• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tune + Fuel Options

Started by 14SHOCAR, August 31, 2015, 10:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

You are only filling 17 gallons in toto?  Assuming E10 as the base gas, 1:16 gets you 14.7% while 1.5:15.5 gets you 17.3% ethanol.  That's for the first time.  If there is gasoline remaining, then each time the ethanol % gets slightly higher.

Could be bad gas or an intake leak as well if there is a "popping" sound.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

I've been mixing 1.5 gallons to 13 gallons of 93 (10% E) for almost a full year now. Zero issues here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

FoMoCoSHO

What exactly did it throw off?

I've had 2 SHO's tuned, untuned, stock, and every blend you can think of and never had an issue. (except that one time I was playing fast and loose with the blend in really cold weather coupled with an aggressive tune, but that was purely self inflicted, lol.)

You can get some lazy throttle response initially but that goes away as the car trims the mixture.

IDK why you'd have popping out the exhaust suddenly, that's not something i've ever heard anyone describe from mixing E. And there's a lot of guys with lots of different setups blending if you look across the Ecoboost spectrum.

You might want to check your blowoff tubes as some cars have apparently had fitting caps left in at the factory.

Also consider you are possibly on winter gas instead of summer now.

Are you monitoring with Torque or something similar?

If so, take a look at OAR octane adjust ratio (aka LOR) and see if it's at -1. If it's anything above that I would consider filling up at another station as there may be something amiss with your current tank.

ZSHO

I would also check if any of the weep holes under the muffler are clogged,black soot and condenation could of blocked those holes leading to rust buildup,sounds like you might have one side clogged up,grab a small phillips screw driver and check underneath.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Didn't you do an exhaust recently?

Any possibility the fiberglass is just burning in?

pejohnson

Quote from: SHOnUup on October 05, 2015, 02:54:44 PM
I've been mixing 1.5 gallons to 13 gallons of 93 (10% E) for almost a full year now. Zero issues here.

That's good information to have right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

ZSHO

I have to travel to a different state in order to obtain E-85,what would be the most practical solution to add E-85 to a empty tank considering 93(E-10)is available and how much E-85 should be added to the mix,(before or after)apologize if this question was asked before,trying to prepare for the winter ***blend to kick in,thanks.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Air & watertight container to store E85, and a pump for that container to add the fuel to your car.  Use the calculator here to figure the %ages:
http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9JN4S or
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9P83S or
http://www.jerrycan.com/shop/20-liter-yellow-steel-wavian-jerry-can/

and
http://www.amazon.com/Flo-08338-MaxFlo-Siphon-Pump/dp/B003TG9J36

Another thing you COULD do is carry a weighing scale with you.  Weigh the empty container.  Fill it up.  Weigh again.  When disbursing, have the container on the scale.  When the weight drops to the volume you want disbursed, stop pumping.  Somewhat clunky process, but cheaper than getting a flow meter on the pump from what I have seen on the consumer market.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on October 05, 2015, 10:07:40 PM
Air & watertight container to store E85, and a pump for that container to add the fuel to your car.  Use the calculator here to figure the %ages:
http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html
Thanks -MANU,you da man.  Z

14SHOCAR

Thanks for all the replies.

I think it was my car adjusting to the new gas. The car was 100% 93 octane when I went back to the E85 Mixture. I've been spacing out the e85 mixtures every couple of tanks so I can get a "true mix". I still had gas in the tank so it was 1.5 (E85) to 15.5 (93). It was only during WOT between 2nd and 3rd that it was starting to lose power, which I assume the "popping" is the car opening the waste gates (not misfires, though it could be). It was doing a similar thing when I had the cat-less downpipes on.

The car didn't have the WOT pop before I put in the e85 mixture. I am almost always at WOT in my car -- it's how I drive. The car was stable until I made the new mix. The 1.0(e85) to 15.5 (e85) mixture was stable and didn't have any popping.. it was only after I added that additional half gallon that the car started  to pop.

My car has now adjusted to the new mix and I don't get popping anymore with the new mixture.

It raises the question -- if you make the change, do you need to keep the mix for the LOR and curves to remain consistent?

18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOdded

You did add the E85 before adding in the "regular" gas, correct?  Not advisable to top off with E85 due to fuel mixing concerns in the saddle-design fuel tank.

14SHOCAR

Correct. It's always e85 before the remaining 93.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOnUup

Was this "popping" sound right after a fuel up?

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

Quote from: ZSHO on October 05, 2015, 09:56:33 PM
I have to travel to a different state in order to obtain E-85,what would be the most practical solution to add E-85 to a empty tank considering 93(E-10)is available and how much E-85 should be added to the mix,(before or after)apologize if this question was asked before,trying to prepare for the winter ***blend to kick in,thanks.  Z

To battle the winter blend only, not going after power. I think just a gallon of corn to 13-15 gallons of normal fuel should be sufficient to prevent pre-detonation.

Air tight canister is a must if storing for any amount of time due to its want to absorb water.

I always add my corn first, but I get it from the same station which makes it easy for me.

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOnUup on October 06, 2015, 01:08:48 PM

Quote from: ZSHO on October 05, 2015, 09:56:33 PM

To battle the winter blend only, not going after power. I think just a gallon of corn to 13-15 gallons of normal fuel should be sufficient to prevent pre-detonation.

Air tight canister is a must if storing for any amount of time due to its want to absorb water.

I always add my corn first, but I get it from the same station which makes it easy for me.

What would you recommend for power gains,thanks.  Z