• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

ACES IV - An effective octane booster and anti-wear additive?

Started by SHOdded, August 05, 2015, 04:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glock-coma

This place is basically in my back yard. I'll have to go check it out.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

FoMoCoSHO

SHOdded

Great find, FoMoCoSHO, has a lot of the info we are always looking for :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Dxlnt1

Spoke with the owner of BND today, Brian. Very informative, enlightening perspective. He gave some basic examples and theories of how other additives miss the mark so to speak.

I think if we could have either LMS or Unleashed test with their tunes to verify IF and HOW aggressive a tune could be had by using the additive. And/or just enjoy the cost savings of using 87 octane fuel that burns as well as if not better than 93 octane fuel. That's at least >20 cents per gallon here in the golden state.

I invited him to join and to come onto this and the other forum and that there was an audience here looking into his products. I will be speaking with him again in the coming days while I decide if I will be the guinea pig. But as I recall, he spoke on a ecoboost engine using his products. Don't recall which car but he said a 2.7L and 3.5L motors.

He pointed me to Audi RS6 forum. (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/100-octane-2806628/) and this is quote from a member there......

"A number of us from the rs6.com board have been using ACES IV from BND Automotive in our chipped RS6s. WIth 91 or 92 octane pump gas, and ACES IV added, the 100 octane APR tune runs fine, without any knock, but with one heck of a kick. I thought the stuff was snake oil when I first heard of it, but many on the board run it routinely. I've gone through about a gallon and a half of it (add 1 ounce to each 6 gallons of gas) and run the 100 octane tune full time. I'm in California where pump premium is about $4.25 and 100 octane close to $7/gallon. We recently added an APR tuned 2009 A4 to the family stable, running it full time with ACES IV as well. With pretty extensive searching I've found no downside to it, and search the RS6,com board if you want to dig into more comments. Brian at BND will give you the scoop. And no, I have NO financial interest whatsoever in it; just like to see others enjoy their Audi as much as I! "

But each potential customer has to "qualify" by speaking with him first. Weed out those looking to optimize performance vs those looking for something repair whats already broken and expect a wonder sauce to fix all things broken. NOT!

Suggest for meth heads, only run 100% due to corrosive nature of methanol. Has catalysts to insert into meth tank that will add lubricity components and anti corrosion properties.

Short discussion on his oil and coolants. I am a little gray on some of what he said, so that will be part of my follow up discussion. So don't ask me anything on that.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SHOdded

At least here, in Maryland, you don't get all the "primo" detergent stuff in 87 octane gasoline, you HAVE to buy 93 octane (premium).  The price difference is easily 45-50 cents per gallon.  So for those of us running 87, this product would definitely be worth looking at.

Any idea if the DI engines can get the valves cleaned up over time, or do you have to start with clean to stay clean?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Dxlnt1

Quote from: SHOdded on August 13, 2015, 06:22:08 AM
At least here, in Maryland, you don't get all the "primo" detergent stuff in 87 octane gasoline, you HAVE to buy 93 octane (premium).  The price difference is easily 45-50 cents per gallon.  So for those of us running 87, this product would definitely be worth looking at.

Any idea if the DI engines can get the valves cleaned up over time, or do you have to start with clean to stay clean?

The detergent affect was one of the things he advertises. Says for my car with 60k miles, maybe 3 tank fulls to clean everything out. Then be able to see the full potential power gains and efficiency from the additive.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

IHeartGroceries

You know, I'm not a chemist. But, I'd really like to see some serious data about the composition of this stuff.

I mean, there's a ton of additives out there to enhance octane, and by more reputable sources than just STP at AutoZone. I know this stuff isn't octane specific...but, the Audi forum is making claims that it's actively enhancing fuel octane by possibly 9 points, allowing them to run a 100 tune on 91 PON. That's simply unheard of. If such a possibility existed, refiners would be spending way fewer resources refining fuel to upper tier grades, and would just be squirting in some of this unicorn jizz into their fuels to meet octane standards. Kind of like they're doing now with ethanol. They're like, well if the government is going to mandate ethanol as an oxygenate, we're not going to give away octane by refining blendstocks to 93 and then just further enhancing with ethanol blending. Unless of course it is comprised with chemicals that aren't approved for use by the government or something.

If you search the web, even some of the most acclaimed boosters out there don't enhance better than a few points. Afterall, the quality of fuel, including octane, lies in its molecular structure. Additives are used predominantly for detergent qualities.

But, there appears to be data out there which supports the manufacturer's claims. So...not sure how to argue with that.

But, even unicorn jizz can't overcome the mechanical limitations which are inherent to GDI design, with regards to carbon deposits. However, I'm ignorant to what precautions ford has taken with their newer revisions/GDI technology, as it is possible to mitigate the issue with injector timing events and valve overlapping and such.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

SHOdded

Definitely worth asking Torrie about, and if one is brave enough, be a testbed to gather data on the product.

BiGMaC

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on August 13, 2015, 01:03:18 PM
You know, I'm not a chemist. But, I'd really like to see some serious data about the composition of this stuff.

I mean, there's a ton of additives out there to enhance octane, and by more reputable sources than just STP at AutoZone. I know this stuff isn't octane specific...but, the Audi forum is making claims that it's actively enhancing fuel octane by possibly 9 points, allowing them to run a 100 tune on 91 PON. That's simply unheard of. If such a possibility existed, refiners would be spending way fewer resources refining fuel to upper tier grades, and would just be squirting in some of this unicorn jizz into their fuels to meet octane standards. Kind of like they're doing now with ethanol. They're like, well if the government is going to mandate ethanol as an oxygenate, we're not going to give away octane by refining blendstocks to 93 and then just further enhancing with ethanol blending. Unless of course it is comprised with chemicals that aren't approved for use by the government or something.

If you search the web, even some of the most acclaimed boosters out there don't enhance better than a few points. Afterall, the quality of fuel, including octane, lies in its molecular structure. Additives are used predominantly for detergent qualities.

But, there appears to be data out there which supports the manufacturer's claims. So...not sure how to argue with that.

But, even unicorn jizz can't overcome the mechanical limitations which are inherent to GDI design, with regards to carbon deposits. However, I'm ignorant to what precautions ford has taken with their newer revisions/GDI technology, as it is possible to mitigate the issue with injector timing events and valve overlapping and such.

On the website BND does claim cleaning or at least reduced deposits on the intake valves of GDI... I'm sure it is proprietary if true, but I'd like to hear the chemistry also.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FoMoCoSHO

You wont get it, they have Federal Trade protection from Uncle Sam.

I've spent a ton of time researching this stuff and I believe it may be the real deal.

Apparently there about 10k people in the Charger forums using it.

I'm gonna order some and test it, oil and fuel cleaner.

Getting that kind of octane boost without having to take a fuel volume hit would be fantastic.

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 13, 2015, 02:55:52 PM

I've spent a ton of time researching this stuff and I believe it may be the real deal.

Getting that kind of octane boost without having to take a fuel volume hit would be fantastic.

I'll be very interested in your results... I'm hoping it is the real deal.  The cost would be negligible if it performs half of what the claims say and does no damage or affect turbo longevity.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FoMoCoSHO

I would highly suggest spending some time in his vendor section on the charger forums.

He has converted some skeptics for sure....

IHeartGroceries

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 13, 2015, 03:30:34 PM
I would highly suggest spending some time in his vendor section on the charger forums.

He has converted some skeptics for sure....
I'll check it out!

2013 SHO PP

Dxlnt1

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 13, 2015, 02:55:52 PM

If you the learned octane gauge in torque, maybe monitor that to see if car-puter notices a change. And if anyone close to Torrie or LMS, and/or can do datalogging would stupndous. (only big word I know).

I will probably order next week. My LOR in torque is non responsive. So I will only have the booty touch, taste, feel to "know" if its working. And my cars economy. I track mileage logs for every fill up so that will be easy.

Brian did say for the first few tanks you run expect to see "soot" out of tail pipes. This is normal and evidence of cleaning. He didnt say how much soot or smoke if any.