• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Power Stop Big Brake Kit - Not for Track USE or for HEAVY Foot (ME)

Started by irondoor19, June 17, 2015, 02:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irondoor19

OK:
So i purchased a Power Stop Brake kit, and after about 4000 Miles and 1 Track Day

Here are the Results:  I wasted the Front Rotors and Pads after 10 Laps (at Mid Ohio)

Ran off the BIG back strait at about 70 MPH after 120 Plus, Because the petal went to the Floor

Did a bit of lawn mowing, and the car came out OK, Needless to say, I needed a change in underware

So the instructor laffed it off, PUT me in his race prepped 944, told me i did not need any brakes and

LATER i did 20 more laps, till i almost collected a few more cars in the rear at the same strait,  I WAS DONE

After the 80-100 MPH Flog home and a couple more miles, I heard the dreaded Grinding, Here is what was Left:

My mechanic and his Mech Buddies Say:

"Worst they have ever seen"

Notice the Even Rotor Discoloration

Any One Need a Test Driver to destroy Anything or Everything.....?

Jim T

2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

SHOdded

I would agree.  At best for some serious street use, maybe 1/4 runs.  Definitely not for the track.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

irondoor19

Yea:

I did not do any research, Just got it done, and the result was i almost waded
it up.... Looking at the EBC Stage 4 as the next upgrade, that will hold me till 2016

Jim

jtoddk98

Quote from: irondoor19 on June 17, 2015, 02:27:47 PM
Yea:

I did not do any research, Just got it done, and the result was i almost waded
it up.... Looking at the EBC Stage 4 as the next upgrade, that will hold me till 2016

Jim
I have the Stage 4 EBC brakes. They get even better when hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

14SHOCAR

Holy crap!! I was totally going to do PowerStop + z17 brakes... I'm thinking twice now....
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

peppelepugh

O.o

WOW

I've got the stage 4 kit, so far no issues. But i haven't taken her to a track yet....
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

nickstewartroc

I don't track my car, though I would love to... But I am loving the Powerstop Kit for street driving. Night and day compared to the OEM!
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

Larrylu

I put on a set of Powerstop Z23 Evolution Sport carbon fiber-ceramic pads with drilled and slotted rotors a few months ago.  Generally easy street driving. I've been happy with performance but am now noticing a little more brake noise (more like a whirring) than stock. My thought was it might be the slots and holes but I guess if it doesn't get worse I'd say the trade off of slight noise for extra stopping power was worth it.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

bamsho

Remember we are trying to stop a 4200-4400lb pig.  I just changed my stock pads and rotors and was surprised how fried they were, and I only did 1/4 mile runs.  Mike (BPD) spent the money and did a Wilwood brake upgrade.  I think that is the actual and only way to go it you want to road course these cars.  I'm pretty sure he has 15 in rotors upfront now with 6 piston calipers adn '13+ brake booster and master cylinder retro fit.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

irondoor19

"EBC Stage 4 Kit on the way for the front",
Will NOT Do any track days, until we test @ 1/4 Mile
yikes that was close, Yes it is a Big Fat Pig

bpd1151

Quote from: bamsho on June 18, 2015, 02:28:56 AMMike (BPD) spent the money and did a Wilwood brake upgrade.  I think that is the actual and only way to go it you want to road course these cars.  I'm pretty sure he has 15in. rotors upfront now, with 6 piston calipers and '13+ brake booster and master cylinder retro fit.

All correct info, 'cept for the 6 piston calipers.

Wilwood only makes them in a 4 piston setup for both the front and rear for the SHO.

I did upgrade to the "Poly Matrix E" Race Pad(s), as well as the "Titanium Heat Shields".

The 15" cross drilled and slotted rotor was a new (& recent) upgrade being offered, which increases the rotor size and thickness, versus the standard 14.25" offering.

I plan on doing this exact same set up on the rear, most likely purchasing middle of (this) August, and installing by end of August assuming a 2 week turn around on assembly and shipping.

Next to the newly built race motor, and then the tuning to go along with it, this Wilwood Big Brake Upgrade is among my Top 3 "Must Have's".

panther427

honestly i think the brake held up very well.. 10 laps plus your normal driving. YES the rotors got hot, but the holes don't appear to be cracked out you didn't mention warped pulsing brake feel? 10 laps on STREET pads with our big fast heavy car.. Im actually impressed.

though if your wipping out brakes on the 944 im thinking some change of driving might need to be in order or shorter stints to let things cool off between run.
Didnt the car talk back to you give you some hint the brake where going?

If you DD your car and only do 1/4 runs i think for the price these seem to be a good deal. For actual track day i would at least get EBC or project Mu pads and decent rotor. If you these rotor felt ok still there price would make them good track day use still.

I have purposly destoryed brakes before it takes a lot of heat. I mean making them glowing RED hot heat. which looks really cool at night btw.
2013 SHO

SHOdded

Quote from: panther427 on June 18, 2015, 11:36:25 PM
I have purposly destoryed brakes before it takes a lot of heat. I mean making them glowing RED hot heat. which looks really cool at night btw.
LOL
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

66 Galaxie

Sounds like you had fun except for the burned up pads and most likely boiled brake fluid in your calipers contributing to your pedal to the floor experience.

Agree with Panther427, rotors don't look too bad and as long as they are not cracking or warped they held up pretty well.

Before you do another track day I would see if you can find a better "track"pad that can take the heat, flush your brake fluid and replace with a fluid with a higher boiling point.  Additionally you can look into making brake cooling ducts to help cool them down.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

irondoor19

Yes:

We did a full Flush with Motul RBF 600, the week before i went to the track

The only Notice i got was when the Petal went to the Floor on lap 10....And i was mowing Grass

and afterword the other guy(s) on the track behind me said they Could smell the pads cooking

Ha..