• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Custom Built CAI! (Installed 08/06/13)

Started by bpd1151, June 26, 2013, 03:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n8rfastback

2010 SHO

EcoBrick Bob

Quote from: n8rfastback on September 30, 2013, 04:26:56 PM
I'm also wondering if the stock opening in front of the airbox could be expanded upon or opened up a little to allow more flow from the grill area?  I looked under and beside the airraid cai and I just don't see where any extra tubing could even go to get fender air into the airraid box?  The fender area is doubled up steel like it's part of the frame and straight down goes right between the radiator and tranny and tranny cooler lines so it's gotta be hot as hell down there

In my Flex, I am running a Carriage Works open grille.  To install I had to cut out all the plastic in front of the radiator, so mine is very open.  You can stick fingers thru the oval opening and poke them out thru the grille.  I'm pretty sure there is a way to feed a tube down to the pan behind the bumper cover, by going down towards the ground just behind the drivers side headlamp. That's what that hose that is shown in BPD's CAI pix is for.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

n8rfastback

In my SHO it's all frame rail right up under the headlight, but there is a small opening down there, maybe 2"  or so.  Lots of wiring to move out of the way too but I suppose it could be done.  I may try to open things up to my filter better this winter if I get time
2010 SHO

mjhpadi

Just a note, when I changed oil the last time, I looked at the bottom engine cover, and it is printed on mine that it should not be removed that it is needed for cooling.  It's printed into the cover.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

05yellowgt

The covers serve a couple of functions.  One is for better MPG in the way of better aerodynamics.  With the cover off the engine bay becomes a high pressure area because the are going under the car gets trapped.  This is why you see the hood lifting more when the cover is removed.  Another reason is to provide better cooling.  You want as much air as possible to go through the grill to hit the radiator and inter cooler.  The under tray works to keep that same high pressure area forming under the hood, which reduces the amount of air that can flow through the radiator.  A final item, which is probably more trivial so to keep water and rain from getting into the engine bay more so than you would have without the under tray.

Out of all of those items, better highway MPG is probably the biggest factor, though I'm sure that the cooling system was also designed around having the under tray.  You are going to see many many more underbody aero items on future models because of the higher EPA ratings in coming years.  My 2013 F150 actually has a little chin spoiler under the bumper, which is meant to deflect some of the air from getting into the engine bay, again for better highway aerodynamics.  I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing full body under trays on regular cars and not just super cars in the near future as manufacturers are going to have to pull out a lot of tricks out of their hats to hit future economy requirements.  Engine advancement is only going to do so much.  These aero mods will also be a lot cheaper to implement before you start seeing more all aluminum and composite cars working to get the weight down while having to meet ever tougher crash test requirements and inclusion of more electronic safety gizmos, which keep adding weight back into cars.
2010 Ford Flex Limited w/Ecoboost- SOLD
2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew 6.5ft bed Ecoboost w/3.55

m3dragon

Revival from the dead.

Is there any updates on this?

Also link to S&B filter is dead now.

m3dragon

K&N Is the only option for a dual out now. S&B did kill the product filter for now.

Might explore this on my own as it seems like a better setup. Anyone?

SHOnUup

This is a great setup.

Only one similar on the market is from Hennessy, but costs like 2k.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ZSHO

Quote from: mjhpadi on October 01, 2013, 02:13:58 AM
Just a note, when I changed oil the last time, I looked at the bottom engine cover, and it is printed on mine that it should not be removed that it is needed for cooling.  It's printed into the cover.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: MJ YOU AND DAVE ARE DA MAN,might swing by one of these days,the pizza is on me.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

m3dragon

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 31, 2015, 10:06:09 PM
This is a great setup.

I am asking S&B if they still have it. They have dual outlet filters just website not listing them. I am looking to make my own version and I will post DIY as not data from this one is present.

bpd1151

Quote from: m3dragon on March 28, 2016, 10:25:09 AM
Quote from: SHOnUup on August 31, 2015, 10:06:09 PM
This is a great setup.

I am asking S&B if they still have it. They have dual outlet filters just website not listing them. I am looking to make my own version and I will post DIY as not data from this one is present.

S&B simply retooled their website.

I believe this should be an active link as of 03/29/16 for the filter used in my setup......

http://www.sbfilters.com/index.php/year-make-model-engine/replacement-filters-cotton-cleanable-kf-1014.html

Hope it's of some help. Continued successes!