• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Missing shifts

Started by jtoddk98, August 07, 2015, 04:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoddk98

Every so often, when I floor it, the car will jump down to first like normal, but then when it goes for second, it's like it misses the shift, the rpms drop when the car hits redline, and then it successfully grabs the gear. This is with the car in normal drive mode. Don't think it's a traction issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

SHOdded

A PCM calibration MIGHT be needed per TSB 10-20-8.  A tune would probably improve the shifting as well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jtoddk98

Considering trading the car for a new Fusion Energi. I just don't know if I can say goodbye. I'll end up missing all of its rattles and dealer visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

LongNap

I have the same issue, happens a lot if I'm turning from a stop and flooring it... Try Turning your traction control off. That resolved my problem as I believe the car was spinning enough in 2nd that it kicks in and at WOT, it just locks the gear out. I found if you lift real quick, it will continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 SHO Ruby Red PP, LMS 93 V8, 170 TStat, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake

BiGMaC

Quote from: LongNap on August 22, 2015, 11:29:00 PM
I have the same issue, happens a lot if I'm turning from a stop and flooring it... Try Turning your traction control off. That resolved my problem as I believe the car was spinning enough in 2nd that it kicks in and at WOT, it just locks the gear out. I found if you lift real quick, it will continue
Mine did that once... Never again though. Also lost power without engine dying. No Codes were set and I had the dealer check it out.  General consensus was that the car interpreted it as a near rollover and protected itself.

jtodd... Agree with Manu based on other users problems. I don't use sport mode as it only prevents shifting into 6th gear.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Livernois Motorsports

The car strongly dislikes being commanded to go WOT if the steering angle sensor is not pretty close to center / straight.  So I definitely could see the car acting up if you tried to put it to the floor and had the wheel turned.  Traction control will also cause for some goofy WOT situations.  I have watched videos from customer's trying to duplicate the issue they had (traction control) at wot which they thought it was hitting a rev limiter at top of 1st gear.  Tach would bounce at the top of first, free rev like couldn't find 2nd gear for a moment, and then come back to life while shifting quickly from 2-3.  This 1-2 no shift condition is common when going WOT with the wheel turned and / or traction control being on and even happens on stock vehicles.

CroR1

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on August 24, 2015, 10:01:27 AM
The car strongly dislikes being commanded to go WOT if the steering angle sensor is not pretty close to center / straight.  So I definitely could see the car acting up if you tried to put it to the floor and had the wheel turned.  Traction control will also cause for some goofy WOT situations.  I have watched videos from customer's trying to duplicate the issue they had (traction control) at wot which they thought it was hitting a rev limiter at top of 1st gear.  Tach would bounce at the top of first, free rev like couldn't find 2nd gear for a moment, and then come back to life while shifting quickly from 2-3.  This 1-2 no shift condition is common when gtoing WOT with the wheel turned and / or traction control being on and even happens on stock vehicles.

Can you modify this through tuning? You say, even stock vehicles will do this as if tuned cars are more prone to doing this.

FoMoCoSHO

I've only had this issue once on the 13 when it was tuned, once the tune was tweaked it never happened again.

I about had to change my shorts!

Who builds a car that cant do wot with the steering wheel turned?

SHOdded

I don't know, I think it's a pretty smart feature that Ford put in.  It might be a mite too touchy settingswise, but it's nice to have so you don't veer off somewhere/lose control unexpectedly.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: cror1 on August 24, 2015, 10:08:26 AM
Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on August 24, 2015, 10:01:27 AM
The car strongly dislikes being commanded to go WOT if the steering angle sensor is not pretty close to center / straight.  So I definitely could see the car acting up if you tried to put it to the floor and had the wheel turned.  Traction control will also cause for some goofy WOT situations.  I have watched videos from customer's trying to duplicate the issue they had (traction control) at wot which they thought it was hitting a rev limiter at top of 1st gear.  Tach would bounce at the top of first, free rev like couldn't find 2nd gear for a moment, and then come back to life while shifting quickly from 2-3.  This 1-2 no shift condition is common when gtoing WOT with the wheel turned and / or traction control being on and even happens on stock vehicles.

Can you modify this through tuning? You say, even stock vehicles will do this as if tuned cars are more prone to doing this.

We do have many changes that we incorporate into our custom tunes that help eliminate the known 1-2 no shift condition these cars can experience on occasion.  You will always need to turn the traction control off when planning on doing some aggressive driving to ensure the best performance possible.  I was saying that even stock cars can act up occasionally at WOT with traction control on even though they do not make that raw power like they will with our tune. 

CroR1

That's good to know guys.