• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How to fix weird Knock Retard

Started by ShoBoat, May 28, 2015, 04:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

Interesting Z. Never thought of that, I will look into it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

Larrylu

Thanks for sharing the theory and results. I've had that same problem for a long time but recently ( this spring) it went into an unexplained total remission. I chalked it up to the return of summer gas.  Not complaining about the mystery cure, but I think I'll do your fix anyway cause it just makes such good sense.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ZSHO

I have to say quite honestly what troubles me is for us guys and gals of course,swapping the stat for a colder one,depending how much coolant we loose or how hot it may be,the knock sensor wires are so close to the stat assembly making it more vulnerable to coolant loss.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

14 TUX BL

I recently had a few incidents of noticeable hesitation/bogging. No codes, checked the knock sensor wire and all looked good. I always use Sunoco 93, tried filling up on Mobil 93 just in case. Problem has dissipated for now, moved the knock sensor behind the adjacent loom to be safe.

SHOdded

Sunoco is not a Top Tier gasoline, but I assume your regular station was a high-volume one at least?  I know a couple of people who had KR with Sunoco gas resolve it by moving on to Exxon or Shell etc.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Quote from: SHOdded on July 07, 2015, 09:51:07 AM
Sunoco is not a Top Tier gasoline, but I assume your regular station was a high-volume one at least?  I know a couple of people who had KR with Sunoco gas resolve it by moving on to Exxon or Shell etc.

Agreed, I have personally noticed when filling up at a really busy station vs a dead one. KR was noticeably more with the dead one. Corn is always best when fresh ;)

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

14 TUX BL

Quote from: SHOdded on July 07, 2015, 09:51:07 AM

Quote from: ShoBoat on July 07, 2015, 10:48:02 AM
Agreed, I have personally noticed when filling up at a really busy station vs a dead one. KR was noticeably more with the dead one. Corn is always best when fresh ;)

The Sunoco station is indeed a high volume station, one that I've been going to for a long time (it's close too). I read where Mobil was Top Tier gas and Sunoco was not, but for some reason we have very few Mobil stations where I live. But I think it is definitely a better choice and will be using it just to see if the problem returns.

Quick aside:
A couple of years ago I had a new Coyote Stang that intermittently lost power. I thought maybe it could be the gas so I went elsewhere for fuel, but the problem continued and it eventually threw a code. Turned out it was a loose OHC sensor plug.

ZSHO

I tend to stay away from gas stations that have a 5-10 cents off a gallon especially that particular day. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

If your issues continue personaly would pay a visit to your local dealer and possibly a re-flash is in order. Z

wasinger3000

So what's the consensus on knock in relation to fuel economy. Is it more economical to run a higher octane to prevent knock which will reduce the amount of fuel sprayed in compensation of the knock. Or is it not worth the price increase over 87? I'm taking the f150 on a trip over 4k miles and it's not tuned so no need for 91.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ShoBoat

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 07, 2015, 12:49:12 PM
So what's the consensus on knock in relation to fuel economy. Is it more economical to run a higher octane to prevent knock which will reduce the amount of fuel sprayed in compensation of the knock. Or is it not worth the price increase over 87? I'm taking the f150 on a trip over 4k miles and it's not tuned so no need for 91.

We run 91 in our 11 Explorer Limited. I noticed a jump in economy since the change from 87. From 17L/100km down to 14.5 ish. (Sorry about the metric) Mixed driving. It's also better for the car/truck. Keep in mind that around these parts 91 has no corn so that might also be a factor.

ShoBoat

Forgot to mention that ours has the factory tune.

SHOnUup

I've read that using 93 gets better mileage and ends up being same money spent as using 87...but your vehicle would appreciate the higher octane, and is better for it.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOnUup on July 07, 2015, 01:44:36 PM
I've read that using 93 gets better mileage and ends up being same money spent as using 87...but your vehicle would appreciate the higher octane, and is better for it.

Rich
Yeah I don't really ever want to use 87 just not sure if it is worth using in a truck that gets terrible milage as it is. I'll be using archoil in the fuel so I'm not worried about deposits.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

14 TUX BL

Yeah, if the issue presents itself again I'll take a trip to the dealer.

Went for a ride tonight, and in the hot/humid air it performed really well. Will keep an eye on it ...