• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" Front pads and Rotors - Kolk1

Started by SHOdded, November 23, 2013, 01:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Originally posted by Kolk1

DIY: Front pads and Rotors
03-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Not sure if its on here already, but I like to take pics, and talk about what I did today, so either way here it is. lol

I only did my fronts, and I had 0 issues with my old brakes to begin with and the pads still looked new, But I wanted better, So I just had my front rotors turned, but they said they were straight and didnt need it, and basically just deglazed and cleaned the surface.

I went with Red Stuff EBC pads. Found them for about $55 plus shipping, BUT It took 2 weeks for them to show up, I ordered them on the 5th, and they showed up yesterday. I will not order again from THMotorsports or something like that, no tracking number, wouldnt return emails, nothing. But anyway...

Parts I used to do brake pads:

17MM Open end wrench for caliper bolts.
19MM To remove lug nuts.
C Clamp to compress caliper a tiny bit.
Obviously Jack and Jack Stands.

Additional to take off Rotors:
T40 Torx bit
18MM socket.

Total job took me less than 1 hour.

1) Jack up car and remove wheel.
2) At that point look at the backside of the Caliper, you will see 2 bolts, one at the very top, one at the very bottom, Use a 17mm socket or wrench to completely remove these 2 bolts.
Bottom bolt only half way out for photo, normally just remove completely:

Top bolt only half way out for photo, normally just remove completely:

At this point, the main part of the caliper will come off. NEVER TOUCH THE BRAKE PEDAL WHILE A CALIPER IS REMOVED!! Dont twist or kink the brake line at all, I just gently set it on top of the rotor for the time being

The pads at this point will just slide out of the sides of the remaining bracket:

Then I used one of the OLD brake pads, put it back inside of the caliper, and used a C clamp to slightly compress the caliper. Keep the C clamp as centered as possible, and when tightening, go a tiny bit, wait a second, then go a tiny bit more, dont try and use extreme force to push the caliper fluid back into the brake system, if you wait 1 second between 1/4 turns, it will go smoother. I also test very frequently, so Im only compressing the caliper the minimum needed to fit over the new brakes.

I didnt take a pic of removing the rotors, but each rotor has a T40 screw on the face of the rotor, and 2 18mm bolts on the back. Pretty self explanatory, but heres the tools I used for that part lol

I also used anti squeal grease on the back of the new pads.

Installation is obviously the reverse of removal. Once everything is reinstalled, and ready to drive, the brakes will need to be pumped a couple times since you had to compress the calipers, this is normal, but once pumped, You shouldnt have to ever pump them again, if so, you might have a fluid leak somewhere. I did a quick little test drive for about 10 minutes, EBC pads do have a break in period, so follow that if you want, or not if you feel you know better than they do. lol

Im not saying my way is right or the best way, but thats how I did it, and Ive done a ton of breaks and never had an issue. I take no remorse if you mess up your car. lol
Last edited by Kolk1; 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM.

03-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Yes, those 2 bolts had to be completely removed, for pics, I only had them halfway removed so you can tell which ones I was talking about.

As part of step 2, I mention that the 17mm bolts had to be removed, but yea due to how I took the pics, its a little confusing. ill see if I can retype that part.

Yes, most of my Torx bits have seen better days. Some have been cut and refiled so I could still use them, after they get twisted too bad. lol

Edited post, should be more clear now.
Last edited by Kolk1; 03-19-2013, 02:59 PM.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

JDW1

Ok, I'm having a moment of frustration, on my sho I currently have the caliper off, the 4 bolts on back of the rotor off and the hex off the front of the rotor and the rotors won't budge, what am I missing?
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

66 Galaxie

Rotor may be rusted in place and in need of convincing. Try wacking it  with a 2x4 or a wood baseball bat.  If you don't have a piece of wood big enough to hit it find a piece of wood to hold against the rotor and hit that piece with a hammer this way the wood will keep you from chipping the rotor.

When convincing the rotor hit it from the inside out so you are moving the rotor off of the car.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

ZSHO

X2,on that,if possible try turning the wheel and with a rubber malet gently hit the Rotor a section at a time,probably have alot of rust,dust,dirt buildup inside preventing it from coming out,also try (spraying some WD-40 around/inside the wheel bolts liberally).  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

JDW1

Finally got them off but ruined them in the process.  Had to beat them like they owed me money.  First time I couldn't get a set off with just a few hits with a rubber mallot.  They aren't cheap either..
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

BiGMaC

A good reason to consider AM slotted and/or dimpled and upgraded rotors though!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOnUup

Firm mule kick helps too :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ecoboostsho

I've used a propane torch before (not on this car though) and it has always done the trick. Just don't get everything too hot.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile