• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

transmission and PTU

Started by Txstrmhntr, April 04, 2015, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

Does this mean we can use Dexron VI in the 6F55?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

glock-coma

Quote from: metroplex on August 01, 2016, 04:45:29 AM
Does this mean we can use Dexron VI in the 6F55?
I'm pretty sure the 6F55 requires motorcraft LV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Valvoline's MaxLife ATF is both Dexron VI and Mercon LV compatible.  BUT it is not OEM licensed, and any recourse would be through Valvoline directly.
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Castrol's TransMax DexVI MercLV product appears to be licensed for both specs, so that may be a better go to:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/6012D45D5B60026F80257C40000798C9/$File/Transmax%20DEXRON%20VI%20MERCON%20LV_468179_2013_12.pdf
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I prefer to do my trans fluid every 30k with only Motorcraft mercon LV.  Z [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUBoXyQ7UDQ#]! No longer available]! No longer available  [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMoTqPBIyGw#]! No longer available]! No longer available      Definitely like to add Amsoil or Redline to the mix for the PTU,RDU.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

That's what I figured, if the 6T80 and 6F55 are identical, and GM specifies Dex VI while Ford specifies Mercon LV, both fluids must be very similar.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

SHOdded

Similar doesn't mean identical.  So if you choose to use a Dexron VI fluid, it must also clearly be spec'd for Mercon LV.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

metroplex

Quote from: Txstrmhntr on April 04, 2015, 10:04:29 PM
Ok ive looked a little deeper from what ive found now the GM tran and Ford Trans are 100% identical down to the case molding, only difference is FoMoCo uses there own solenoids, and the final gear ratios are different than the GM cars, but its 100% mechanically the same. in other words you could bolt a 6T80 Gm trans straight up to a 3.5L ecoboost and only thing youd have to change are the shift solenoids.

Unless the solenoids themselves really absolutely need Dexron VI or Mercon LV...
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

SHOdded

Since solenoids are at the heart of the transmission, yeah, I would refrain from experimenting unless I had the funds and were willing to swap/rebuild.  Shouldn't happen quickly logically, but logic is based on known constraints.  Who knows the trans may even like it ...

Cole.C

Have been wondering if anyone has looked into this any further. Know I need a new trans shortly wondering if I bought a new 6t80 trans how difficult would the swap be. Hope to see this done eventually if the 6t80 is improved over the 6f55 in any notable way?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Quote from: Cole.C on July 22, 2018, 09:20:04 PM
Have been wondering if anyone has looked into this any further. Know I need a new trans shortly wondering if I bought a new 6t80 trans how difficult would the swap be. Hope to see this done eventually if the 6t80 is improved over the 6f55 in any notable way?

+1....subbd

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

Cole.C

Quote from: AJP turbo on April 06, 2015, 10:39:08 PM
Been a few months since I read it but certain GM versions of this tranny have an even more aggressive final drive. I'm thinking like 3.27 or something....I was thinking it would be a fairly easy swap and just a matter of changing the part and tune adjustments for gearing....Easy if you do tranny work but bolt in nonetheless.....I'd like to know for sure though
https://www.sourceoneautoparts.com/24265608-6t80-transmission-6-speed-automatic-2014-16-cadillac-xts-vsport.html
Found these 6t80 trans at a decent price it says it's final gear drive is 3:16 which is the same as the 6f55 used in the police interceptor sedans which is what I'd be doing the swap in. If it did bolt right up with no issues and the wiring harnesses look the same but never know could be ever so slightly different but hoping not.  Would the car require a custom tune to be driven or if the final gear ratio is the same and ends up being easy as a OEM install would it be safe to drive the car atleast on a trailer to get it home to be messed if even nescessary?

glock-coma

Quote from: Cole.C on July 23, 2018, 09:16:28 AM
Been a few months since I read it but certain GM versions of this tranny have an even more aggressive final drive. I'm thinking like 3.27 or something....I was thinking it would be a fairly easy swap and just a matter of changing the part and tune adjustments for gearing....Easy if you do tranny work but bolt in nonetheless.....I'd like to know for sure though
https://www.sourceoneautoparts.com/24265608-6t80-transmission-6-speed-automatic-2014-16-cadillac-xts-vsport.html
Found these 6t80 trans at a decent price it says it's final gear drive is 3:16 which is the same as the 6f55 used in the police interceptor sedans which is what I'd be doing the swap in. If it did bolt right up with no issues and the wiring harnesses look the same but never know could be ever so slightly different but hoping not.  Would the car require a custom tune to be driven or if the final gear ratio is the same and ends up being easy as a OEM install would it be safe to drive the car atleast on a trailer to get it home to be messed if even nescessary?

Umm...that's a Cadillac (GM) trans.
I HIGHLY doubt it will bolt up.
Nor will the wiring harness match.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Cole.C

Quote from: glock-coma on July 23, 2018, 06:39:38 PM
Quote from: Cole.C on July 23, 2018, 09:16:28 AM

Umm...that's a Cadillac (GM) trans.
I HIGHLY doubt it will bolt up.
Nor will the wiring harness match.
The cases look the same, bolt pattern looks the same as well as harness.. I'd have to order it and try to have it bolted up. set side by side you'd barely be able to tell the difference besides the 6t80's added case ribbing compared to the 6f55. but yes thanks I'm trying to buy and install a GM trans... even if I do have to have an adapter made or go through some weird pains I was quoted for the new 6f55 supposedly "at cost" for 1799 warrantied from the local stealership that loves to lie. I can get the 6t80 for 1299. Still could get an adapter made and a ever so slightly improved trans for less than the cost of the new trans Ford quoted me at..

bpd1151

Quote from: Cole.C on July 23, 2018, 09:16:28 AMFound these 6t80 trans at a decent price it says it's final gear drive is 3:16 which is the same as the 6f55 used in the police interceptor sedans which is what I'd be doing the swap in.

PI sedans have the 3.39 axle.

PI utilities have the 3.65 axle.

You listed they have the 3.16

Just FYI.

Cole.C

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 23, 2018, 08:07:23 PM
Quote from: Cole.C on July 23, 2018, 09:16:28 AMFound these 6t80 trans at a decent price it says it's final gear drive is 3:16 which is the same as the 6f55 used in the police interceptor sedans which is what I'd be doing the swap in.

PI sedans have the 3.39 axle.

PI utilities have the 3.65 axle.

You listed they have the 3.16

Just FYI.
My bad! I must of gotten my info from a bad source. Pdf I downloaded with various police Dept. Vehicles showed 3:16 shows the 3:39 in the 3.7l?