• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid change on 13+ PP

Started by 91hybrid, July 02, 2015, 10:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOme

It's short I would guess about 8 inches. It has the cap shown in my post above on it

SHOme

Sent from my Speak and Spell

2014 SHO, PP 3 bar, 160 T Stat, Livernois v10 Tune, UPR catch can. MDesign CAI

Macgyver

I was at my dealer getting the last of my things done that I found when I bought the car. They only charge $60 for the PTU fluid change. I had it changed again to flush most of the rest of the old 30K crap out. I already had them change it the other day. Prolly think I am crazy. Dont care.

TopherSho

I hate you. :)  My dealer wont even discuss it.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOme

Yeah don't even think I would blink an eye if I could get it done for $60.

SHOme

wraitherx

Quote from: SHOme on July 20, 2017, 07:47:21 AM

SHOme

You and me both however, I've never bothered to ask about having my PTU flushed and filled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOme on July 20, 2017, 07:47:21 AM

SHOme

I'd do it every 25k for 60$
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

ZSHO

FYI if you have a Performance Package its roughly a 3hr labor involved at your local friendly Ford dealer.
The Passenger DP needs to be removed in order to gain access.
I was charged 150.00 including my very own gear oil which 2-quarts was needed in order to have it flushed out twice.
I heard it ranges from 200.00-300.00 IIRC.  Z
I guess if you want to Play you have to Pay.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on July 20, 2017, 10:46:58 AM
FYI if you have a Performance Package its roughly a 3hr labor involved at your local friendly Ford dealer.
I was charged 150.00 including my very own gear oil which 2-quarts was needed in order to have it flushed out twice.

Just pisses me off,  my Ford rep actually told me they will wait for failure and will not service the unit prior.   even if it were 400$ i would do it 1x a year at minimum because of the extra abuse we all do. 

Yet other dealers seem to cave and drain and fill without batting a eye-lash ...

SHOme

Quote from: ZSHO on July 20, 2017, 10:46:58 AM
I disagree that the DP needs removed.  It just makes it less of a PITA.

SHOme

avidmotion

Could one elongate the vent tube, drain ptu fluid by the plug, then refill through the vent tube using a Tumi 100cc syringe with O2 tubing into the vent tube? Instead of mechanic doing change I might attempt with a friend if this seems doable using ramps?
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

SHOdded

Has been done before on the Edge, so I would say completely possible on the SHO as well.  Do you not have the vent extension into the engine bay?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

avidmotion

I was changing my PTU fluid and read about others adding a hose to the vent tube and extending it up to near the brake booster, so they could use the drain plug on 2013+ and refill using the hose. I liked the idea, I could not reach the vent hose clamp so I took it to a place who extended the hose for me and changed the PTU lube with Amsoil severe duty 75-140 diff fluid. It used about half the bottle.Here are points to consider.
With the car running you can hear alot of noise coming from the tube, even with the vent cap on.
There is a smell associated with the vent, venting diff lube smell, more noticeable when running and hot.
I took off my rear hood seal, bad move if you do this extension, the smell gets sucked into the cowl when heat or AC is on.
Makes it a 20 min job to empty and refill the PTU.
Cheap and easy to do.
May bend hose further behind firewall until needed to refill(making sure hose not get bent or crimped when heat hits hose, secure it properly).
(repost from other post on subject)
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

6500rpm

Just curious as to how much you guys have been getting out of your drains, and for those refilling through the sensor hole, how much you were able to put back in until it weeped? Even with the drivers side on stands and the rt side on the ground I only ended up with 12oz on my 13 PP. Happy to see that at almost 60k miles the fluid was still thin and nothing more than powdered steel stuck to the drain plug. The service manual called out 18oz as the capacity and I don't have any leaks, it's hard to believe 6oz is still trapped.
Fwiw, I popped off the vent tube and did the cheater method through the vent with a piece of clear tubing for the refill then popped the original vent tube back on.

2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

SHOdded

Courtesy of a SHOforum member

Ford Taurus & Explorer Police Interceptor PTU (+ SHO w/PP) Fluid Change - The Easier Method
https://youtu.be/pQBjQAq3La8

Quotearvinmahida
Published on Jun 28, 2019
THIS METHOD ONLY APPLIES TO VEHICLES THAT HAVE AN OE DRAIN PLUG. Make sure your PTU vent tube is clean and venting before performing this method. Failure to verify this may create pressure inside the PTU while filling and will result in a messy situation with gear oil going everywhere!

Today I'll be showing you an easier method of changing the PTU (transfer case) fluid in this 2013 Ford Taurus Police Interceptor Sedan. This method also applies to the Explorer Police Interceptor Utility and Taurus SHO with performance package.

Please note this is preventative maintenance and may remedy a small humming sound, but chances are if you can hear grinding or any louder sounds from your PTU, it's probably in need of replacement. You should expect to get around 11-14 fluid ounces of gear oil out of your PTU. If your unit is leaking, you should estimate how much should go back into your unit.

Parts I used:

1/4in (M)NPT In-Line Check Valve
https://www.grainger.com/product/CDI-CONTROL-DEVICES-Brass-In-Line-Check-Valve-6D914

1/4" Brass Hose Barb with Straight Fitting Style
https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Brass-Hose-Barb-with-Straight-6AFH6

1/4in Brass (F)NPT 90° Union Elbow
https://www.grainger.com/product/PARKER-Brass-Extruded-Union-Elbow-13Y888

Good luck, I hope this video helps!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!