• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 Taurus SHO - Stunning Dyno Results Baseline + K&N

Started by 14SHOCAR, March 20, 2015, 04:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

Still, I want to see some track time testing where the enclosed setup may help out with the enclosed design helping keep heat entering at bay.

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOnUup on March 28, 2015, 11:21:12 AM
Still, I want to see some track time testing where the enclosed setup may help out with the enclosed design helping keep heat entering at bay.

Rich

There seems to be different variables factoring into that dyno testing, one being that the dyno test was done with the hood up. Every dyno test we've had done thus far at unbiased shops have shown a gain with the MDesign intake. Here are two dyno's specifically against the AirRaid/Windstorm:

On a relatively stock car MDesign had better IAT, spark and knock readings with similar power gains.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4326.msg67104/topicseen.html#msg67104

On a modded car (3BAR, downpipes, catback and tune) there was a 11whp and 17.1wtq gain.
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4034.msg63108.html#msg63108
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

SHOnUup

Not to be a negative Nancy, but the tests on the XSport carry little to no weight with most people because of the open hood, closed hood testing. On top of that the Airaid design for XSport just fails miserably at closing off heat from engine bay...which would be an instant non purchase point for me if I owned an XSport.

Not trying to attack your product, just sharing all info possible to keep the community up to date.

I'll let you and the gurus discuss the technicalities of it all.

I know of a few members I've talked with about wanting to track test it, just don't want to spend the $350 on a test project.

Please don't take it the wrong way, as I think I've probably shared and advertised your product more than anyone out there.

Rich

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOnUup on March 28, 2015, 11:52:36 AM
Not to be a negative Nancy, but the tests on the XSport carry little to no weight with most people because of the open hood, closed hood testing. On top of that the Airaid design for XSport just fails miserably at closing off heat from engine bay...which would be an instant non purchase point for me if I owned an XSport.

Not trying to attack your product, just sharing all info possible to keep the community up to date.

I know of a few members I've talked with about wanting to track test it, just don't want to spend the $350 on a test project.

Please don't take it the wrong way, as I think I've probably shared and advertised your product more than anyone out there.

Rich

Not taken in the wrong way at all! With the weather finally warming up I plan on many runs at the track, I'm eagerly waiting for April 11th actually!
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

SHOnUup

Quote from: MDesign on March 28, 2015, 11:59:54 AM
Quote from: SHOnUup on March 28, 2015, 11:52:36 AM

Rich

Not taken in the wrong way at all! With the weather finally warming up I plan on many runs at the track, I'm eagerly waiting for April 11th actually!
Me too!!! This dusting of snow I awoke to today is quite depressing though. Never seem to know when it'll end here in Michigan. Pretty sure 3 of our largest snow storms in history came in April too....ooh that's s scary though

Rich

ZSHO

I am also eagerly waiting for some warmer weather and track time,but as mentioned a while back had the opportunity to meet with Bigmoneycloser(BMG)and his X-SPORT,have to honestly say from first hand look at the MDesign intake,it sure looked like a quality piece though.Z.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOnUup

Quote from: ZSHO on March 28, 2015, 12:08:15 PM
I am also eagerly waiting for some warmer weather and track time,but as mentioned a while back had the opportunity to meet with Bigmoneycloser(BMG)and his X-SPORT,have to honestly say from first hand look at the MDesign intake,it sure looked like a quality piece though.Z.
Definitely looks like a winner. Just as the K&N showed power gains on the dyno, but loss the gains in real world track testing...I think the MDesign has a fighting chance at the track

I know my modded Windstorm takes on heavy heat soak after a few runs and sends me to the pits to let it cool off, and the brakes screaming no more.

Rich

SeriousFrank

Out of curiosity, has anyone done this with the cold air intake setup? I was thinking of getting that wheb I get a SHO.

BiGMaC

Quote from: SeriousFrank on March 29, 2015, 12:43:11 AM
Out of curiosity, has anyone done this with the cold air intake setup? I was thinking of getting that wheb I get a SHO.
I'm dense... Sorry... Done what?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

14SHOCAR

A couple of thoughts here guys (just for discussion):
1. I am very unbiased. I just am showing what I found on the dyno. Hood up / hood down will be something we will do next run.
2. There is a correction to that graphic with the K&N being sealed from the engine bay. I've confirmed it is NOT SEALED from the engine bay, but does a good job of separating the compartment compared to my other K&N setups I've had in the past.
3. The Mdesign results I am not super impressed. The filter on the K&N pass had SIGNIFICANT soot on it. My test was right from the K&N factory -- right out of the box. In the Mdesign video, the average peak HP was below 300 every run and a comparable amount of torque. I'm strongly thinking the soot has something to do with those numbers. With the new MDesign Intake, they measured 310 HP on their run, which was my lowest run even with the stock intake. Also my dyno pulls were in my top gear (6th). I think these runs in this test were run too quickly and not in the top gear to really judge what the output of the motor. The torque numbers were all over the place. You had a few 400's 380s and 330s... I'm very confused what's up with such a large number discrepancy. Just making observations.
4. With my friend's access port, I will be doing internal air temperature and air to fuel tests at the track. I will also take the external temperature of the engine v.s. the K&N intake v.s. the ABS plastic parts of the intake system. My "theory" is still that there isn't a difference in the temperature of the plastic vs metal components when the whole engine is hot.
5. I ordered the LMS Tuner + Thermastat + 3 bar + spark plugs this weekend. I'm totally STOKED to get these in and do another set of runs on the dyno! (I promise hood up and down this time) I gotta do "hood up" to actually do side by side comparisons with the first sets of runs.
6. After, are the cat back + downpipes. Ugh I cannot wait to get this all done! I do want to do it in steps to show the actual gains!

All Dyno Runs below:
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

MDesign Performance

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on March 29, 2015, 06:00:44 PM
With the new MDesign Intake, they measured 310 HP on their run, which was my lowest run even with the stock intake. Also my dyno pulls were in my top gear (6th).

You cannot compare vehicle A on dyno A to vehicle B on dyno B as there is a laundry list of discrepancy factors. If you were to go around town and dyno your vehicle you would get different numbers, dyno's are not consistent in that manner.

Some of these factors include:
Dyno models (Mustang dyno reads lower than dyno jet)
Gasoline quality/octane
Altitude
Vehicle
Ambient temp
Engine temp
etc.

14SHOCAR

Quote from: MDesign on March 29, 2015, 06:25:46 PM
Quote from: 14SHOCAR on March 29, 2015, 06:00:44 PM
With the new MDesign Intake, they measured 310 HP on their run, which was my lowest run even with the stock intake. Also my dyno pulls were in my top gear (6th).

You cannot compare vehicle A on dyno A to vehicle B on dyno B as there is a laundry list of discrepancy factors. If you were to go around town and dyno your vehicle you would get different numbers, dyno's are not consistent in that manner.

You're right. However, you missed the point. My filter was brand new. Your filter had a ton of soot, and it was just an observation.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

MDesign Performance

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on March 29, 2015, 09:01:34 PMYou're right. However, you missed the point. My filter was brand new. Your filter had a ton of soot, and it was just an observation.

Where are you reading the filter contained soot? People are reporting less soot on their tail pipes which means a cleaner running engine, I'm sorry I believe there might be some miscommunication on your end and you read something incorrectly?

SHOdded

I think he's saying the K&N filter used in the dyno results from your comparison was dirty, not clean.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!