• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

transmission and PTU

Started by Txstrmhntr, April 04, 2015, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txstrmhntr

Looking at part numbers and various things ive discovered the GM 6T75 and the ford 6F55 are almost the same transmission codeveloped by GM/FORD. So.... the question, since the 6T80(mildly upgraded 6T75) and haldex PTU in the XTS-Vsport  are rated by GM to take more HP/TQ than the ford setup, could we use the GM parts (IDK if it will just bolt in) but looking at tranny internals and what not it seems we could at minimum rebuild the 6F55 with 6T80 internals without issue. And if the PTU is better maybe it would be close to a direct swap or mild machining involved to use it.

Not that we really need it as noone has really broken the system yet, but some of us are aiming for higher and higher hp/tq eventually we will see the threshold limit on these components and something even slightly more robust may be of value.
OLD
2013 Taurus SHO with PP, LET Tuned, ATP+2 Turbos ,PPE Hotpipes, PPE off road DP's,  Alky control methanol injection
NEW-- 2016 Kona Blue Fiesta ST, Stock(not for long)

BiGMaC

Quote from: Txstrmhntr on April 04, 2015, 05:42:37 PM
Looking at part numbers and various things ive discovered the GM 6T75 and the ford 6F55 are almost the same transmission codeveloped by GM/FORD. So.... the question, since the 6T80(mildly upgraded 6T75) and haldex PTU in the XTS-Vsport  are rated by GM to take more HP/TQ than the ford setup, could we use the GM parts (IDK if it will just bolt in) but looking at tranny internals and what not it seems we could at minimum rebuild the 6F55 with 6T80 internals without issue. And if the PTU is better maybe it would be close to a direct swap or mild machining involved to use it.

Not that we really need it as noone has really broken the system yet, but some of us are aiming for higher and higher hp/tq eventually we will see the threshold limit on these components and something even slightly more robust may be of value.

Definitely worth looking into... I have spoken with Dan Millen and he feels that about 450WHP is the limit for avoiding excessive chances of tranny/PTU premature failure... Although Mike has been above 500WHP for some time w/o problems so far.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 04, 2015, 05:57:21 PM

Definitely worth looking into... I have spoken with Dan Millen and he feels that about 450WHP is the limit for avoiding excessive chances of tranny/PTU premature failure... Although Mike has been above 500WHP for some time w/o problems so far.
So 600 at the crank......

I feel like that will get me as far as I want to go with this car.

Of course that is subject to change but since this will most likely end up being High Command's car when I move into the next gen, there's only so far I'm willing to go.

That being said, I would like to get to the 11 sec club before it's all said and done...

Great idea from TXSTRM though.

Anybody modifying the GM tranny in the aftermarket world?

Txstrmhntr

Ok ive looked a little deeper from what ive found now the GM tran and Ford Trans are 100% identical down to the case molding, only difference is FoMoCo uses there own solenoids, and the final gear ratios are different than the GM cars, but its 100% mechanically the same. in other words you could bolt a 6T80 Gm trans straight up to a 3.5L ecoboost and only thing youd have to change are the shift solenoids.

OLD
2013 Taurus SHO with PP, LET Tuned, ATP+2 Turbos ,PPE Hotpipes, PPE off road DP's,  Alky control methanol injection

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 04, 2015, 09:38:06 PM

Of course that is subject to change but since this will most likely end up being High Command's car when I move into the next gen, there's only so far I'm willing to go.

That being said, I would like to get to the 11 sec club before it's all said and done...

Why not have a DD tune and a hotter race tune to get that 11.xx sec time! 

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 04, 2015, 10:04:54 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 04, 2015, 09:38:06 PM

Why not have a DD tune and a hotter race tune to get that 11.xx sec time!
So what you are implying here is one tune for me, another for High Command.

Methinks she might find that offensive, LOL...

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

Interesting find.  See the Quattro system also on the sidebar.  Looks like a space station or satellite coming together :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

markssho

Great info and interesting read! Thanks
2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC

AJP turbo

Been a few months since I read it but certain GM versions of this tranny have an even more aggressive final drive. I'm thinking like 3.27 or something....I was thinking it would be a fairly easy swap and just a matter of changing the part and tune adjustments for gearing....Easy if you do tranny work but bolt in nonetheless.....I'd like to know for sure though
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOnUup

There's a couple long discussions going on about this on "ecoboosted" Facebook page.

Rich

13-SHO

I work with one of the engineers who was on the Ford/GM team. They are basically identical but as mentioned. Programming and ratios are different. They are strong transmissions. He did share one little tidbit I found interesting. The HD versions had to add more exterior ribbing on the transmission housing reinforce it. Apparently the case "grows" quite a bit under load due to the hydraulic pressure and load.
2013 SHO No mods... yet
2004 Grand Prix GTP Compg - Too many mods to list impossible for me to launch. I still miss her....

Txstrmhntr

Quote from: 13-SHO on April 08, 2015, 10:12:25 AM
I work with one of the engineers who was on the Ford/GM team. They are basically identical but as mentioned. Programming and ratios are different. They are strong transmissions. He did share one little tidbit I found interesting. The HD versions had to add more exterior ribbing on the transmission housing reinforce it. Apparently the case "grows" quite a bit under load due to the hydraulic pressure and load.

lol ask him if the new GM trans is stronger than the 6f55
OLD

13-SHO

Quote from: Txstrmhntr on April 08, 2015, 10:38:54 AM
Quote from: 13-SHO on April 08, 2015, 10:12:25 AM

You won't like his answer lol. He works for GM so he might be biased

lol ask him if the new GM trans is stronger than the 6f55
2013 SHO No mods... yet
2004 Grand Prix GTP Compg - Too many mods to list impossible for me to launch. I still miss her....