• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" Retro-Fit 2013 Auxiliary Trans Cooler Onto '10-'12 SHO / EB Engines

Started by bpd1151, July 05, 2013, 11:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

Here is my Official "How-To" on Retro-Fitting the 2013 Aux Tranny Cooler onto the 2010-2012 SHO / EB 3.5 V6 Motor.....

1st, this install was performed on a NON ACC EQUIPPED car. For those of you with ACC, you will have to either consider relocating the ACC radar itself to an entirely new location, or possibly doing away with it altogether. The verdict is still out on where to place, or what exactly to do with the ACC radar as this mod is still relatively new, (having been completed on 04/17/12) and not enough install s have performed by others as of yet.

2nd, although bumper removal is not entirely necessary, it goes w/o saying, that it'll make the overall job a helluva lot easier.

3rd, a trans cooler disconnect tool, such as this one found here------> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TQ6P40/ref=pe_175190_21431760_C1_cs_sce_dp_1 will also make the job a helluva lot easier, but like the bumper removal, is not necessary. I did it the easy way by simply cutting my old trans lines as I had no intention of reusing the OEM cooling lines, but others have found that simply unscrewing the 19mm nuts on the steel tubes entering into the thermal bypass valve will also accomplish the task at hand just as easily.

4th, although you can find these parts at any local dealer, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND completing a purchase through our EBPF SUPPORTING VENDOR UNLEASHED TUNING as they have complete kits, ready to go, and at a disocunted price to boot! :thumb: You may find those kits here------> http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com/content/view/42/

5th (& finally), this was an approximate 2hr install from bumper removal, removing the old OEM lines, and installing/retro-fitting the new 2013 parts and wrapping it all back up. This was at a VERY relaxed pace. But this should provide you with some sort of time frame to set aside for this project.

For those of you doing this mod, it's as simple as loosening 3 bolts, 2 nuts, and drilling 2 holes and blamo, done!

The following parts will be needed, and anything beyond is really unnecessary.....

Auxiliary Cooler, DG1Z7A095D List price from Ford @ $161.46

Tube Assembly, DG1Z-7R081-J List price from Ford @ $122.05

Tube Assembly (w/ New Thermal Bypass Valve), DG1Z-7R081-A List price from Ford @ $67.82

Outlet Tube / Hose, DG1Z-7W064-A List price from Ford @ $19.72

Inlet Tube / Hose, DG1Z-7W063-A List price from Ford @ $16.30

Gray Plastic Latch / Retainer (Qty 2), 8C3Z-7Z465-A List price from Ford @ $9.00 each

As well as two, self tapping bolts of your own choosing, found at any local hardware store (to mount the auxiliary cooler itself to the underside of the front frame rail).

You will NOT need any extra nuts, bolts, hose clamps, etc. etc as originally thought.

I did end up re-using two of the hose clamps from the old parts, and placed those where the Inlet, and Outlet tubes/hoses connect to the auxiliary cooler itself.

I also ended up re-using two of the gray plastic latches from the old parts, and placed those onto the new hose / tube assembly's.

I also end up using two common, self tapping bolts, found at any local hardware store, to mount the cooler itself to the frame rail.

So now I have a bunch of parts left over that aren't really even necessary as I re-used the two bolts (one each) located at the point where the tubes connect to the top of the trans housing itself.

There are also two nuts where the thermal bypass valve is fastened to the car, which I also re-used those.

Essentially, you WILL have to remove the entire front bumper clip in order to perform this mod correctly / successfully.

Check for my "How-To" on the front bumper removal for assistance on that aspect of it.

Once you've removed the front bumper, you will then have to remove the air cleaner box / assembly.

Afterwards, you will need to loosen the two bolts (one each) found at the top of the trans housing. One is located pretty much under the air box itself. See/Refer to pic below:

It should look like this after you've loosened the bolt and removed it:

The 2nd bolt (which looks EXACTLY like the 1st one pictured above) is located literally just to the rear of the battery, closer to the engine block. Simply follow the cooler line back and peer down from the rear of the battery, and you'll see it. See/Refer to the below pics:

Removing the battery is NOT necessary to do as there is plenty of room to slide your hand under the battery itself to wiggle the cooler line out from under it. When removing this bolt, I doubled up two socket extensions in order to get the socket to reach down on top of the bolt to loosen it.

Next up, loosen the two nuts that hold the thermal bypass valve onto the car (just above and slightly to the left of my finger in this pic below):

There is one last bolt that is located towards the front of the stock cooler, that holds the vertical tube assembly's into place (to the right side of the stock cooler if you were to be facing the car). It bolts the hangar into place.

You will then need to have a second set of hands to help hold the auxiliary cooler itself into place, in order to mark the holes where you will need to drill into the bottom portion of the front frame rail.

If you look at this pic below, off to the left, the black mounting bracket that comes attached to the cooler, there is a "T" or a tab that will need to be bent downwards (and out of the way) so that the top of the bracket sits flush with the underside of the frame rail.

The tab is on the right side of the that mounting bracket in this pic.

Then simply re-install all the new tube assembly's back into the EXACT SAME POSITION where the old one's were previously located, using the EXACT SAME NUTS AND BOLTS.

Re-attach your gray plastic latches as seen below. Two used near the thermal bypass valve, the other two used where the Inlet and Outlet Tubes coming from the auxiliary cooler and attaching to the lower portion of the vertical tube assembly's coming off of the stock cooler. See/Refer to the two pics below:

Then be sure to top off your trans fluid as I lost about a 1/2 quart simply when disconnecting all of the old parts off of, and away from the car, and then you'll have to add about another 1/4 of a quart or so to make up for the added volume of the auxiliary cooler.

Here's a finished pic my install:

Sorry for the blurry pic...... One last note, when attaching the Inlet and Outlet tubes to the auxiliary cooler itself, I chose to drill the holes and mount the cooler BEFORE attaching the Inlet/Outlet tubes. Why?

Well because there is excess length of hose that will need to be cut / trimmed down, before performing the final attachment to the cooler. Also, this where I re-used the old hose clamps from the old assembly.

Seriously this install was a piece of cake  :bangin:

POST INSTALL RESULTS:

If you don't drive it like you stole it........

My tranny temps have generally been staying within the 160-170 range. Closer to 160 in all honesty.

If you do drive it fairly aggressively (outside air temps being in the 80's) I have found that the tranny temps have stayed at 180.

Prior to installing this Auxiliary Trans Cooler, the temps I was seeing were typically around 200-205 during normal driving.

Spirited driving, those temps shot quickly up to, and just slightly past, 220.

Even then, those temps would skyrocket very quickly to those extremes before this install.

Post install, the temps are much more controlled, rise slowly, and reduce back down to the 160-170 range (from 180) under spirited driving.

Overall, I am VERY happy with this mod, and I thank FMC for developing this product with such ease, that it easily retro-fitted onto prior model years.

GREAT JOB FMC :hail:

bpd1151

For those of you looking for the official diagram (of differences) between the 2010-12 OEM set-up VS. the new, 2013 re-design.....

See/Refer to the attachment.

BlueSHO

Does anyone sell the complete kit to do this upgrade?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

bpd1151

Yes, Ford Motor Company.

Or use the part numbers provided, to source your own vendor.

The labor, etc. is all on you. Thus why I authored this tutorial.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BlueSHO

Quote from: bpd1151 on February 23, 2016, 12:25:18 PM
Yes, Ford Motor Company.

Or use the part numbers provided, to source your own vendor.

The labor, etc. is all on you. Thus why I authored this tutorial.

LOL..Mike I thought maybe a vendor here had everything packaged for a easy vendor support purchase. Anyway I talked to Matt about installation and just purchased all the parts needed from Ford. Total cost was 300 bucks for everything. Thanks for your leg work on what I think all ecoboost's show have for trans cooling.
2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

bpd1151

No problem.

I don't mind helping out where ever I can.

Matt's good peeps, & that'll likely be THE BEST $300 you invested in.

Good luck!

BlueSHO

Here are the part numbers and prices I ordered for my 16 SHO. One of the part numbers was different than what Mike had and maybe this was because of a change they made from when he did his cooler install. Some of the things like clamps, o-rings and seals maybe can be used over again but I went with all new.

DG1Z-7A095-D
TRANS COOLER
$120.85

DG1Z-7W063-A
TUBE
$11.74

DG1Z-7W064-A
PIPE
$14.45

8C2Z-7C107-A
PIPE CLAMP
$5.48

DA5Z-7R081-A
INLET TUBE
$46.99

8C3Z-7Z465-A
INLET TUBE RETAINER CLIP
$10.36

DG1Z-7R081-A
COOLER PIPE
$50.56

5L7Z-7J324-A
COOLER PIPE O-RING
$17.46

5L7Z-7D285-A
COOLER PIPE SEAL
$16.64
2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Vvvdannyvvv

this will be one the first upgrades along with breaks i'll do!!! Thanks for the post and part numbers you are a legend!
2012 SHO
Plugs, 3 bar, Catless dp, springs
Fastest Run stock 13.9 full weight plus extra
Fastest run on LMS 93 Race tune 12.41 full weight.
Fastest run on Ortiz TBD

ZSHO

bpd1151 exceptional "How To" as usual with well illustrated PICS that will serve the Ecoboost community,platform well for many generations.  Z   :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

bamsho

Just FYI FORD may have updated the part number.  So double check when ordering.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

DaveBey

Thank you very much for posting this how-to. It really helped me when I added the auxiliary transmission fluid cooler to my 2010 Lincoln MKT a couple months ago.

There is plenty of room for the auxiliary transmission fluid cooler behind the bumper cover on the MKT. The transmission fluid cooler outlet is clocked differently between the Taurus and MKT A/C condensers, so I removed the transmission fluid cooler inlet & outlet tube and hose assembly from the mounting bracket to get things to line up. I removed the battery and battery tray which made removing and installing everything easy.

I also replaced the front bumper since the 2010 bumper was superseded by the 2013 bumper with the auxiliary transmission fluid cooler mounting provisions.

I purchased four transmission fluid cooler tube secondary latches and I am glad I did as one of the existing latches was cracked.

With the auxiliary transmission fluid cooler, the highest I have seen my transmission fluid is just under 175° with the outside temperature at 100°.

Here are the parts I purchased.

1x | DG1Z-7A095-D | Auxiliary transmission fluid cooler
1x | DG1Z-7R081-A | Transmission fluid cooler thermal bypass valve and tube assembly
1x | DG1Z-7R081-J | Auxiliary transmission fluid cooler tube and hose assembly
1x | DG1Z-7W063-A | Auxiliary transmission fluid cooler inlet tube and hose assembly
1x | DG1Z-7W064-A | Auxiliary transmission fluid cooler outlet tube and hose assembly
4x | 8C3Z-7Z465-A | Transmission fluid cooler tube secondary latches
2x | 8C2Z-7C107-A | Clamp
3x | W710879-S439 | Auxiliary transmission fluid cooler bolt
2x | W712146-S437 | Transmission fluid cooler tube bolt
1x | DG1Z-17757-A | Front bumper
8x | W707050-S436 | Front bumper bolt
2010 Lincoln MKT AWD | Gearhead intercooler | Gearhead tuning | PPE Engineering downpipes | Eco Power Parts hot pipes | Eco Power Parts intake | Motorcraft SP542 spark plugs at .026 | Motorcraft CX2594 MAP sensor | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can with Clean Side Separator | 2013+ Motorcraft heavy-duty brakes | Goodridge G-Stop Brakeline Kit | 2013+ Ford auxiliary transmission cooler