• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PP vs. Non PP?

Started by 14 TUX BL, April 10, 2015, 11:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

I'd say there is no difference whatsoever ...just lower fuel economy so it's a lose lose if you ask me
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHO-Time

Quote from: 14 TUX BL on April 13, 2015, 08:55:25 AM
Ok guys, let's try to stay on topic. ;- )

My question again: Is there a measurable performance advantage in 1/4 mile times between a PP and non PP car.

Since comparisons become futile once we begin throwing in mods, let's keep it to 100% bumper-to-bumper bone stock cars.

Go!

P.S. I'll try to get times for my own ride when time permits.

(Going back to your first post) Even though the SHO is AWD, it's a reactive AWD system and will still spin the front tires. So better sticky summer tires can only help in the traction department. I can't speak for stock vs stock, but my brother in-law owns a PP and I own a non-PP. When we both had JUST a LMS V8 tune and raced from stop light to stop light, he was consistently 3/4 to 1 length ahead of me each and every time. This is where the difference in gearing comes to light. Click the link below if you would like to see our 1/4 mile times from this past weekend. Once again we're not stock, but you can gauge the difference between the two SHOs...They're close, but there is a difference.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4663.0.html
2015 Chevy SS Perfect Blue / LMT Tuned (390 RWHP / 388 RWTQ)
2013 White Platinum Tri-Coat SHO (Non-PP) *SOLD*

ZSHO

I just wanted to clarify this one more time,the PP due to the 3;16 drive ratio will only have a very slight lead or edge from 0-60,its simple as thats.Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHO-Time

Quote from: ZSHO on April 13, 2015, 09:42:05 AM
I just wanted to clarify this one more time,the PP due to the 3;16 drive ratio will only have a very slight lead during the 0-60',and thats as simple as it gets.Z

Exactly. They're close, but there is a difference and it comes down to the hole shot. With all things being equal, the PP will beat the non-PP from a dig by roughly 3/4 to 1 car length every time. It's an undeniable fact that the gearing makes a difference. 
2015 Chevy SS Perfect Blue / LMT Tuned (390 RWHP / 388 RWTQ)
2013 White Platinum Tri-Coat SHO (Non-PP) *SOLD*

AJP turbo

I just wanted to clarify this one more time,the PP due to the 3;16 drive ratio will only have a very slight lead or edge from 0-60,its simple as thats.Z

Z the lead will continue or stay the same..not like the pp will be slower after 60

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on April 13, 2015, 10:13:55 AM

Z the lead will continue or stay the same..not like the pp will be slower after 60
AJP i'm a bit confused based from your last post saying theres no difference whatsoever,has your opinion changed (whatsoever) .Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

The Right Way To Choose A Gear Ratio Combination - oldie but goodie article
http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/vi_8-gearing-1.html

Check for drag racing vs cruising optimization
http://wallaceracing.com/calcrgr.php

2.76 gears will get you 140 mph with 20" tires at 6500 rpm.
3.16 gears will get you 122 mph with 20" tires at 6500 rpm.

It's about torque to the ground!
http://rubydist.com/Family/Power.html
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Please disregard my statement about there being no difference my head temporarily exploded then I regained my logic.

I was thinking it made perfect sense for a hardware change to have no change whatsoever and even make the car slower but then I regained consciousness and realized how idiotic that would be so I apologize.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ZSHO

At the end of the day, we strapped on the old VBox and grabbed some acceleration and braking numbers on the long flat straight and were impressed. Acceleration-wise, it's a testament to repeatability, overlaying almost exactly on our 2010 Performance-Package SHO with a 5.2-second blast to 60 mph and a 13.7-second quarter mile at 103.2 mph (0.2 mph faster than the last one). Braking, however, was a big improvement at 106 feet versus 112. There was no chance to get figure eight numbers, but you can expect lap times to drop and overall g level to rise with the improved braking

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1205_2013_ford_taurus_sho_performance_package_first_test/#ixzz3XD0whfmx
So the PP is 0.2 faster in a quarter mile.Z

ZSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on April 13, 2015, 12:48:08 PM
Please disregard my statement about there being no difference my head temporarily exploded then I regained my logic.

I was thinking it made perfect sense for a hardware change to have no change whatsoever and even make the car slower but then I regained consciousness and realized how idiotic that would be so I apologize.
No worries(its all good)Z

14 TUX BL

Great responses everyone, that's the kind of back and forth discussion I like seeing!

Quote from: ZSHO on April 13, 2015, 12:53:57 PM
  At the end of the day, we strapped on the old VBox and grabbed some acceleration and braking numbers on the long flat straight and were impressed. Acceleration-wise, it's a testament to repeatability, overlaying almost exactly on our 2010 Performance-Package SHO with a 5.2-second blast to 60 mph and a 13.7-second quarter mile at 103.2 mph (0.2 mph faster than the last one). Braking, however, was a big improvement at 106 feet versus 112. There was no chance to get figure eight numbers, but you can expect lap times to drop and overall g level to rise with the improved braking

So the PP is 0.2 faster in a quarter mile.Z

If I read the article correctly, MT was comparing the 2013 SHO PP to their original test of a 2010 SHO PP:

"Acceleration-wise, it's a testament to repeatability, overlaying almost exactly on our 2010 Performance-Package SHO with a 5.2-second blast to 60 mph and a 13.7-second quarter mile at 103.2 mph (0.2 mph faster than the last one)."

So the 2013 SHO PP they tested was .2 mph faster in the quarter (not .2 sec faster) than the 2010 PP. Mags rarely test the "base" version of a performance car, everyone I can find of the 2010-present SHO's are all PP.

IHeartGroceries

You can argue about acceleration until you're blue in the face.

But you're overlooking the two features found on PP, which makes the upgrade well worthwhile - ability to completely defeat AdvanceTrac and the additional cooling. The front transfer unit already has a humorously small fill of oil, which seems to turn to peanut butter rather quickly, from overheating. The aux water cooling will most certainly prolong the life of that oil.
2013 SHO PP

SHOnUup

The cooling features of the PTU and oil cooler are the 2 things I drool over being a non PP owner.

Checked my PTU fluid before heading to the track last weekend, and after a short 12-13k interval I already had a decent sludge build up on the plug again.

Rich
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

Do you have powertrain warranty remaining, Rich?  Hopefully your rigorous maintenance will keep the PTU out of the replacement hospital, but need to work up a longterm strategy :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Quote from: SHOdded on April 15, 2015, 06:25:49 AM
Do you have powertrain warranty remaining, Rich?  Hopefully your rigorous maintenance will keep the PTU out of the replacement hospital, but need to work up a longterm strategy :)
Power train is 60k right? At 48 right now, and we have the FoMoCo 100k bumper to bumper.

Fluid still looks pretty good though. It was full and had a light colored tone to it. Used a zip-tie taped to a garden stick to check the level. Pic, looks darker than the fluid was.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.