• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Fuel Additives - Information, Comparison, & Personal Experiences

Started by SHOdded, September 01, 2015, 11:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on September 22, 2015, 01:18:47 AM
OHHHHH MMMMMMM   FRIGGINNNN  GEEEEEEE.

Since my OBD reader errors last month I think, I had been running my car stock. I left it that way to see if DTC codes or errors reappear in which none of em did. And to re appreciate the 4 plus tune.  SO thanks for those who pointed me to a better OBD 2 reader.

That being said, I decided to retune car today. Since I added the ACES IV to the last 2 fill ups, I figured I would try the 93 4 + X tune. (I only have 91 octane in Cali). Wow, this MF! WOW! The 91 vs 93 tune is night and day. My point with mentioning this here is I don't have 93 octane available to me, so I could never get the "BEST" tune that LMS offers. But the ACES allows the car to run it. I do not have the KR pid's working (I tried) to see if any ill effects but the car runs awesome. Way more aggressive tune. Chirping 1-2, 2-3 shifts. Blasts outta the whole. Had mustang GT that tried to play on my way home from New Mexico. I think after I blew by and around him from about 45 mph to 100 mph, he thought different about wanting to play.

I will be speaking with Brian in coming days about his racing formulation. At this point, LMS I don't think has been contacted to do any trials with its, so I want to see if I use the racing version, and NOT tuned for it, will I see any gains? I may need to get Torrie tunes as he appears more apt to tweak tunes for people. THOUGHTS?
I have some of the race formula but have been unable to try to test that or anything else....

I have a few different combinations i want to try including E20 with both ACES versions.

But yeah, Torrie will definitely continue to ramp up the power as the data logs show safe conditions.

Maybe we should send him a bottle to tune with on the dyno, lol...

FoMoCoSHO

Dxlnt1

I would be willing to help buy a bottle for him to try out. Hopefully with some semi aggressive tuning, may squeeze another 20-50 hp out?

Would Torrie allow any kind of trade in? I have LMS tunes, But I think I would have to buy new tuner plus tunes to use his tunes. Or can you think I could pay a a "tune" fee just for the tunes and use my existing MyCal programmer?
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

Dxlnt1

With the 93 tune the BOV, turbo whistle and exhaust purr are more pronounced. Is that normal?
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on September 22, 2015, 02:18:29 AM
I would be willing to help buy a bottle for him to try out. Hopefully with some semi aggressive tuning, may squeeze another 20-50 hp out?

Would Torrie allow any kind of trade in? I have LMS tunes, But I think I would have to buy new tuner plus tunes to use his tunes. Or can you think I could pay a a "tune" fee just for the tunes and use my existing MyCal programmer?
I don't think he uses the Mycal at all, so yeah IIRC, its about $400 with the X4.

When I bought the 2015, it was $199 since I have the x4 already.

You can always sell the mycal here, but comparisons are always fun especially if you have an extra $400.00 burning a hole in your wallet.

SHOdded

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on September 22, 2015, 02:20:56 AM
With the 93 tune the BOV, turbo whistle and exhaust purr are more pronounced. Is that normal?
Yes, many people have in addition reported hearing a "honk"/duck call type sound with the 4X tune, also with Unleashed's hotter tunes.

I don't believe there is a "trade-in" program, but you have to PM Torrie directly or ask in his subforum (PM is quicker, I think).  In any case, you should ask LME to see if they will give you a tune for the effective octane you are running.  They will be understandably reluctant as they don't endorse fuel additives in the first place (at least for the EB platform).  Call them or PM them or ask the question in their subforum.

What is your goal anyway with the race gas tune?  It certainly wouldn't be a DD tune, and it would be an unknown what if anything, it means for the powertrain in this case.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Very interesting info. Clearly the experiment impressed you a lot... I'd be really interested to see the KR numbers on stock vs 91 4x vs 93 4x...dyno and real world would be interesting too...and comparing I'd also be interested in the numbers on winter blend oxygenated gas vs summer blend. Did you run 91 vs 93 octane tunes for your impressions? I have the same problem in AZ .... Stuck with 91 octane at the pump. If it all looks safe in the OBD monitoring it could be a true boon. I have been holding off on the ACES products for this kind of info. As far as the tune, your choice... But if the numbers pan out I'd this could be the reason for me to pull the trigger on ACES since I'm personally not into tune tweaking...due to my laziness... So I'd love it to make an LME tune as strong as this seems to be for you by running 93 v8 instead of 91 v8.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Dxlnt1

Well I will be trying to figure out the KR pid later today. Going on my "workout" now.

But No I do not have an "extra" $400 laying around but I thought Torrie used the MyCal as well. So how would I get an effective octane rating number to give to LMS for them to modify the tune? And then what exactly would I need to monitor to show that everything is working safely?

As for goals of using racing formula, like you Tom I don't like any mod or add on to look like an add on. Which is partially why I will be dumping the Airraid CAI in the coming months. Just have to dig the factory intake out of the shed. But If I can add the racing formula of ACES, I get a modified tune to take advantage of it then seems my car could be at 450-475 hp with no meth. Detune it a bit for daily driving since that is how car is driven. Not a track car but would love to have track performance on tap. Thus far, I am HAPPY with the 93 tune. I want/need to get the info to verify all is good. But doesn't appear to pulling timing, no knocking or pinging, instant throttle response. So if you only have access to 91 octane my preliminary reports are you are safe to use the 93 octane tune by using the ACES IV. Just my non scientific observation.

SHOdded

Unleashed = SCT, LME = MyCal

You can guesstimate effective octane using info from Brian/BND, then ask for a tune for gas a couple of octane points lower, to give yourself headroom.

But getting yourself setup with Forscan on iDevice or Forscan/Torque Pro on Android is the way most of us datalog currently.  ecoboostsho's hard work with Torque PIDs comes in real handy.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Dxlnt1

Cant get Torque to read the obdlink mx.

Obdlink software can't get it to read the pid

SHOdded

Return the MX WiFi, get the VGate/VLink/iCar WiFi from Amazon.  Works without a hitch on Adroid/Apple devices.
http://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Diagnostic-iPhone-Switch-Sleep/dp/B00PFFG1EO

The only thing is it takes 1/2 hr to go to "sleep".  I usually yank it when done.  You can also get a cheapo OBDII port extender if you anticipate using the adapter frequently.

Dxlnt1

The obd readers from ?????? caused a bunch of errors in dash readings before. So I won't be using anymore of those.

Tom since you only have 91 octane too, and you probably already do some data logging are you willing to load to 93 tune and log it? You won't be disappointed I a can assure you.

You could probably get log results faster than me. I gotta figure out why mine isn't reading. I am returning the mx for replacement to see if I just got a lemon.

BigPelo

My experience with ACES IV:

2 fill up on the SHO, not much to report, I probably have to reset the computer or re-tune to benefit.

3 fill up on the WRX and WOW! It's a 2L engine with a 20G turbo so low RPM was pretty dead on torque but since running ACES IV, the part throotle low RPM "get up and go" is much MUCH improve. Turbo is faster to respond and the tail pipe seems to be cleaning itself. This is all happening in the "close loop" part of the tune, where variable valves timing is in use. When going WOT or higher boost "open loop" tune, not much has changed. So a dyno re-tune for the open-loop should help benefits from the ACES IV, I guess. But at a 10.8 AFR, the tune is too rich anyway.

Running Petro-Canada 94 octane in both cars.

EDIT: forgot to say, the WRX engine is running smoother too. It was already a happy reving well balanced motor (EJ207) so I am impressed!
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

SHOdded

What ratio of ACES did you use in the SHO & WRX, BigPelo?

BigPelo

Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd