• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Power Stop Big Brake Kit - Not for Track USE or for HEAVY Foot (ME)

Started by irondoor19, June 17, 2015, 02:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHeartGroceries

Quote from: 66 Galaxie on June 19, 2015, 09:20:41 AM
Sounds like you had fun except for the burned up pads and most likely boiled brake fluid in your calipers contributing to your pedal to the floor experience.

This was my initial thought. But, Motul 600 is good stuff. 600 degree boiling point!

Wowzers, such a gargantuan car really is a burden on brake systems, when stretched to the limits.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

66 Galaxie

Mogul 600 is good stuff but IIRC it does age on the quicker side.. How old was it?
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

r1crusher

I have done track days on my race bike at Mid-O and stabbing the binders off that long back straight from 150mph+ on a race bike can be hairy.  But doing it in a SHO...I'd need to change my panties and have my entire interior professionally cleaned if that happened to me.

Be grateful you only did a little grass mowing instead of some major landscaping.  :D  "China beach" as it's referred to at the bottom of the end on that straight can swallow up cars whole.  If you're ever been to Mid-O you know what I'm talkin' about, there's a hell of a drop off.
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

Darren M

I realize I'm a newb and my 2ยข holds very little credence, however, I'd tend to agree with Panther. Also, those pads are destructive, yes, but they are NO WHERE near as bad as I've seen after some very hot HPDE laps and lesser pads. "Worst I've ever seen"???? I'm a simple shade tree mechanic for friends and family (and friends of both) and I've seen pad BACKS worn near paper thin. Image below, just for reference, on some "bad" pad wear from a Lemons race. (Not mine)
Just a Taurus

brooklynecoboost730

I have an ecoboost explorer and  burned through all powerstop stop tech etc currently running ebc stage 9 and orange stuff pads stops very well i roasted 4 sets of front rotors in 50k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Orange Stuff will be going on my Edge next, glad to hear they perform!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

I've had good success with EBC slotted rotors on other cars.  I need to give them a try since I'm about done trying things with my Lincoln.

I'm running PP calipers and police spec rotors and pads now.  They still suck!  A handful of turns with the stability control working it's butt off and my brakes just fade away.  Running ATE brake fluid and being as gentle as I can, but the mountains just turn my brakes into mush.

I wouldn't even notice that the brakes are inadequate if I still lived in FL, but the mountains are like a race track except it's every day/all day.  Had about 10 vehicles since living here and this one has the most ability to outperform it's braking ability.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

donky4444

Quote from: sholxgt on October 13, 2017, 10:42:49 PM
I've had good success with EBC slotted rotors on other cars.  I need to give them a try since I'm about done trying things with my Lincoln.

I'm running PP calipers and police spec rotors and pads now.  They still suck!  A handful of turns with the stability control working it's butt off and my brakes just fade away.  Running ATE brake fluid and being as gentle as I can, but the mountains just turn my brakes into mush.

I wouldn't even notice that the brakes are inadequate if I still lived in FL, but the mountains are like a race track except it's every day/all day.  Had about 10 vehicles since living here and this one has the most ability to outperform it's braking ability.

Check out Carbotech pads. They have multiple compounds for different uses. Call them and talk about what you're doing to find the best compound.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

EcoPowerParts

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SHOdded

TCE/Wilwood woud be a great setup, not sure they have parts available anymore.  BUT worth talking w/ Todd regardless.  Also consulting with Carbotech.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

I had and loved Carbotech pads on another car, but I think my problem is heat.  My brakes work great until they don't.

Thinking about EBC slotted rotors maybe?  They make more noise, but thinking they may offer some help in the heat/pad glazing area.

Wilwood makes some great stuff, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on this car.  There's just too many things about this car that isn't quite right.  Mine is the typical Ford with 90% done right and 10% done way wrong.  Don't get me wrong, I like the car.  I just don't see my owning it past warranty.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SilvererSHO

Quote from: sholxgt on October 14, 2017, 10:14:15 AM
I had and loved Carbotech pads on another car, but I think my problem is heat.  My brakes work great until they don't.

Thinking about EBC slotted rotors maybe?  They make more noise, but thinking they may offer some help in the heat/pad glazing area.

Wilwood makes some great stuff, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on this car.  There's just too many things about this car that isn't quite right.  Mine is the typical Ford with 90% done right and 10% done way wrong.  Don't get me wrong, I like the car.  I just don't see my owning it past warranty.

QuoteMine is the typical Ford with 90% done right and 10% done way wrong.

Do tell....
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

Agentlongwood

There's just too many things about this car that isn't quite right.  Mine is the typical Ford with 90% done right and 10% done way wrong.  Don't get me wrong, I like the car.  I just don't see my owning it past warranty.

My biggest complaint is the seating position.  The pedals are WAAAYYY too close, even when adjusted back as far as they go.  If I move the seat to where my legs are comfy, then I can't reach the touch screen without leaning forward. If I move the seat up to where I hold the wheel properly, then my knees are hitting the steering column.  If the pedals had about 3-4 more inches of travel it would be perfect.

Other nit picks.  I can't see fuel economy and tachometer at the same time... Who does that?  Some body panels don't line up perfectly.  It's not crazy bad, but enough to notice.  OFFSET BABY SEAT HOOKS.  Why Ford, Why... Why does the baby seat, sit about 1/3 of the way into the middle rear seat, lol. 

Other than that, I really love the car.  It's big, it's comfy, it's got TONS of great features, and it's easy to make it fast.  So I think you're about 100% correct.  The car is 90% great and 10% "wtf were you thinking, Ford?"
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

timbo

Stop messing with the 2010-2012 brakes.  Switch to the 2013+ brake setup or go with the Wilwoods from TCE.  Spending over $600 on a brake setup designed for a car that is 1000lbs lighter is a waste.  Look at every other vehicle in the same weight and relative performance category and none of them run under a 14" rotor.  We get close with the 13.8" and 13.5" in the updated models.  Bolts right on with the exception of the master cylinder needs the forward line bent a little.

Getting 10 hot laps (I assume they were fast) at a very fast track with an undersized street braking system is actually pretty good.  There's many guys with the OEM Brembo braked GM and Mopar cars that barely get that.

If there was not an affordable and easy option, I would say go for the EBCs or whatever rotors/pads people are recommending.  With the larger rotors and calipers (pads are larger too) of the redesign in 2013, there is no reason to stay with the earlier stuff unless you are satisfied with the braking.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

SilvererSHO

Quote from: Agentlongwood on December 14, 2017, 10:15:28 AM
There's just too many things about this car that isn't quite right.  Mine is the typical Ford with 90% done right and 10% done way wrong.  Don't get me wrong, I like the car.  I just don't see my owning it past warranty.

My biggest complaint is the seating position.  The pedals are WAAAYYY too close, even when adjusted back as far as they go.  If I move the seat to where my legs are comfy, then I can't reach the touch screen without leaning forward. If I move the seat up to where I hold the wheel properly, then my knees are hitting the steering column.  If the pedals had about 3-4 more inches of travel it would be perfect.

Other nit picks.  I can't see fuel economy and tachometer at the same time... Who does that?  Some body panels don't line up perfectly.  It's not crazy bad, but enough to notice.  OFFSET BABY SEAT HOOKS.  Why Ford, Why... Why does the baby seat, sit about 1/3 of the way into the middle rear seat, lol. 

Other than that, I really love the car.  It's big, it's comfy, it's got TONS of great features, and it's easy to make it fast.  So I think you're about 100% correct.  The car is 90% great and 10% "wtf were you thinking, Ford?"

I typically have the rear of my seat cranked all the way forward to a very upright seating position in all my vehicles so it's not as much of an issue for me but yeah, I agree they could be pushed forward a bit more along with the left foot rest that's too far back.  I had a guy that I used to work with that built street rods comment on how well VW did with the seams and gaps between their body panels on my 2012 Jetta TDI.  Now I try to take notice of that on different cars myself.  After he told me that I noticed how terrible they were on my wifes old 2012 Traverse.  And as soon as me and the wife got Tauruses I noticed they're even worse yet.  Terrible job on that IMO.  The wife has a 2014 and I bought an older model on purpose because I like the interior much better than the 2013+ vehicles.  I hear you on that.  I don't care for the trunk button in the middle of the dash.  And there shouldn't even be one anyways.  I really like the way the German cars are where anytime your doors are unlocked you can walk up to the vehicle and open the trunk.  My old '82 Mercedes is the same way.  When the doors lock, the trunk locks too.  Why do it any other way?  I really miss that feature.  I'm also not one bit impressed with my top of the line stereo system offered by Ford either.  Sound quality is not very good at all.  I wish you could tap the cruise control buttons to speed up or slow down in 1 MPH increments.  I miss that feature that was also on my wifes Traverse.  Can't say I've ever had an easier vehicle to do oil changes on....
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.