• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Simoniz Professional GlassCoat Suggestions?

Started by 14SHOCAR, April 07, 2015, 09:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

Have any of you used GlassCoat before? I have access to GlassCoat (ignoring the fact that the bottle says ILLEGAL TO RESALE). Apparently the procedure is to clean your car, lightly apply the coat and buff it off before it "completely dries".

http://www.simonizprofessional.com/business/Content/Simoniz_GlassCoat_1.asp

This stuff was featured on Modern Marvels, and supposedly bonds to the clear coat on a molecular level. They say you will not need to wax your car for 7 years! The stuff is about $60.00 a box and the bottles are pretty small... Thoughts?
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOdded

The best stuff out there IMHO is CQuartz Finest/UK, and that has a 2 year guarantee, can last longer with proper maintenance.  I don't know about 7 years, maybe if your car is garage kept most of the time?  I'd read the fine print.  For example, how difficult is it to apply, does it work with all types of paints, does it have to fail completely all over the car for the warranty to be valid, are there installers out there, etc.  Kinda like Ford's rust protection warranty.  Don't count on surface rust to get a warranty claim, it has to be perforation.

As far as bonding molecularly, that's basic chemistry.  Everything "bonds" else it wouldn't stick.  So ignore that marketing stuff.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

14SHOCAR

Shodded -- apparently it bonds differently than other waxes... due to the way it bonds, it lasts significantly longer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdI5w05pOww

Also pictures from my buddy acquired some:

15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

66 Galaxie

Have not used it but it looks like a competitor to CQuart and Opticoat which have gotten good reviews.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

BiGMaC

I am a CQuart Finest user.... Had it applied to the SHO about 17-18 months ago. 50cc did 2 coats on the whole car.  These are coatings and can only be removed mechanically. They are thicker than the paint, at least Quart is... There is not a scratch or spider on the car yet.  I have never waxed the car or applied anything to the finish since coating except CQuart Reload every 3-4 months (15 min, $5).  I decontaminate the finish every 3 months using a foam cannon and Iron-X wheel cleaner.  At work it sits in the AZ sun all day, it's a DD, and I live on an unpaved road.  Doesn't attract dust, wet look shine, resists chemicals and bird bombs... Car is coated in ceramic, literally... the coating is clear (some look a little yellow to me and show up that way on reflectance meters.   Also, the Quart Finest actually rates about 2.5 on the MOHS hardness scale, diamonds are 10, but paint doesn't rate.   

Note:The trick to any coating is the paint correction first!!!  Otherwise you get shiny scratches.

Here is a ink to my 4 month update
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2351.msg34077.html#msg34077

Here ins a link to the Mar 2015 update:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4515.msg70244.html#msg70244

There is not a scratch on my car. Nothing sticks.  I get most of the water off it with a garden hose. Run off angle is 5 degrees

I love this stuff... it added 4-5 days of time to my year as well as looking great (IMHO)... here are a few pics from the original application you can compare to the pics in the updates:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

14SHOCAR

What is this "plastic correction" you talk of in your signature?
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

BiGMaC

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on April 07, 2015, 10:42:38 AM
What is this "plastic correction" you talk of in your signature?

As an overview... my benchmark is that the finish should look like polished glass... I use the reflectivity of the sunroof vs the coated finish to judge.

The tails and HLs are covered with small scratches... I promise... I had the plastic (lights and the B pillars corrected and coated too.... here's a pic of the after:

Of course, I've blacked out the tails since, LOL... but the B pillars look great still...and the painted pockets of the flower wheels too!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

bee615

Opticoat is a tremendous product.  I coated my matte black wheels when I first got them and they still look perfect after a brutal NJ winter.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0 TT AWD
2017 Dodge Hellcat Charger - 825 rwhp
(SOLD) 2013 Lincoln MKS AWD w/Ecoboost - Airaid, Livernois Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow catback, 3 bar MAP, SCT Livewire TS, Unleashed tune, TSW wheels

BiGMaC

Quote from: bee615 on April 07, 2015, 11:21:36 AM
Opticoat is a tremendous product.  I coated my matte black wheels when I first got them and they still look perfect after a brutal NJ winter.
I agree!... Optical and CQuart Finest are the two industry leaders currently. Since they are semipermanent I personally can't recommend other products... I felt like i was experimenting with the overall appearance of my car when I first did it.

14SHOCAR

What about keeping the bottom plastic from fading/looking shiney? Any Suggestions?

I once made the mistake of putting "back to black" on my trim pieces only for it to permanently causing a white haze on the trim after it starting wearing off.
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 07, 2015, 11:38:56 AM
Quote from: bee615 on April 07, 2015, 11:21:36 AM
I agree!... Optical and CQuart Finest are the two industry leaders currently. Since they are semipermanent I personally can't recommend other products... I felt like i was experimenting with the overall appearance of my car when I first did it.
Did someone say cquartz?

SHOdded

Products like Carpro DLux/PERL will keep your exterior trim looking great without adding unwanted glossiness.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

14SHOCAR

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 07, 2015, 05:31:11 PM
Did someone say cquartz?
DAAAAAAAMN that shine!

One more questions for you.... did you clay bar the car before you applied the cquarts?
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

SHOdded

Wash - decontaminate (Tardis/TarX/IronX) - clay bar (or clay substitute) - fix any scratches with paint - polish - IPA - THEN CQuartz/Opticoat/coating of choice.

BiGMaC

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on April 07, 2015, 05:42:22 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 07, 2015, 05:31:11 PM
Did someone say cquartz?
DAAAAAAAMN that shine!

One more questions for you.... did you clay bar the car before you applied the cquarts?
Nope., did Iron-X on the whole car and then 2 people worked together for 30 hours to correct paint on a brand new car!  Worth the $750!  Almost no orange peel.