• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid change on 13+ PP

Started by 91hybrid, July 02, 2015, 10:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

So...the dealer called and they said they wanted $350 to do the PTU fluid change on my 2013 PP.  I may still have them do it at a later time (car is in for the door handle recall) but may just attempt this myself given the cost. 
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Larrylu

Quote from: ecoboostsho on September 09, 2015, 10:56:46 AM
So...the dealer called and they said they wanted $350 to do the PTU fluid change on my 2013 PP.  I may still have them do it at a later time (car is in for the door handle recall) but may just attempt this myself given the cost.
Its a pain in the butt to do ...... but not worth paying anyone$350 IMHO
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ecoboostsho

Agreed. I have to drop the downpipe and wrestle with the temp sensor but after that it should be easier since it has a drain!
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Vortech347

Good info!  I'm at almost 15k now.  So I'll be doing this soon.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

SHOnUup

Quote from: ecoboostsho on September 09, 2015, 11:28:30 AM
Agreed. I have to drop the downpipe and wrestle with the temp sensor but after that it should be easier since it has a drain!
With it having the drain...I bet you could get an exhaust shop to do it alot cheaper

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ZSHO

Quote from: BlackJac on September 03, 2015, 07:00:22 AM
Took my 15 XSport to the dealer yesterday to change the PTU fluid, and after about 45 minutes they come get me to tell me that they can't find the drain or fill. I told them where they were and they couldn't do it that late in the day and of course the cost was going to be more than the $89 they quoted me. So, looks like I'll be doing it myself. I only have about 13,000 miles on it, but don't want to wait until it's bad.

I had an idea and wonder what you guys think?

If I remove the drain plug and install an oil drain valve something on the lines of this valve with getting the correct size fitting or adapting one. http://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-108N-Engine-Drain-Valve/dp/B003VCB9WC

Then I would just drain the oil. Connect a fill hose to the valve, and pump clean oil back in, then close the valve, and remove the fill hose. Done.
I think that 89.00 sounds about right to have your RDU fluid changed,besides the inconvenience it sounds like you have a (tuner friendly)dealer and should be very fortunate,trust me your in good hands,sorry for the late reply.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

pejohnson

First off thank you 91hybrid for the instructions.  Without his write up, frankly I'd still be working on changing the fluid.  I wanted to post a few comments from my experience in changing the PTU on my 13 SHO PP.   I decided to change my fluid at 27,000 miles. 

In general there is very little room to work.   Getting to the PTU sensor (the fill opening) is extremely difficult.  I bought a similar wrench head that fits onto a ratchet extension however it must have been bigger because it was extremely difficult to get it to fit within the space given.  Make sure you have the similar tool 91hybrid shows initially, as I don't see any other options regarding access to the sensor.  I also had a difficult time removing the down pipe on the passenger side first.  I was in the process of replacing the OEM down pipes and found if I removed the driver side down pipe first, then the driver side down pipes.  Make sure to disconnect the PTU sensors and down pipe sensors before removal. 

As mentioned I changed the PTU fluid at 27,000 miles.  Upon draining, the fluid looked more like oil and less like gear oil.  No clumps or slug!  All great news in my mind.  I drained a total of approximately 14oz to 15oz.  While I don't think I needed to change the PTU fluid this early, I do have a piece of mind now that the fluid has been changed and is new.  Again these are just my observations based on my car.

13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

SHOdded

Great pics & observations!  Very cool that the oil was "behaving" itself :thumb:  Hopefully the cooled design is working as advertised!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

I think it looks like a change was absolutely necessary
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

AAAAHHH,nothing better than having reassurance and a peace of mind to go with it,Great stuff and just in time for track season,enjoy.  Z   :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOme

I have  a question for those who have done the PTU fluid change on the 13 and up PP.  What does the other end of the temp sensor wire look like?  Could it be threaded thru a 15mm deep well socket and then the socket turned with Channellocks?  Would there be room for a socket?   Just asking because I am getting ready to do it.
2014 SHO, PP 3 bar, 160 T Stat, Livernois v10 Tune, UPR catch can. MDesign CAI

ZSHO

I did mine at roughly 30k on her and here's the pic of the sensor and FYI the sensor did have some sludge build up,hope this helps any.  Z     

pejohnson

I don't think you'll have room to get the channel locks on. I'd buy the wrench in the first picture on this thread. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

SHOme

Z how long did it take you?  did you use a lift?
2014 SHO, PP 3 bar, 160 T Stat, Livernois v10 Tune, UPR catch can. MDesign CAI

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOme on May 06, 2016, 01:37:37 PM
Z how long did it take you?  did you use a lift?
I have an extended warranty & great relations with my Dealer so essentially was quoted roughly around 300.00 for the PTU Flush and as a courtesy they performed the procedure for 150.00 using my own fluid and they flushed it out twice and two quarts are needed,definitely would recommend Amsoil,Redline 75w-140 gear oil,BTW maybe you can negotiate some kind of deal since you just purchased your car from them and also think they stated 3.0 hrs for the job. How many miles on your SHO?  Z