• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" Replacing Blend Door Actuator Instructions

Started by EcoPowerParts, June 30, 2013, 07:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

Originally posted by TSS

]There are other threads discussing this, but I thought a dedicated thread with instructions might help others. I have received so much help here that it is payback time, finally, with me posting info that may help others (versus the other way around). :)

I did this last night in my MKS, and I have a 3 out of 10 skill level. The whole procedure took me about 15 minutes thanks to tips from others on this forum (particularly Jack Skellington and crash712us ).

The symptoms: Clicking/tapping noise coming from the dash area near the passenger side when the car is on and the climate control system is on.

The Part: Door blend actuator (part number: AA5Z-19E616-C) . I got mine on ebay for $19.00 shipped. It is a genuine Motocraft part. Here is the link to the part and a photo I took of the part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY-OEM-BLEND-DOOR-ACTUATOR-AA5Z-19E616-C-/280886764325?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

Directions:

Fully release your glove box door so it "hangs" down. There are two clips/bumper stops on the right and left side, towards the rear of the glove box interior that need to be removed to do this. It is the identical first step you take when changing the in-cabin air filter. Once the door drops, you will see this:

You will clearly see the white part. There are 2 clearly visible hexagon head screws holding it in. Remove them. Then, undo the electrical clip fastener. The part will now be free from the car.

Connect the electrical connector to the new part and try to insert the white gear shaft (attached to the rear of the actuator part) into the opening in the car to re-secure the part, using the 2 hex head screws, to the car.

In my case, the gear shaft was not properly lined up. You will note from the photo below, there is a small flat area on the gear shaft - it is not perfectly symmetrical, so it can only go in one way. If it does not line up, start the car and fiddle with the temperature control (hot/cold) , as that will turn the gear shaft clockwise and counter clockwise. Play with it until it is in the right position to insert with the 2 hex head screws lining up. This is very easy, but takes a minute or two to fiddle with to line it up. See non-symmetrical gear shaft below - the "flat" area is facing you.

Once it is lines up, inserted, and the screws are back in, simply put the glove box back into position and re-insert the two rubber bumpers/stoppers. And, you are DONE!!! $19.00 and 15 minutes or less with nothing more than a hex head driver saves you a trip to the dealer.

P.S. If you have not changed yourecabin air filter in a while, You might want to do that before re-securing the glovebox, since the filter door is completely accessible.

The Culprit:

I opened up the broken actuator and the photo is below. You can see some inner gears are work down and broken in the center of the photograph.

Hope all of this helps a fellow member! :)

TODD
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

TSS

Thanks for copying this over for me Mike!  Hope folks find it useful.

Todd
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

EcoBrick Bob

Mine has been doing this for about 3 months, but so far I still have A/C.  Will get the part and fix!

Used your link and ordered part.  Comes from Tasca - free shipping.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

TSS

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on June 30, 2013, 10:16:04 PM
Mine has been doing this for about 3 months, but so far I still have A/C.  Will get the part and fix!

Used your link and ordered part.  Comes from Tasca - free shipping.

Yeah, I never had any failure (like A/C not working), just the annoying clicking/knocking.  If you have any questions when installing it, shoot me a PM!

Todd
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

EcoBrick Bob

Hopefully it won't be as hard as when I had the dash apart and screen out.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

TSS

If I can do it, you can do it......   I don't change my own oil.......

mjhpadi

You know, I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the blend door on the driver's side...I take it that one may be harder to access and change?
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

EcoBrick Bob

For that one... you have to pull the engine!!  LOL

So... It's a piece of cake!

Night Hawk

I found in changing three of the four, that the passenger side (note to the left of the easily accessible white one) is by far the worse one to access. You can see the lower fastener bolt head in the photo.  I took a few breaks during the install as to not damage other parts of the car or myself lol.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

EcoBrick Bob

I got the Blend Door Actuator from Tasca this AM.  Grabbed a bunch of tools an proceeded to vehicle.  Dropped Glove Box Door by pushing in on both sides. Presto!!! everything fell on the floor, just like I planned.  Then I turned on Flex and got the blend door actuator to click, and could feel that it was slipping.  Next... I realized I had all the wrong tools to remove it.... BUT I did have my trusty little socket set on the floor that had been in the glove box, that I used to remove MCT sensor and most other under hood parts.  Grabbed the correct socket the first time and had it out in about 10 seconds. Popped in the new one and attached it with 2 bolts/screws I removed.  Plugged it in and replaced glove box and everything in it.  That actually took more time than replacing the blend door.  Once repaired, I proceeded to test it!!!  I always do it this way, so I have a 50% chance of having to re-do what I did!!!! But disappointingly, it worked, so I was almost done.  Went back inside and put away all the tools I didn't need (had all tools already in Flex!) and then proceeded to take the old actuator apart.  The same big gear as shown in pix above was missing 1 tooth.

If I were doing this again, I could do it in my sleep in about 2 minutes or less! Very easy and no access issues!

SHOdded

YH1779 (AA5Z-19E616-C) is the glove box one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280886764325

I believe the OEM part number for YH1769 is AA5Z-19E616-A.  Pics courtesy of Tasca here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281476136193
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

RL-2005

anyone know what to call this gear that slows down the glovebox door when you open it?  I'm looking for a part number or assembly.

ZSHO

They usually update parts sometimes,but check the reference here related to the glove box and the check arm,hope this helps and good luck.  http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2013/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/glove-box-scat

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Bosscav

My HVAC system "Clicks" once, loudly, every time the system is turned on and then again when it is turned off. Sounds like the recirculation actuator motor. Is there a fix for that too?
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, White Platinum Tri-coat Metallic, 402B options package, 20" Nickel Aluminum wheels, purchased 6/26/2014 with only 17k miles. Previous owner: Little old woman who bought it for the heated leather seats...

ZSHO

Quote from: Bosscav on February 26, 2015, 04:48:39 PM
My HVAC system "Clicks" once, loudly, every time the system is turned on and then again when it is turned off. Sounds like the recirculation actuator motor. Is there a fix for that too?
It could also be your door blend actuator making the click sound when turning on and off,relativly a cheap and easy part to install,while you have the glove box open install a new cabin filter.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|