• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Pros and cons of punching out the 3rd cat?

Started by TopherSho, June 29, 2017, 02:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Has anyone removed JUST the 3rd cat exhaust impedance? 

What were the pro's / con's ?

Thanks in advance..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

lamrith

Quote from: TopherSho on June 29, 2017, 02:26:59 PM
Has anyone removed JUST the 3rd cat exhaust impedance? 

What were the pro's / con's ?

Thanks in advance..
I am guessing you mean the rear mufflers?  Far as I know the SHO only has a single pair of Cat's and are right at the turbos.   Then a muffler/resonator in the middle of car, then a pair of mufflers in the tail?  I replaced that last set with the Dynomax clamp on set and love the sound.  I also have PPE catted DP.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

polskifacet

IMHO dont touch the stock exhaust and buy a catback. Keep it in storage for when you sell the car. You will want the full exhaust eventually.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Gjkrisa

I always was curious what third cat delete were talking about I've been under the car and can't see anything else that would look like a cat other then the ones just behind the turbos

Why do people say they have deleted 3rd cat?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

polskifacet

Quote from: Gjkrisa on June 30, 2017, 10:37:37 AM
I always was curious what third cat delete were talking about I've been under the car and can't see anything else that would look like a cat other then the ones just behind the turbos

Why do people say they have deleted 3rd cat?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Its directly behind the flex pipes.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

derfdog15

There is a third cat which goes immeditly into the resonator after the townpipes come together. it is basically the merge. I left mine when I went to catless downpipes, and had a resonator delete and it didnt seem to be much of an issue.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

ZSHO

Here's the stock OEM resonator and 3rd Cat for reference. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Seems most everyone just replaces the full exhaust,  hmm .
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

lamrith

Quote from: ZSHO on June 30, 2017, 11:26:30 AM
Here's the stock OEM resonator and 3rd Cat for reference. Z

ohhh you mean the actual 3rd cat.    :doh:

Sorry I had in my mind "3rd set" so I was thinking the mufflers...  :bangin:
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

CCXVI

I removed the third cat and resonator before I did the cutouts.  It gave it a nice tone and I good cold start growl but no noise inside the cab.  I had an H pipe put in as well, since you lose all balancing if you don't.