• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil on plugs

Started by brewerp93, August 24, 2015, 07:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewerp93

Hey so I finally got around to changing my plugs I did do it early around 70000 miles instead of the 100000 that they say they could go I have heard that this is just a cheap way of keeping your car running well, although while I was changing it I noticed a little oil build up on one of the plugs. I went back and double checked all of the rest to make sure that there wasn't any building up on them and there wasn't. I am just curious if anyone else has come across this issue and how they fixed the problem. It is such a small amount of oil that it isn't causing any problems at the moment I checked the oil levels and it doesn't look like it has budged so I know that it isn't burning much but I would prefer for there to be none there lol

BiGMaC

Oil is on the electrode/ground strap or outside of the cylinder?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

brewerp93

It was on the threads of the spark plug itself I was in a pinch for time so I wasn't able to look down in there and it was on one of the back cylinders so I really didn't have a whole lot of room to work with and look at it

BiGMaC

Quote from: brewerp93 on August 24, 2015, 07:20:30 PM
It was on the threads of the spark plug itself I was in a pinch for time so I wasn't able to look down in there and it was on one of the back cylinders so I really didn't have a whole lot of room to work with and look at it
Was it the one nearest the driver.?.. These cars have a historyof valve cover gasket leaks and of oil leaks into the spark plug wells...,especially that one. I was regapping my plugs at about 6K miles and found over an inch of oil in the plug well after I removed the coil and put the socket on.  If the electrode looks good and is dry that would be my guess. Pretty easy fix.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

brewerp93

Lol thats exactly the one I looked it up and figured that it was going to be just a gasket fix but I just wanted to see if anyone else came across this and clearly you have. How much do I need to pull apart to get to the gasket? and do you know of any DIY videos or threads?

SHOdded

Most have had it fixed under warranty.  No DIY threads out there yet as a result :(  If you don't have warranty, you might want to look into an online subscription at Mitchell/Alldata/Motorcraft/Chilton etc. or get manuals on DVD from EBay.  Well worth the investment.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jmr061

If it was leaking into the well, you would have noticed as the well would have been full of oil before you even took the spark plug out.
Jason
16 Edge Sport

BiGMaC

Quote from: brewerp93 on August 24, 2015, 10:22:19 PM
Lol thats exactly the one I looked it up and figured that it was going to be just a gasket fix but I just wanted to see if anyone else came across this and clearly you have. How much do I need to pull apart to get to the gasket? and do you know of any DIY videos or threads?

Pretty much whatever you can see attached or in the way and at least disconnect enough of the hotpipes to move them out of the way... Also the valve cover gasket is a separate part from the spark plug well seal.
As far as the amount of oil... I guess that varies with the size of the leak and the tightness of the cool seal on the sp well... As I said, I had at least an inch... Those wells are about 4" deep.

ZSHO

It can be a pita to change the rear valve cover,first of all there not going to have it in stock so you might have to order it,then the valve cover does come with the gasket in place which is a good thing,then the hardest part is removing all the obsatacles out the way as BiGMaC mentioned like the COP,oil seperator,pcv,and hoses connected to it,intake charge pipe,purge valve solenoid and all hoses associated with it,then removing the valve cover and cleaning up all the silicone can be a pain,not to mention putting the exact amount of silicone when installing and not putting to much,then retorquing the bolts to oem specs and letting it cure,had mine performed under warranty a while back.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

brewerp93

Yeah well lucky for me I am still under warranty then lol that sounds like more hassle to do it myself and save a couple bucks than to just take it in...

SHOdded

Not having had a good experience with valve cover seals on the rear/firewall side bank on either the '95 SHO or the Edge, I would concur.  If you can let it be the mechanic's headache.  BUT do verify that all the wiring and hoses look correct IF you see a power drop or odd behavior after the car is returned to you.  Sometimes they too forget to connect back some things.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!