• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Windshield Hazing/Streaking

Started by geswek, June 30, 2013, 05:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geswek

Well; I think it's more than I thought.

I am going to a car show today and entering my ride; so I went to Franklin to get the car detailed--it's another shop in Frazer that is pretty decent. I went there couple weeks ago and told them to turn off their wax system in wash since I had "wax" on car. This time I forgot to tell them and my windshield is a living nightmare! It's 20x worse now.

I'm starting to think it is wax--or it's a bad windshield reacting horribly to wax.

I've used these types of carwashes for 10 years and I never had this problem with a windshield.

I get a new car, I have it hand detailed, and suddenly my windshield is total s***.

I don't think Ford is going to cover it--

SHOdded

Remind me - have you used acetone or other Goo Gone type solvents yet?  Assuming of course it's not the windshield itself.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

geswek

Quote from: SHOdded on August 03, 2013, 09:50:15 AM
Remind me - have you used acetone or other Goo Gone type solvents yet?  Assuming of course it's not the windshield itself.

The best I did; was some alcohol prep pads from hospital (I stole box from supply) and wiped it down.

I'm afraid to use anything else for fear it runs and screws my paint or black unpainted trim up.

I did take dawn dish soap from house and went to car wash; washed it heavily twice with scrub rags. Immediately washed the windshield off.

It got little better--now it's just full blow in your face horrible since leaving Franklin.

SHOdded

Try some Goo Gone/acetone on a gauze pad or a rag to spot test.  Don't use a lot, and don't use sprays.  Wipe off afterwards with water and a clean cloth.  Shouldn't have runs ruining anything doing it this way.  Of course, if you want to go the extra mile, tape off the windshield and lay some wads of newspaper down, just like if you were plastidipping.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

geswek

In really thinking about seeing mph.

He's not far from me and the detail guru LOL.

Sent from a mobile, I think.

DJE624

I would try the goo gone first.  It shouldn't hurt the paint or plastic.  Acetone would definitely wreak havoc with plastic. 

geswek

OK; I'll pick up some GooGone today on my way home from Wal-mart.

Should I apply it with a microfiber cloth? Those things are SUPER cheap and I can buy a bunch.

Is it OK if Goo Gone hits rubber seals or plastic? Not intentionally, but just if it happens.

SHOdded

GooGone should be ok on rubber/plastic.  Microfiber cloths should be fine, though cheap ones may lint like cotton cloths.  Basic directions from their site http://googone.com/GG-Browse-Products/Goo-Gone-8oz

DJE624

Goo gone is great.  But it will leave an oily residue.  You'l have to finish up with soap and water.

mjhpadi

One word...Comet....damp windshield, Comet, damp cloth, scrub...hose off.  Actually, it's more like 9 words.  Try a small area first and see how it comes out.  Good luck, hope the Acetone works....never used Goo Gone, so I can't give you any input on it.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

geswek

Gah.

Oil residue.

Just what I want to deal with.

Sent from a mobile, I think.

EcoPowerParts

Two words:
Insurance claim
I am guessing you can find a chip in your windshield, call it in!
I'm also guessing you have comprehensive with 0 deductible for glass.
You're wasting so much time on this it's not funny. The insurance company won't bat an eye, as I told you previously we replace our windshields every 6 months here due to the sand pitting. Luckily I just say visibility is diminished and they replace the windshield. No questions asked.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

geswek

Now it's working LMAO -- my buddy laughed at me and said it was probably because I just came out of detail shop and it started pouring (was trying to beat rain).

We tested it at car show and it wasn't streaking but a tiny bit.

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on August 03, 2013, 11:30:50 AM
Two words:
Insurance claim
I am guessing you can find a chip in your windshield, call it in!
I'm also guessing you have comprehensive with 0 deductible for glass.
You're wasting so much time on this it's not funny. The insurance company won't bat an eye, as I told you previously we replace our windshields every 6 months here due to the sand pitting. Luckily I just say visibility is diminished and they replace the windshield. No questions asked.

Glass coverage is $500 deductible for me.

Windshield is only $220 or $270 from Fred Beans.

geswek

After a long battle; I won. Ford is replacing my windshield. So, if you have any weird s*** happen to your windshield when using the wipers (like the window is fogging from the outside), I have paved the way for you.

The car got dropped today for new glass; I'm totally happy now--just one thing on the many others that are wrong with 2013. I am now after them for the tail lights since the 15 cars I've looked at ALL have the same problem with driver side tail light not lining up.

DJE624