• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Simoniz Professional GlassCoat Suggestions?

Started by 14SHOCAR, April 07, 2015, 09:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

double c

Getting new 2016-born on 7/28/2015-Explorer Sport CQuartz'ed on Sept 11-12.  Can't wait to see when done.  May not enhance shine as much on lighter color (Ingot Silver) as on darker ones, but up-keep should be easier. Getting too old to spend time on waxing 3-4 times per year.  Plus this is bigger than SHO. Detailer had three offerings-Opticoat/CQuartz Finest/Modesta in what he said was a good/better/best ladder.  Went with middle offering as that seems to have most known qualities.  Modesta-way expensive.
Will find out soon. 
2010 Steel Blue Metallic  Stage 4+ My DD (Gone Girl)

2013 Escape Titanium Sterling Gray Metallic 2.0 EB  XYL's DD

2016 Explorer Sport: Ingot Silver Metallic: CQuartz-Finest My DD

BiGMaC

Quote from: double c on September 01, 2015, 07:54:28 PM
Getting new 2016-born on 7/28/2015-Explorer Sport CQuartz'ed on Sept 11-12.  Can't wait to see when done.  May not enhance shine as much on lighter color (Ingot Silver) as on darker ones, but up-keep should be easier. Getting too old to spend time on waxing 3-4 times per year.  Plus this is bigger than SHO. Detailer had three offerings-Opticoat/CQuartz Finest/Modesta in what he said was a good/better/best ladder.  Went with middle offering as that seems to have most known qualities.  Modesta-way expensive.
Will find out soon. 
You will love it... A whole new depth of shine that won't go away!
Check out my threads (just search CQuart Finest).... I am 21 months into mine... Still looks like it did when it was put on by my detail guy. No swirls/spiders or scratches still and I have never waxed the car... I did have a paint correction done first as the dealer maintenance on his lot had put a lot of swirls on the car... I absolutely love it. ... I decontaminate the finish with Iron-X about every 4 months in my foam cannon and do apply CarPro Reload (20 minutes and no pressure at that time.... About a dollar's worth does it. I wash the car with the Chemical Guys Greenstuff in a foam cannon, rinse, blow dry.  No need to rub 'cause stuff just won't stuck to it. They will warrant the finish and your paint for 2 years, but it lasts a lot longer (I have a friend who is about 4 years into it and still looks new). MUCH better than any wax or paint sealer I've ever used...bar none... and chemicals, bugs, and bird bombs won't stick or etch the finish...

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Can't wait to see before/during/after pics, double c!  Americoat is one of the newer, more affordable offerings on the market, don't know yet whether it holds up like CQuartz.  If you really wanted to, you could still get the X waxed for extra pop ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

So this has been on my list to do...when I got my sho that's when I first learned about it...dealer wanted 900 for the service and said that public could not get the stuff...I knew better.

Big Mac do u prefer simonize glass coat or cquart? I'm guessing they are the same?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BiGMaC

Quote from: ajpturbo on September 02, 2015, 09:00:24 AM
So this has been on my list to do...when I got my sho that's when I first learned about it...dealer wanted 900 for the service and said that public could not get the stuff...I knew better.

Big Mac do u prefer simonize glass coat or cquart? I'm guessing they are the same?
I admit ignorance about the Simonize coating...I thought it was just a paint sealer... So I'll defer that.
As far as pricing... I paid $250 for the CQuart Finest (this is done by CarProcertified applies only), but even on my car new after a few months on the dealer lot there was  lot of spidering, swirls, and other finish damage due to bad practices there.... So I also had a paint correction done which took two people working together for 30 hours and cost $750. My time and no need for waxing (which will actually dull the shine of CQuart as measured on a reflectometer) has  paint for my costs. There is a consumer version of CQuart available in a kit for about $150 or so as I remember. Application has a significant learning curve to avoid streaking though... A lot of extra wiping with a damp MF towel is needed to remove the streaking before it starts curing... If you do it work on a cool shaded car and small sections only. With either one you can drive in a couple of hours, but shouldn't get the car wet or wash it for 7 days until full bonding to the paint occurs.
Opti coat is tougher, but to my eye has a yellow caste on a car. There are newer paint coatings (differentiate from sealants!)... They may be equivalent, but I'm super happy with the CQuart finest.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SHOdded

Glass based sealants are becoming more popular due to ease of applicatio,  But AFAIK, durability is nowhere near that of CQF.  CarPro came out with Hydro2 sealant a while back, VERY easy to apply, but in the 6 month range durability vs 2 yr for CQF.  Multiple layers of CQF will add more thickness to the paint, hence more protection.  You could do that with Sominiz possibly, not sure how effective it would be.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Simonize glasscoat says 7 years of protection....they have a segment on modern marvels on the history channel

http://youtu.be/ji1GG4O9l1U

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Lets see what realworld durability will be like.  If it is over a year of "100% gloss & durability", it will be a worthy sealant. 

Waxes dont typically last more than 3-4 months in an outdoors environment BTW.

If you are not nitpicky, you dont need a wax or a sealant.

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on September 02, 2015, 11:07:21 AM
Lets see what realworld durability will be like.  If it is over a year of "100% gloss & durability", it will be a worthy sealant. 

Waxes dont typically last more than 3-4 months in an outdoors environment BTW.

If you are not nitpicky, you dont need a wax or a sealant.
Manu... You know I'm OC on appearance! At the cost I agree, even a years worth if it's as hard as touted would be great at the price point. On another note, in a Phx summer wax just melts off the car, especially Carnuba, in just a few days.

BiGMaC

OK.... Regardless of the coating you decide to put on your car, get the paint corrected or correct it and decontaminate it yourself before applying any semi permanent coating.... This is how to obtain optimum results.  Checkout the"water spots" in the pics... They are actually mineral etched into the finish by the PHX sun!
Wills Amstutz and his partner/sister Dana run Windows and Wheels ... Mobile detailing and shop in Gilbert.... Here is the story of how they fixed the dealer paint damage and coated my SHO.... Remember, I bought this car new and took it in to them within 4 weeks of purchase. Dealer washing contractors just don't take the time to prevent paint damage during washing.... Here's the paint damage Wills found and what they did.... He posted this. They treat every car as if it were their own and headed for a car show!
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?60364-Phoenix-Detail-2013-SHO-Taurus-Water-spots-sanding-marks-CQuartz-Finest

AJP turbo

I've waxed my car once recently....how would u go about prepping a waxed car for application of simonize or cquart?

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on September 06, 2015, 09:16:29 PM
I've waxed my car once recently....how would u go about prepping a waxed car for application of simonize or cquart?
Cquartz is only licensed to about 90 people in the entire country.

Luckily one of my buddies is one of those guys. 😊

The wax would need to be stripped, iron x or similar treatment would need to be done to remove any metal contamination.

It is a very labor intensive process but the results are spectacular. BigMac's car is a fine example. I've seen quite a few irl and it is stunning.

FoMoCoSHO

SHOdded

One of the detailer's favorite tools to strip wax from paint is ... DAWN!  Yes, the dish soap :)  It works very well, you can use a concentration that works for you but anywhere from 3-6oz/gallon is the usual stated dilution.  Based on richy's (a top detailer) preference, I like to mix Dawn 50/50 with Zep Citrus (same dilution), great combo.

AJP turbo

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress