• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbo Replacement

Started by dash90, April 03, 2015, 05:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dash90

Okay guys so I had my car at the shop recently and they told me it looks like one of my turbos is starting to seep but not severe. I wanna be proactive with what I'll need to do. I've read a few things but figured I'd still make a post. Do I need to replace, rebuild, from who, where, and typically how much?

ZSHO

If you dont have warranty the best place would be right here at EPP,and you can speak or email Mike B and he usually responds very quickly for any questions you may have pertaining to upgrading to larger turbos or just needing a new one or rebuilt,might be a core charge though,check out E.P.P site to get an idea,good luck and keep us updated.Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

navbtcret

I have seen several used take out turbos on eBay for a good price.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

J-Will

Quote from: ZSHO on April 03, 2015, 06:59:16 PM
If you dont have warranty the best place would be right here at EPP,and you can speak or email Mike B and he usually responds very quickly for any questions you may have pertaining to upgrading to larger turbos or just needing a new one or rebuilt,might be a core charge though,check out E.P.P site to get an idea,good luck and keep us updated.Z

I agree, this would seem like the best course of action.  If you're replacing anyway, may as well go with an upgrade.  The cost cant be too much more, and the work to swap is identical.  If you are tuned, I'd speak with your tuner before the purchase- would running 2 differently configured turbos impact your tune; if so, can they accommodate it?
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

dash90

Quote from: ZSHO on April 03, 2015, 06:59:16 PM

Whats a general round about on the price of an upgrade

J-Will

3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

dash90

ElvenSho

Quote from: dash90 on April 04, 2015, 11:54:19 AM
Quote from: J-Will on April 04, 2015, 11:32:30 AM
I think this is for both:
http://www.ecopowerparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=20&zenid=d149a3c7f55d63984c447fc8400376f9

Oh man, those are pricey and powerful. I would be hesitant to put those on with out modifying the engine much more.
Its all about how much air you push through them. This is your best option if you plan to keep the car for a while.
2011 Red Taurus SHO- H&R springs, plugs, t-stat, 3bar, LMS dps, tuned by Torrie

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: dash90 on April 04, 2015, 11:54:19 AM
Quote from: J-Will on April 04, 2015, 11:32:30 AM
I think this is for both:
http://www.ecopowerparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=20&zenid=d149a3c7f55d63984c447fc8400376f9

Oh man, those are pricey and powerful. I would be hesitant to put those on with out modifying the engine much more.
You don't need to modify the engine, you can keep everything in check with the tune then you will have plenty of turbo headroom goodness as cash/mods allow.

pjw315

You can buy the stock turbos brand new for about $415 each.

J-Will

Quote from: pjw315 on April 06, 2015, 07:58:44 AM
You can buy the stock turbos brand new for about $415 each.

Really?  Thats cheaper than core charges for the upgrades
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

SHOdded

That core charge is probably dictated by ATP.  Need them to revise, based on new parts pricing?  May even cut down price of upgraded parts, who knows.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pjw315

Quote from: SHOdded on April 06, 2015, 08:36:18 AM
That core charge is probably dictated by ATP.  Need them to revise, based on new parts pricing?  May even cut down price of upgraded parts, who knows.

http://www.oemfordpart.com/auto-parts/2014/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/engine-cat/turbocharger-and-components-scat

14SHOCAR

Yeah the ATP turbo upgrade is about $2,400 but they say they are good to support up to 200+HP. Obviously you're not going to do anything crazy like that until you get new head bolts, and redo the engine components a bit.

If you need to get new turbos, I'd say go OEM. Any rebuild is going to still put you at risk for other issues down the road. I also know http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/ rebuilds turbos, but again, I am not sure how much time you can be without your vehicle.

My vote is with the $699 stock turbos you can find all over the interwebs.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

BMC10SEC50

Ford just replaced one of mine.
-2013 SHO PP with Unleashed 3 bar tune, CAI, plugs, thermostat, off road downpipes and Corsa exhaust. Best time to date is 12.26@112.47mph.
-1990 5.0 LX(original owner) 349 BOSS block, Twisted Wedge heads, Holley intake, Vortech Si trim. Made 636hp to the wheels with a street tune.