• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tune + Fuel Options

Started by 14SHOCAR, August 31, 2015, 10:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCSHO341

Doesn't look like it works with iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Try the vGate iCar WiFi adapter, works quite well with Android/iOS devices.  And no, e85 is not a necessity to make your SHO run well, but if you are in the hunt for a bit of improvement, it's worth a shot.  Try and use the same station/pump each time for consistency.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

USMCSHO341

Nah my goal is to do a tune , complete exhaust (installed tomorrow) tstat, plugs, 3bar, and a mdesign cai hopefully. Is that good enough? And what should I expect as far as gains from a livernoise tune. I have purchased most of the items from a board member. I'm hoping for a night and day difference. But I'm unsure how effective it'll be here in this Houston heat and humidity.

BiGMaC

Quote from: USMCSHO341 on September 01, 2015, 06:30:40 PM
The WiFi version of the MX works with iOS devices... iPhones, iPads ... Also windows
https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxwf.html?gclid=CMqI_J321scCFRSIfgod2ZkMSQ

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

USMCSHO341

Quote from: BiGMaC on September 01, 2015, 06:52:27 PM
Quote from: USMCSHO341 on September 01, 2015, 06:30:40 PM
The WiFi version of the MX works with iOS devices... iPhones, iPads ... Also windows
https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxwf.html?gclid=CMqI_J321scCFRSIfgod2ZkMSQ
thanks bro I'll check it out in a bit. I'm about to start my Chem class. Gotta love learning about colloids and emulsions!

SHOdded

I will actively discourage people from getting the OBDLink MX WiFi product until I hear it has been stabilized.  For some reason, it has been a real nuisance to work with from the get-go.

I don't see why the vGate device wouldn't work with the iPhone.  Did someone specifically mention that?
http://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Diagnostic-iPhone-Switch-Sleep/dp/B00PFFG1EO/
and a related helpful review for use with the iPhone:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RMKFF5AIRPADS/

Colloids & emulsions. Will come pretty handy with the DGI systems :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on September 01, 2015, 07:13:19 PM
I will actively discourage people from getting the OBDLink MX WiFi product until I hear it has been stabilized.  For some reason, it has been a real nuisance to work with from the get-go.

I don't see why the vGate device wouldn't work with the iPhone.  Did someone specifically mention that?
http://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Diagnostic-iPhone-Switch-Sleep/dp/B00PFFG1EO/
I believe it does Manu... Is it still using the ELM 327?  What issues have you been seeing? Just wondering?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SHOdded

The OBDLink MX Wifi will act like it's connected, but won't really be.  The device says CONNECTED, but the application intensely disagrees.  I have tried specifying the IP address & port in the app, no go.  After a few months (not that I got to use it even 1 time successfully), it won't even let me reset the password/IP address from the browser-based admin page.

If you want a stress-related trip to the ER, buy this device, folks :D  (Fortunately, the Bluetooth version is a dream device.)  Maybe they have a Jekyll & Hyde psychosis at Scantool?

Yup, everything is still ELM327 based.

USMCSHO341

So i don't have any options for this other than trading my iPhone for a windows or other smart phone

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on September 01, 2015, 07:39:32 PM
The OBDLink MX Wifi will act like it's connected, but won't really be.  The device says CONNECTED, but the application intensely disagrees.  I have tried specifying the IP address & port in the app, no go.  After a few months (not that I got to use it even 1 time successfully), it won't even let me reset the password/IP address from the browser-based admin page.

If you want a stress-related trip to the ER, buy this device, folks :D  (Fortunately, the Bluetooth version is a dream device.)  Maybe they have a Jekyll & Hyde psychosis at Scantool?

Yup, everything is still ELM327 based.
Hmmm... The only issue I had read in online reviews consistently was failing to wake from sleep correctly which was not everyone iOS... Good info... If bought for the power, be sure you can return it I guess. Thanks for the info Manu.

Of course, if you just want to read codes I guess a MyCal or an SCT tuner will do that anyway and an Aeroforce can do limited logging and trending.

SHOdded

Quote from: USMCSHO341 on September 01, 2015, 08:04:12 PM
So i don't have any options for this other than trading my iPhone for a windows or other smart phone
Get the iCar WiFi device, as per my post above.

Livernois Motorsports

As others have mentioned , the 93 tune will perform better as it sees higher octane to a certain extent.  So it definitely would never hurt to run something higher than 93 octane to allow the tune to advance timing and add performance to the best of it's abilities.  Some areas have 93 that is not the greatest quality which will cause the tune to retard timing as it sees knock.  The higher octane should ensure the tune does not retard timing and allow it to perform at it's highest levels possible.

14SHOCAR

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on September 02, 2015, 12:27:36 PM
As others have mentioned , the 93 tune will perform better as it sees higher octane to a certain extent.  So it definitely would never hurt to run something higher than 93 octane to allow the tune to advance timing and add performance to the best of it's abilities.  Some areas have 93 that is not the greatest quality which will cause the tune to retard timing as it sees knock.  The higher octane should ensure the tune does not retard timing and allow it to perform at it's highest levels possible.

Awesome thanks for the response LMS! I have been experimenting with the 1 gal E85 / 15 gal 93 mixture the last few fill ups. I'll have more concrete results in the next few weeks. I saw some surprising things since I added the e85... To be continued....
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on September 14, 2015, 01:49:47 PM
Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on September 02, 2015, 12:27:36 PM

Awesome thanks for the response LMS! I have been experimenting with the 1 gal E85 / 15 gal 93 mixture the last few fill ups. I'll have more concrete results in the next few weeks. I saw some surprising things since I added the e85... To be continued....

No problem, glad to help as always!

I know there are a few guys I have spoke with that do add a small amount of e85 with a tank of 93 and seem to do well at the track when they go.  This is not something that we recommend to customers or have done with our vehicles so let us know how it works out for you. 

14SHOCAR

So I will have a video on this (someday) but preliminary results are that the car is SLIGHTLY more aggressive, however, I now have popping out the exhaust (which I think are the waste gates opening) again between 2nd and 3rd gear. Not. A. Fan.

I didn't have problems with a 1 gallon to 16 mixture. Once I went to 1.5 gallons to 15.5... it threw everything off.

I'd be interested in working with Livernois to see if this is why people are having problems with the winter blends with the 93 tune. It seems the more ethanol in the fuel, the more tune irregularities people will have.

Also, another factor that may attribute to these results, we are seasonably colder than usual. Weather has been 50-58, with relative low humidity (65-70%)... as opposed to when I started the test with 80-90 degrees and high humidity.

18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust