• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Has anyone upgraded their trans cooler?

Started by Gray Brick, August 11, 2015, 01:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Brick

I don't really like seeing my transmission temperature at 205 degrees on long trips.

Has anyone upgraded the stock cooler?

What did you use?
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

SHOdded

Haven't seen anyone do it on a Flex before.  And not on 2013+ vehicles.  But here are the HOW TO's we have to use te 2013+ SHO PP equipment:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2008.0.html
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,522.0.html

Have you changed out the trans fluid at all since you bought the Flex?  You can try upgrading the fluid to a better spec'd aftermarket brand.  Shorter change intervals like 30,000 miles also would help significantly.  If I am not mistaken, there is still a thermostatic device that controls when the trans fluid goes into the cooler.  Maybe there is a lower temp aftermarket replacement?  Do you have a colder TStat installed?  With the tune, that should help cooling AND transmission systems.

And the old standby:  are you sure the fins on the radiator/condenser are as clean as can be?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: Gray Brick on August 11, 2015, 01:04:56 AM
I don't really like seeing my transmission temperature at 205 degrees on long trips.

Has anyone upgraded the stock cooler?

What did you use?

Why don't u like to see it at 205?...Just like oil the fluid doesn't even offer full protection until warmed up to operating temps...too cold is just as bad too hot.

There are a lot of old reliable transmissions out there that operated at 300...remember the dip sticks saying trans fluid can be 350?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Operating temp for these temps is between 175F & 200F IIRC from the owner's manual.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOdded on August 11, 2015, 08:40:01 AM
Operating temp for these temps is between 175F & 200F IIRC from the owner's manual.

Do they spell it out that specifically in the manual?

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Correct fluid level
The transmission fluid should be checked at normal operating
temperature 180°F-200°F (82°C-93°C) on a level surface. The normal
operating temperature can be reached after approximately 20 miles
(30 km) of driving.

This is from the 2013 SHO manual for the 6F50/6F55 transmissions.  So yeah, I am inclined to go no higher than that spec.

AJP turbo

Ok...then 205 sounds right on target...we are conditioned to believe that cooler is better but I don't think people are aware of drawbacks of over cooled fluids....I don't really want to get into it but at 205 I would have 0 concerns

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Aiming for the middle of the N.O.T. range is a good idea, in this case 190F.  The life of transmission fluid does not decrease linearly with increasing temperature.  Hence the "normal" vs "severe" duty recommendations for maintenance intervals in the OM.

Gray Brick

I replaced the trans fluid a few thousand miles ago with Motorcraft LV.

The temps remained the same.

I would like to see 190 on a normal basis.

Thermostat was changed to a 180 6 months ago.

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

AJP turbo

You should call ford and tell them how stupid they are. I'm sure u can tell them the countless amount experiments and results u have found proving why 205 is so detrimental and the magic number of 190 that u have come up with is the much better idea lol

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

205 is frigid compared to the temps I saw with repeated 1/4 runs on the 2013.

jtoddk98

My 2011 SHO runs 180 all day long. New ford fluid and Lubeguard auto transmission fluid protectant. Great stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

AJP turbo

Well now you guys have just pissed me off....I don't even know what my tranny temp is and now I'm curious so thanks for making me have to go out and log something else.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on August 11, 2015, 10:45:53 PM
Well now you guys have just pissed me off....I don't even know what my tranny temp is and now I'm curious so thanks for making me have to go out and log something else.
Now see, if you ran torque or dash command like I've suggested, you could just make a new gauge in about 1/2 second and have it handled.

I can tell you that PP with amsoil runs much cooler than non pp without.

Maybe I'll get some motivation one of these days and see how hot she gets at the track...

FoMoCoSHO