• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New TSB for 3.5 GDI Sartup Rattle 15-0131

Started by BiGMaC, September 05, 2015, 10:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

painterpatt

Quote from: SHOdded on June 22, 2016, 11:10:12 PM
The parts do not cross over AFAIK, at best you can see if the revision numbers have been updated.  But it's possible the part numbers are diff for F150 vs SHO/Flex/X/MKS while the actual part is the same.
At least it gives me a list of parts needed, plus the water pump. Only at 54k but may as well while I'm in there
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

68_GT

just had mine fixed

$3,105.02.

Went in for code P0016 because I couldn't pass inspection.

parts list:
intake manifold gasket
timing chain
timing chain
engine variable timing solenoid
camshaft position sensor X 2
flanged hex bolt
timing chain tensioner arm
guide
valve rocker arm cover x 2
crankshaft oil seal asy
silicone sealant
oil filter
oil
timing chain
bolt
antifreeze

I know I have repeat parts in there but they show different part numbers I can post them all later.

car runs like new no more rattle at start up, no more rattle while driving. I'm at 103K miles. about 95 tuned on Livernois Stage 3 tune.

I'm debating putting the stage 3 tune / 3 bar back in. My car ran ok with the stage 3 tune before this repair but when I flashed it back to stock to take it to the dealer it seemed to run a lot better and more powerful ???

maybe the car wasn't responding to the tune properly because of the engine codes and mechanical issues ??

2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

sholxgt

Ouch!  Glad to hear it's back to running good again.

Boggles my mind that Ford continues to have timing chain tensioner issues.  I would have thought that after they replaced thousands and thousands of timing chain assemblies under warranty on the 4.6 v8's that they would have come up with a better design.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

ZSHO

I hope you had an ESP to cover most of the bill....total of 103k on the clock with 95k of Texas Tuned heat contributing to extra stress and  wear and certainly questionable IDK considering the TSB but hopefully she is running to her fullest potential once again and make sure to stay on TOP of the maintenance aspect,plugs,oils,fresh fluids changed at frequent intervals and NOT what Ford recommends and best of luck to ya.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

What, no coolant pump??? LOL!  Yeah, front end work on these engines is EXPENSIVE!  At least you will actually have a warranty on the work.  When work is done under warranty, there is no actual warranty, it is only good until the warranty expires.  So imagine being at the tail end of the warranty when the work is done and having to go back in when out of warranty.  Not fun!

Did they give you any discount on parts and/or labor?  Glad to hear the SHO's back in tiptop condition though, the way it should be :thumb:

I would give it at least 1 full fuel tank's worth of miles to "break in" and sort out potential issues with the work before putting a tune back on.  Make sure the rattle does not return :)

68_GT

I begged for a deal on it with the guy since I got laid off from my criminal justice career job last October, and have been trying to make it work in a commission only sales gig for a security alarm company (but doing well). Initiallyhe said the repair was $3,700 then the final bill was $3,100 saying they saved 2 hours labor ??? No warranty, no discussion of the tune, service guy says the timing chain stretch is from hot rodding the car, but he also could explain how many cams and cam phasers my engine had either.....

should they have replaced my cam pahsers, or coolant pump while they were in there ?!??!?!?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

68_GT

this was Ford Gullo in Conroe TX.

they destroyed my Optima Red Top battery and tried to tell me it was bad and I had to replace it. When I went to pick it up the terminal was pulled out of it ! they claim the battery leaked and made that happen lol... Thankfully Advance Austo warrantied it, although I'm not sure why but glad. And they scratched / gauged my front bumper so I complained after seeing it and got into it with them so now they're going to repaint it.

always something.... runs great feels powerful and smooth for stock and only my spark plugs which are probably ready to be replaced and a K&N air filter drop in.

SHOdded

The phasers are probably ok not to do, but still since they were right there ...  The solenoid were replaced, and that I would DEFINITELY have had done, because there's no way to tell how badly clogged the internal screens are without a teardown.  I mentioned the coolant pump since it's right there after all that work, doesn't cost much, and you already have 100K on your engine.  Would have been nice to have that done at the same time, for sure.  Only heard maybe 1 or 2 cases of failure on an EB engine, so with any luck, it will continue to be a workhorse :)

Wonder if they used an engine hoist of some kind.  I mean, how exactly do you pull a terminal out of a battery???  They couldn't disconnect the cable, so they used the jaws of life on it maybe?  Ridiculous.

Repaint?  Have fun, hope it matches!  Maybe they should pay to have it done properly at a shop of your choice.

68_GT

they do have a top notch body shop so I'm not worried about the paint work. I guess they screwed up the terminal trying to get the cable off to make the repair. I had it on pretty tight so I guess it bit into the terminal, of course no one else takes care of our cars like we do. I would have spent all day trying to remove the cable before screwing up my battery. Yeah he used a little pulley puller jaws of like this to push the terminal out of the cable connector. Dumb.

SoCalFlexin

So i still have this Flex and drive it everyday, it now has 125,000 miles on it and i have been dealing with the startup noise for 120,000 miles and endless trips to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out. I bet they just believe it was a stretched timing chain. Well last weekend i finally took the valve cover off on the front to confirm if i had the old chain set up or the newer one. Luckily i have the newer chain and its never came in contact with anything, not a mark on it. So i was boggled and just changed the VVT solenoid out of pure curiosity and low and behold the start up rattle went away for the first time in many many years. its very frustrating to say the least. I have had to deal with this super loud rattle for 120,000 miles and all the dealer had to do is diagnose the car correctly and fix it, but that never happened.
2012 Titanium EB Flex White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

SHOdded

That is good news.  How permanent it is remains to be seen, but fingers crossed! :)

SoCalFlexin

Quote from: SHOdded on October 08, 2019, 07:09:48 PM
That is good news.  How permanent it is remains to be seen, but fingers crossed! :)

Well probably shouldn't have spoke so soon, it's only been 3 days. I just left work and it did make a slight rattle on cold start up. The crazy thing is that it has to be something to do with the right side VVT solenoid because all I did was change it and the rattle went away for days. Now that I think about it when I took my car under warranty many many times to the dealer for this rattle when I picked it up most times the rattle was gone for a few days after, I use to think because it wasn't being driven for a few days but now maybe it's because they  reflash the computer and reset the solenoid. Please if anyone can offer anything on this please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Titanium EB Flex White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat