• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E-85 Blend Tune?

Started by GhostRider8, March 27, 2015, 10:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostRider8

Forgive me if this has been covered already, I searched E-85 threads and didn't see any answers. I noticed some SHO members are running 20% E-85 blend. Does this require a Custom tune, or can/do you use a meth tune? Correct me if I'm wrong from what I have read it seems Meth and E-85 produce same results which is the ability to advance timing due to increased octane. I am thinking of trying a 20% E-85, I have no mods other than 5 Star Tuning (93 Performance tune). Im assuming I won't see any gains unless Im running a custom tune to advance the timing to take advantage for high octane?

Sorry for newbie questions this is my first forced induction vehicle. 
2013 F-150 Ecoboost Screw 4x4, 5 Star 93 performance tune, Passport 9500, AntiLaser Priority Quad.

SHOnUup

Meth also helps clean your intake valves and has a better power influence than the E/85. No tune needed to run some corn, but datalogging could take advantage of the extra octane. Just know that if you datalog with corn, it's a must to run that tune with said amount of e/85.

I run 1.25 gallons of E/85 to every 13 gallons of 93 (10% E/85)...if the corn is 75% E it's a 15.5% total...if it's the full 85% I'm just over 16% total. Helps battle the winter fuel.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

GhostRider8

Rich, 
    Thank You for the information. Excuse the ignorance when you say data log with the corn mixture, your meaning to see if I can add timing, or just to make sure Im running safe air/fuel ratio?
  Also the winter fuel you referenced is this a nationwide concern or just your location specifically? Are you only using the ethanol to offset lower octane during winter or as a power adder? 
2013 F-150 Ecoboost Screw 4x4, 5 Star 93 performance tune, Passport 9500, AntiLaser Priority Quad.

SHOnUup

Datalogging with corn could be done for all of the mentioned, but if adding power based on the higher octane it would then require corn all the time.

The winter fuel is sort of regional. Not an expert, but from what I've read most places use it. Maybe some far south exceptions.

I used it initially as something to fight off the winter blend, but am looking forward to a small mixture with summer fuel to see what it does.

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

GhostRider8

Thank you for info. I will probably just stick with my 93 tune for now then later in the year I plan to start a mid 12sec f150 build then I will take another look after turbo upgrade.

SHOnUup

Quote from: GhostRider8 on March 27, 2015, 12:23:38 PM
Thank you for info. I will probably just stick with my 93 tune for now then later in the year I plan to start a mid 12sec f150 build then I will take another look after turbo upgrade.
No problem.

Do you happen to monitor your truck through gauges or a scantool. Pretty affordable and simple mods to track the vehicles performance in real time everyday driving.

Rich

FoMoCoSHO

Adding e-85 was good for 4/10ths on the stock tune

FoMoCoSHO

E-85 has massive effective octane when directly injected which is good cause it doesn't take much the impact fuel pressure.

SHOnUup

FoMoCoSHO is very well versed in the "corn" field. Ha...that's sort of funny.

Rich

SHOdded

He's comin' to getcha ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

GhostRider8

I actually did put 5 gallons of e-85 in with 27 gallons of 93 octane. I calculated that to be just shy of 20%. I did data log the ride home but didn't really get a chance to go WOT I got maybe 75% at one point but there was heavy traffic. I haven't looked at data log yet alot of the information is Greek to me. I monitored AFR at WOT (after data log stopped) I was between 10 and 11 on bank 1.

GhostRider8

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 27, 2015, 03:45:28 PM
Adding e-85 was good for 4/10ths on the stock tune

What was the mixture of your e-85?

FoMoCoSHO

I honestly dont remember, I've had anywhere from 15-60 %. I was probably 20-30 and I believe the sweet spot of octane to fuel headroom is about 15%. Direct injection is like steroids for E-85 or meth.

GhostRider8

Awesome good to know. Most of the tracks around here have just opened up for the season, I plan to get there soon to do some testing. I will see what results I have with and without the ethonol blend.

SHOdded

Are you using canned tunes or custom tunes?  Datalogging your track runs can help dial in performance.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!