• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

rear end lowered

Started by 92BlackGT, August 29, 2015, 03:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackhawk

Interesting way to go.  Do people complain about scraping with H&Rs?   I'd like to adjust my ride height as well but I don't want to relive the days of driving my lowered mustang cobra.

92BlackGT

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on September 08, 2015, 09:16:26 AMHave you ever had their ice cream?

Apparently they started making that to get them through prohibition and it is fantastic, just found it at Sams club

Yuengling black and tan ice cream FTW!

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!? ice cream? i did not know that. unfortunately the closest I can get any Yuengling product is Memphis :(
'14 Taurus SHO - non PP, Unleashed E20 tune, 3 bar - 12.91 @ 106.5 mph
'93 Mustang Coupe - AFR 165's, FTI cam, ported Cobra intake - 13.05 @ 105.6 mph

92BlackGT

Quote from: Blackhawk on September 08, 2015, 10:58:22 AM
Interesting way to go.  Do people complain about scraping with H&Rs?   I'd like to adjust my ride height as well but I don't want to relive the days of driving my lowered mustang cobra.

i've read that the ride is noticeably stiffer than stock. It took the cutting route really as an experiment and to save some money. If it was a failed experiment I would have gotten some PP springs or H&R's but so far i'm liking just the rear drop

Vortech347

Quick question. Did you by chance measure the amount of coil cut off?
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

68_GT

I have the PP and want to do exactly this to my SHO. Seems like since the springs are linear they would get a tad softer by cutting some off since you're loosing spring material essentially weakening them ?? My PP springs are already pretty stiff.

Did you have to realign after this ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

Vortech347

Quote from: 68_GT on October 27, 2015, 08:30:32 AM
I have the PP and want to do exactly this to my SHO. Seems like since the springs are linear they would get a tad softer by cutting some off since you're loosing spring material essentially weakening them ?? My PP springs are already pretty stiff.

Did you have to realign after this ?

It actually makes them stiffer.  Less metal to bend/flex.  Technically yes, you should.  I plan to do one after I trim mine down just a little bit too. 
Matt H.
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

beez74

I have H&Rs on my car now and have the funny stance as well and was thinking of cutting of more coil to even out the back as well...my question is without taking them off and looking myself, isn't there a groove the spring sits in and if you cut more coil but not a complete coil it will not sit in those grooves ??? I could be wrong but to lazy to pull them off to look

92BlackGT

the top of the spring is squared, or flattened, so the spring can be spun in any direction and still sit correctly. the bottom of the spring is the side you cut so you'd turn the spring until it sits in the bottom groove correctly.

JDW1

Was a spring press needed for the rear?  Also, how are the headlights adjusted exactly?  I would really like to do this, the a$$ up look is killing me. 

Edit*  Headlamp adjustment is in the owners manual.  Springs don't appear to need compressed either. 
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

92BlackGT

correct, no spring compressor required. it's super easy

68_GT

I cut 1/3 of a coil off my rear spring just like he did except with a cut off wheel (the springs didn't get hot at all). My PP springs didn't lower it as much though with only 1/3 coil removed. I might cut off a little more. Possibly 1/2 of a coil to begin with cut off would even the tire / wheel well gaps on a PP.

we'll see. Couldn't tell any other difference with the car other than a little lower rear ride height.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

beez74

i did the same thing and cut a little less then 1/2 a coil off my H&Rs now it sits level...you wont notice a difference in ride quality u cut the "dead" coil side ( the side thats already crushed flat and compressed with the car on the ground so its basically not changing the travel of the usable portion of the spring...the fronts  a different story, it uses the whole spring it has no "dead" section

Vortech347

Quote from: 68_GT on February 04, 2016, 03:29:38 PM
I cut 1/3 of a coil off my rear spring just like he did except with a cut off wheel (the springs didn't get hot at all). My PP springs didn't lower it as much though with only 1/3 coil removed. I might cut off a little more. Possibly 1/2 of a coil to begin with cut off would even the tire / wheel well gaps on a PP.

we'll see. Couldn't tell any other difference with the car other than a little lower rear ride height.

Good to know.  My PP has the ass in the air like crazy.  I'll bet its 2" higher than the front.
Matt H.
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

JDW1

Finally did this today. I had to buy an angle grinder with a cutting blade but with that it was super easy.  I cut a hair over the 1/3 coil and the rear sits slightly lower but if fine with me. I don't see why everyone doesn't do this.
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Vortech347 on September 25, 2015, 03:37:20 AM
Quick question. Did you by chance measure the amount of coil cut off?
Anyone?