• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Fuel Additives - Information, Comparison, & Personal Experiences

Started by SHOdded, September 01, 2015, 11:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

This thread is where you can consolidate any/all discussions of fuel additives - for whatever you are using them for, for whatever you have heard them used for.  Please post links/attachments as available to help facilitate discussion & understanding :)

==============================

A brief intro to Ferrous Picrate :)
http://www.fpc1.com/faq.php
http://www.fpc1.com/test_reports/public/to%20be%20combined/Fuel%20Technology%20PtyLtd/scan0008.pdf

Difference between Ferrocene & Ferrous Picrate:
http://www.fpc1.com/sci_ferrocene.php
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BND 370 Hemi

I neglected to mention that ANY METALS in the fuel are bad news long term.  We have to add metal deactivation compounds in ACES IV to deal with the normal copper and vanadium that is inherent in the fuels that cause gum, varnish and deposits.

Ferrous Picrate, Ferro organo metallic complexes , any copper, platinum, cerium or rhodium products in any form should be avoided.   They cause such problems that we had to independently test ACES for all of these metals as no metals are allowed if you supply a fuel additive to the military for military vehicles:

AL,Sb,Ba,B,Ca,Cr,Cu,Fe,Pb,K,Mg,Mo,Na,Ni,P,Si,Ag,Sn,Zn,Sr,V,Ti,and Cd all below 1 ppm!

The additives that contain these are also acidic and cause problems with your oils as well. 

These are the facts even though there may be people here that are presently fans of them!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

92BlackGT

I went through my first tank of gas with ACES IV in there. After a 30 mile drive right after the fill up I noticed how quiet it was under the hood. I can't hear the HPFP anymore, it just sounds like a typical DOHC engine under the hood now. My second drive i noticed hesitation when applying gas. I was pulling out of a parking lot and hit the gas but didn't move much, just kept idling. After a couple of seconds, the car finally started to accelerate like it should but the drive down the freeway I could feel hesitation and the Instant MPG meter was reading really low.
Later that night my drive to work felt normal and ever since then it has been normal. MPG's are roughly the same as before but it is still nice and quiet under the hood. I'm going on a 1500 mile road trip this weekend so we'll see how she does. I got 27 mpg on a trip to Memphis in July but that has a 1000 ft total elevation drop. OKC to Rochester, MN is a pretty dang flat drive, only 170 ft total elevation drop. Hopefully i'll be getting the same or better MPG
'14 Taurus SHO - non PP, Unleashed E20 tune, 3 bar - 12.91 @ 106.5 mph
'93 Mustang Coupe - AFR 165's, FTI cam, ported Cobra intake - 13.05 @ 105.6 mph

FoMoCoSHO

That is so weird....

I went from a E-85 + meth blend to ACES and straight 93 and the car didn't miss a beat.

92BlackGT

i never did pull the battery cable or reset the ECU in any way. i am completely stock but other than that one hiccup its been good ever since.
After this wedding happens in 2 weeks I'll be able to get with Torrie and get a tune. I'm looking forward to results you get with the tune, FoMoCo

92BlackGT

well, my road trip went without incident and I put over 1600 miles on the car. MPG going to Minnesota was 27.8 going mostly 70 to 80 with the cruise set to 80 in most of Kansas. Winds were calm and it was in the 90's most of the way until dark and then dropped into the 70's and very humid. The way back I got 25.2 MPG but had a pretty stiff headwind. Kansas and Oklahoma there was a good 20 mph wind. I ran whatever premium the gas station happened to have. Most were 91 E10 (Minnesota had 92 E10).
My exhaust tips are staying a lot cleaner so that's another benefit of this ACES IV.

ZSHO

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on September 03, 2015, 05:05:57 PM
That is so weird....

I went from a E-85 + meth blend to ACES and straight 93 and the car didn't miss a beat.
whats a gallon of that moonshine going for,thanks.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: 92BlackGT on September 03, 2015, 01:48:49 PM
I went through my first tank of gas with ACES IV in there. After a 30 mile drive right after the fill up I noticed how quiet it was under the hood. I can't hear the HPFP anymore, it just sounds like a typical DOHC engine under the hood now. My second drive i noticed hesitation when applying gas. I was pulling out of a parking lot and hit the gas but didn't move much, just kept idling. After a couple of seconds, the car finally started to accelerate like it should but the drive down the freeway I could feel hesitation and the Instant MPG meter was reading really low.
Later that night my drive to work felt normal and ever since then it has been normal. MPG's are roughly the same as before but it is still nice and quiet under the hood. I'm going on a 1500 mile road trip this weekend so we'll see how she does. I got 27 mpg on a trip to Memphis in July but that has a 1000 ft total elevation drop. OKC to Rochester, MN is a pretty dang flat drive, only 170 ft total elevation drop. Hopefully i'll be getting the same or better MPG
I've been thinking about this and it makes me think the ACES may have disloged some sort of injector build up and then it needed a little time to break it up.....

Dxlnt1

My quick and dirty recap of ACES IV. First, these comments do NOT pertain to my SHO but rather my daily driver 2004 GMC Yukon XL 4x4.

The truck just tipped 100k miles few months ago. I was interested in preserving it. Vehicle has ZERO issues with running, starting, shifting, cooling etc. The only complaint is gas mileage. In which I average roughly 10 mpg city, and 13 mpg highway. Upon initial installation of the ACES I did notice my throttle response was much improved. And although the engine bay was and engine in general was already very quiet, it seemed quieter! I was overdue for trans, coolant and differential changes so I took the opportunity to replace those fluids with the BND brands. Again, I cant quantify any improvement per se, because the truck was already awesome.

I compared a 760 mile trip taken last year in the GMC and an 825 mile trip last week in the GMC. Initially I thought I achieved better mpg as that's what my mileage log showed on last entry screen. But after analyzing numbers, and using averages for trip duration I actually achieved almost 1 mpg LESS using the ACES. 13.872 vs 14.776. I spoke with Brian at BND and the initial thought was I may need to run more since the truck is a high mileage vehicle. My SHO is at 60k miles, so can use this as reference. Brian and I spoke and the thought was emissions test results would really show  what the ACES is doing. So if anyone is due for emissions testing, consider getting before and after emissions (exhaust) test. Especially if no access to dyno. I will be using more as a quieter engine bay is more gooder right? The ACES definitely quieted the SHO engine bay. As the SHO is the most noisiest car I have ever owned as far as under the hood "noise".

The return trip in 2014 shows a steep decline in mileage. This is because driving over the "Grapevine" here in California. Which is roughly 40 miles of hill at 5-7% grade.

I just thought about this, the trip last year on the return half, I was pulling a U-Haul trailer. Maybe 4000 lbs loaded. Now Im really stumped.

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

FoMoCoSHO

There are so many damn variables when trying to calculate MPG's so for me, any perceived benefit is just a possible bonus nothing else.

Trip length, terrain, weather, altitude, loaded weight, fuel type, quality, octane (labeled vs actual pumped in), bad mood, construction, red lights, yellow lights, toll booths, LEO's, naggy wife, astral sign, I mean damn I'd just drive myself nuts trying to account for the multitude of variables.

One of my trip monitors has not been reset since I bought the car. Prior to ACES (4Kish miles) I was at a miserly 14 MPG (LOL!) Over the last couple of fill ups with the ACES, I am up to 14.7, WOOHOO! Does that mean I'm getting better mileage? Maybe? Maybe the motor is breaking in? Maybe I've just been a kinder, gentler FoMoCoSHO.....doubtful, LOL!

I'd suspect it will just take some time for ACES to clean up 100K of crap...Having to burn years of deposits is bound to affect FE in a negative way.

For now I would just drive it and try to figure out some way to get a somewhat consistent testing methodology maybe using a specific piece of road, consistent pump, and the built in mileage tool if that vehicle has them. The problem now is the "genie is out of the bottle" so to speak.

If you've been tracking religiously I'm sure some possibly better data will begin to emerge over time. I'd say driving in your normal sphere of influence will yield better data anyway.

Good luck, keep us updated, and try not to drive yourself batshit crazy figuring it out, LOL!

Edit-When I averaged your tank ending MPGs

12.65 Pre ACES
14.64 After ACES

Disclosure- My mental faculties have not 100% returned so my math could be off.

I added the pre aces ending MPG's totals and divided by 5
Did the same for post ACES and divided by 4 (threw out the 0 ending tank)

Dxlnt1

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on September 16, 2015, 01:07:42 AM
There are so many damn variables when trying to calculate MPG's so for me, any perceived benefit is just a possible bonus nothing else.

Trip length, terrain, weather, altitude, loaded weight, fuel type, quality, octane (labeled vs actual pumped in), bad mood, construction, red lights, yellow lights, toll booths, LEO's, naggy wife, astral sign, I mean damn I'd just drive myself nuts trying to account for the multitude of variables.

One of my trip monitors has not been reset since I bought the car. Prior to ACES (4Kish miles) I was at a miserly 14 MPG (LOL!) Over the last couple of fill ups with the ACES, I am up to 14.7, WOOHOO! Does that mean I'm getting better mileage? Maybe? Maybe the motor is breaking in? Maybe I've just been a kinder, gentler FoMoCoSHO.....doubtful, LOL!

I'd suspect it will just take some time for ACES to clean up 100K of crap...Having to burn years of deposits is bound to affect FE in a negative way.

For now I would just drive it and try to figure out some way to get a somewhat consistent testing methodology maybe using a specific piece of road, consistent pump, and the built in mileage tool if that vehicle has them. The problem now is the "genie is out of the bottle" so to speak.

If you've been tracking religiously I'm sure some possibly better data will begin to emerge over time. I'd say driving in your normal sphere of influence will yield better data anyway.

Good luck, keep us updated, and try not to drive yourself batshit crazy figuring it out, LOL!

Edit-When I averaged your tank ending MPGs

12.65 Pre ACES
14.64 After ACES

Disclosure- My mental faculties have not 100% returned so my math could be off.

I added the pre aces ending MPG's totals and divided by 5
Did the same for post ACES and divided by 4 (threw out the 0 ending tank)

OK, now all thats funny lol. I love it. But when calculating mileage according to my chart remember I was calculating just for the trip itself. Which was to to allow for a good run in under load. I will look at the rest of the data and compare LONG TERM up to this point. I have very little doubt the ACES  isn't helping just trying to quantify it scientifically is challenging for me with my limited resources.

I do not rely on a vehicles ecm to calculate mileage. THAT IS TOTALLY BOGUS TO ME!  I record mileage at EVERY fill up and gas stop. So I can get a real world test result for my driving. The long trip was my driving on steroids. Probably averaged  80 mph. Some burst up to maybe 110 mph. Mostly though I just cruised.

You right about cleaning 100k of crap which is why I reordered a gallon of the ACES IV. When I get the gallon in I will make a special 400 mile trip in the SHO to get a good run in with it. But since I already added to ACES to SHO I only wish I had done emissions and/or dyno testing first to see for myself the improvements realized.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Dxlnt1

Quote from: SHOdded on September 16, 2015, 04:54:52 AM
Here is my preliminary analysis.  Phun with Numbers :D

Spot on analysis lol.

For my truck, my interest has always been longevity, mpg, and performance. In that order. So the MPG calcs are the only numbers to quantify any realized gain. I will NOT take my 9000 lb truck to the track or dyno. That is not needed for my real world daily driver. Not that kind of vehicle.

For the SHO my priorities will be longevity, performance and mpg. In that order. I need real world test results for real world driving. Not tricks and/or gimmicks. Which is why I do NOT depend on the vehicles ecm "calculated" mpg. Rather actual mileage.

I have mileage collected on my cars for about 5 years. Only time the numbers got a bit out of whack is the times when I changed devices to record the data. I am changing again soon as I HATE my android phone. Going back to iPhone. But trying to compare apples to apples becomes more challenging. No pun intended. As was stated, time of day, quality of gas, mood of significant other, LEO's in area all contributing factors.

SHOdded

"apples to apples" LOL.  Data collection, especially over a prolonged period, is a daunting task.  The hope is that the "average" of the miscellaneous factors involved follows a straight & predicatable path, and major deviations are duly noted.

Dxlnt1

OHHHHH MMMMMMM   FRIGGINNNN  GEEEEEEE.

Since my OBD reader errors last month I think, I had been running my car stock. I left it that way to see if DTC codes or errors reappear in which none of em did. And to re appreciate the 4 plus tune.  SO thanks for those who pointed me to a better OBD 2 reader.

That being said, I decided to retune car today. Since I added the ACES IV to the last 2 fill ups, I figured I would try the 93 4 + X tune. (I only have 91 octane in Cali). Wow, this MF! WOW! The 91 vs 93 tune is night and day. My point with mentioning this here is I don't have 93 octane available to me, so I could never get the "BEST" tune that LMS offers. But the ACES allows the car to run it. I do not have the KR pid's working (I tried) to see if any ill effects but the car runs awesome. Way more aggressive tune. Chirping 1-2, 2-3 shifts. Blasts outta the whole. Had mustang GT that tried to play on my way home from New Mexico. I think after I blew by and around him from about 45 mph to 100 mph, he thought different about wanting to play.

I will be speaking with Brian in coming days about his racing formulation. At this point, LMS I don't think has been contacted to do any trials with its, so I want to see if I use the racing version, and NOT tuned for it, will I see any gains? I may need to get Torrie tunes as he appears more apt to tweak tunes for people. THOUGHTS?