• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Communication Fault Codes

Started by DJE624, June 24, 2013, 07:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJE624

When I first picked up my SHO a month ago, It showed a TPMS notification.  It somehow went away when I took delivery. (They probably cleared it when I had them check it out.  All the tire pressures were fine.  About two week later, a week after I tuned it, the notification came back.  I returned to stock and brought it in.  They said they recalibrated the TMPS sending units.  I guess they deal with this quite often.  I brought it home and re-installed the tune. (Livernois Stage 4) Well, a week later the dang thing came on again!  So, today I returned to stock and brought it in.  They came up with 21 communication codes.  I will list them at the bottom.  Anyway, I called Livernois and they assured me that their tunes could not have anything to do with it.  If it did I would be the first out of about 2000.  I trust Livernois and know my fellow members here do too.  Besides, the notification had come up before the tune was ever installed.  Now, the dealer wants me to go a week without the tune and see what happens.  I don't know if I can stand it being used to the performance.  Kinda like 4DR loosing his boost.  I was thinking that I would put the tune back in.  If the TMPS notification comes back I think I can clear it with my SCT, right?  Or, just pull the battery terminals.   Can I pull the battery cables with the tune on and still have it when I re-connect?

BTW, I never new Rick @ Livernois but I would say at this point Anthony must be starting to fill his shoes.  He was extremely pleasant to talk with and very patient with my concerns and gave me a lot of his time.  I think he was great! 

Here are the codes:

0100-20   4X4
0155-20   4X4
0452-20   ABS
0131-20   ABS
0151-20   ABS
0104-20   ABS
0100-20   ABS
0155-20   ABS
1280-20   ABS
0155:00-48 ACM or ALM Can't read the writing
0159:00-48  Ditto
0197:00-08  Ditto
0155-20  DSM
0155:00-08   DSP
197:00-08   DSP
0155:A0   LEM STR?
0155:00-08   HVAL?
0423:00-28   SOD L
0155:0028   SOD L
0155:00-28   SOD L

Sorry I can't read this guy's writing very well  All of the above codes started with a V or a U.

Do I need to be worried about my drive or my ABS.  Supposedly these are all communications codes and not anything serious. 

I'm thinking that I will pull both battery cables for ten minutes.(They must not have at the dealer beacause the radio and trip odometers were still were I left them.)  Anthony at Livernois says it is not necessary anymore but wouldn't hurt. And then re-install the tune.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

EcoBrick Bob

When I had fault codes with my G8 that weren't a part of my DashHawk coding system, I searched on line and found their meaning.  These codes don't look like any I have seen, nor is the format the same as any of my Ford fault codes. Wasn't the dealer able to figure out what these mean?

Dealers today can be good or bad.  My son-in-law was getting Advance Trac faults, and it took my research ( 10 min) on the internet to find his ultimate solution.  However, even though the dealer could continually replicate the code, due to my research, it took a week for Ford to agree to the fix, which solved his issue.  They are getting very prickish on expensive warranty claims.. In this case, the F-150 got a new steering box.

Son-in law was ready to spring for an Explorer Sport, but after Ford's attitude, I would guess they will again buy a Honda Pilot.  Sad but true, and the F-150 had been purchased with x-plan, via one of my Ford friends.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: DJE624 on June 24, 2013, 07:30:36 PM
When I first picked up my SHO a month ago, It showed a TPMS notification.  It somehow went away when I took delivery. (They probably cleared it when I had them check it out.  All the tire pressures were fine.  About two week later, a week after I tuned it, the notification came back.  I returned to stock and brought it in.  They said they recalibrated the TMPS sending units.  I guess they deal with this quite often.  I brought it home and re-installed the tune. (Livernois Stage 4) Well, a week later the dang thing came on again!  So, today I returned to stock and brought it in.  They came up with 18 communication codes.  I will list them at the bottom.  Anyway, I called Livernois and they assured me that their tunes could not have anything to do with it.  If it did I would be the first out of about 2000.  I trust Livernois and know my fellow members here do too.  Besides, the notification had come up before the tune was ever installed.  Now, the dealer wants me to go a week without the tune and see what happens.  I don't know if I can stand it being used to the performance.  Kinda like 4DR loosing his boost.  I was thinking that I would put the tune back in.  If the TMPS notification comes back I think I can clear it with my SCT, right?  Or, just pull the battery terminals.   Can I pull the battery cables with the tune on and still have it when I re-connect?

BTW, I never new Rick @ Livernois but I would say at this point Anthony must be starting to fill his shoes.  He was extremely pleasant to talk with and very patient with my concerns and gave me a lot of his time.  I think he was great! 

Here are the codes:

0100-20   4X4
0155-20   4X4
0452-20   ABS
0131-20   ABS
0151-20   ABS
0104-20   ABS
0100-20   ABS
0155-20   ABS
1280-20   ABS
0155:00-48 ACM or ALM Can't read the writing
0159:00-48  Ditto
0197:00-08  Ditto
0155-20  DSM
0155:00-08   DSP
197:00-08   DSP
0155:A0   LEM STR?
0155:00-08   HVAL?
0155:0028   SOD L
0155:00-28   SOD L

Sorry I can't read this guy's writing very well  All of the above codes started with a V or a U.

Do I need to be worried about my drive or my ABS.  Supposedly these are all communications codes and not anything serious. 

I'm thinking that I will pull both battery cables for ten minutes.(They must not have at the dealer beacause the radio and trip odometers were still were I left them.)  Anthony at Livernois says it is not necessary anymore but wouldn't hurt. And then re-install the tune.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight.
When I was working on my car we messed with the ground on the fuse box and my car spit so many codes, it went NUTS. Check your ground on your battery and on your actual fuse box to make sure they are nice and tight. That would be a nice and easy one, after that I have no idea. :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

Larrylu

I don't think I can give you insight but I can give you some company. I have had a recurring Tire Pressure code notification. It has come up repeatedly, randomly, and very streaky. I might have several in one day or go for a month with none. I can reset by hitting the reset button or by turning the car off and restarting. My tire pressures have all been carefully checked.  My rationale was that perhaps I had a sensor battery getting low (I'm told they have a 5 year life span) and since I'll be putting on a new set of tires at the end of the summer, I would just replace the sensor and/or replace all five sensor batteries (I have a spare in the trunk).  I never got the idea that the code was connected in an way to my Stage 4+ tune. I'm certainly interested in what you decide is going on with your car.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

DJE624

OK.  I googled all the codes and came up dry.  All the dealer/tech who pulled them could tell me was they are communication faults.  There is no central issue.  It is just an instance when a signal gets interrupted, I guess.  I think that sitting for a year and a half with only 200 miles might have something to do with the TPMS.  Batteries, cheap sensors etc.  Who knows if one of the tires went flat on one of them?  The jury is still out on my dealer Bob.  I'll have to see what the future brings.  I'm starting to think that Mike might have a point with the grounds.  When I disconnect the battery tomorrow, I'll make sure I snug them back up good, check the terminals, etc.  I'll check out the fuse box too. 

I am positive after talking with Anthony and hearing from you guys that the tune is not involved.  I could be wrong about that but, I doubt it.   I'm leaning towards Mike's grounding idea.  I'm pretty sure the TPMS is cheap/bad sensors or batteries per Larry's suggestion.  Anthony also mentioned I should put some good ones in.  I will when I rotate or get new tires.

So the plan is:  Disconnect battery for ten minutes.  Check ground on fuse box, reconnect battery, then re-install tune.  After a test ride, Ill try to read any codes.  It may take a week for any TPMS notification to show up.  If it does, Ill try to use the SCT to read and clear it.  We'll see what happens then.

EcoBrick Bob

Good Plan..

I have 3 sets of wheels for my Flex, and have TPMS in all 3.  It takes about 40 mi for the TPMS to throw a low tire warning with the Ford system.  Usually when I switch wheels I am in a hurry and don't re-set TPMS.  I have a re-set tool, and it has worked the first time every time I have re-set my TPMS.

I put both of my G8's on jack stands for about 6 mo each year.  I have never had any TPMS faults with them, but GM did have a recall on the system, which re-programmed them and made them throw a low tire warning at a higher pressure, which I find irritating.

Hopefully tomorrow I can look thru my 2010 Ford Flex Service Manuals and see if there is any info on these specific fault codes. They have come in very handy.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

DJE624

Thanks Bob! I'd be willing to bet that those comm faults (21) are a drop in the bucket compared to how many thousands of communications per second.  I'll be interested to see if you find anything. 

DJE624

This morning I did as planned.  I pulled everything off the battery terminals for about ten minutes.  Then I check the fuse box.  It seems that all the fuses and relays or what not were not bottomed out in their plugs.  I pushed them all in firmly.  Maybe 1/32-1/64 of give.  The ground was secure.  Then I re-installed my tune.  As I installed the tune, I just wanted to make note that the BLISS stayed lit as did the ambient lighting,  the ACC flashed and the info display flashed different faults as it finished programming.  I think this is normal.   I immediately checked for codes and the SCT did not pick any up.  Then I went for a little spin.  A couple of 0-60's and a stop at the gas station.  The TPMS is not acting up as of now.  I have to make a few calls this afternoon so it will be a good follow up test.  I'll check for codes again when I get back.  So far, so good!

EcoBrick Bob

You are accelerating so fast that you are working the fuses loose~ :biggrin:

mjhpadi

Glad that it appears fixed...I'm surprised that the fuses were not secure, although apparently you're not the first with that problem. Interesting..
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

EcoBrick Bob

I just attempted to post a lengthy explanation to all of these codes, after much research, but I guess I got timed out and all my info got lost. @#$%^&@#

To sum it up... These are all "Lost Communication" DTC's. To have that many relating to everything from Instrument Panel  Control Module, to Restraint Control Module, to PCM/ECM, is strange to say the least.

The solution for instance to #155, is to go thru a bunch of steps turning ignition on and off, and if everything seems OK, then you are supposed to check connectors for to make sure they aren't either loose or corroded.

If this vehicle is new to you, I would check where it came from.  I would also check several of the fuses to make sure their terminals aren't corroded.  Hopefully you fixed your own problem by pushing them in tighter.

DJE624

Thanks Mark and Bob.  It was a brand new car when I bought it. 200 miles in a year and a half.  So, it sat a lot!  The fuses and little black boxes (relays?) were not out too far. Probably 1/64.  Just enough for me to feel them bottom out when I pushed them.  There could have been a little corrosion from sitting.  I know the backs of the wheels were a mess from sitting.  I had taken them off and cleaned their backsides good.  Anyway, I think just pushing them a little would make them have better contact.  I just did about 25 miles with a few stops and everything is going well.  No TPMS note.  I just got back and since everything was fine, I didn't think to check again for codes.  I would bet that "shaking up" the fuse panel did some good.  Those notes could have been from weak signals too.  Even the TPMS might have had a weakness on the car side since the wheel units were just re-calibrated.  I will pull a few fuses and check them and any connections I can find next time I out in the garage.  Right now I am optimistic but like I said before, it took a week for the TPMS to come on.  If it continues running well and I have to delete a TPMS code every week or so untill I get new units, that's okay.  I don't know if the SCT will pick up comm codes but I may find out. 

vernonator

I agree with EB...if you are still under new car warranty MAKE them replace the sensors, or find a dealer that will.
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

DJE624

I'll press it when I go for my 5K oil and rotate.  Too much trouble to go in again right now.