• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rear Diff Drain plug

Started by bamsho, March 05, 2016, 03:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamsho

Well I've been working on this project here.  Every since I sucked out the rear diff fluid out of my '12 last fall, which was a pain in the butt.  So I been brainstorming about away to put a drain plug in.  So I remembered an old episode on Powernation about how they put one in.  So I did it and FYI, I'm not a professional welder and using a Harbor freight 110V mig welder, so yes the welds are very UGLY.  I used little JB Weld to help it look better.  I took the cover to work and put some thin oil we use on the presses to do my final check for leaks, after 8 hours of oil sitting in the cover, NO LEAKS!!  So going to install the cover on my '13 this week when the weather gets nicer.

2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

SHOdded

For those wanting a video on how to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21CvanhKILA

Tighten the bolts to 23 Nm (17 lb-ft), and the filler plug to 29 Nm (21 lb-ft).
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nickstewartroc

I know this is an old post, but figured I'd add what I did in case anyone stumbles upon the post like I had. I drained the rear diff on my Flex and figured I'd go through the procedure above, before realizing I had blocked my welder in. I got to thinking and looking at the rear diff and the flange at the bottom seemed to be the perfect size to drill/tap for a plug. Used a 1/8-27 NPT tap and plug.
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

SHOdded

Good location.  Did you loctite the plug?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nickstewartroc

I did not, honestly hadn't thought of it, but also not sure how well loctite would react to the oil in the threads. I'll put a paint marker type line on it and keep an eye on it for any movement though

Quote from: SHOdded on August 23, 2018, 05:35:24 PM
Good location.  Did you loctite the plug?
Current:

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

fordfanstan

Just updating the thread with my solution for rear diff drain plug. I followed what nickstewartroc did above. I went with a larger 1/4" NPT plug. I first ground the flashing so I had a flat and smooth surface. Then started with a 1/6" drill bit, 1/8" bit, 1/4" bit and lastly the 7/16" bit. Then tapped. After cleaning up I installed the stainless plug with RTV and its holding fine so far. Below is list of parts and pics.

I also used a cutoff wheel and took off the unnecessary hanger and then sprayed some stain black rust preventative paint over the frame in the area.

nickstewartroc

Current:

ZSHO

@- fordfanstan Nice job! Z  :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|