• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

TSB for 2010-2012 SHO PTU

Started by fastforever, March 19, 2015, 07:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastforever

I am having problems with the PTU lube thickening in my 2012 SHO PP. FYI there is a TSB now for this condition that has been kept quiet, # ASI-44333, NHTSA# 10054961.
Good luck everyone. I'll see Monday how much of a problem I'll have with mods being made, but returned to stock for the dealer visit.
LMS catted dps, 3rd cat/muffler delete, 50/50 meth kit and Torrie tuned = 12.44 at 111+mph at PBIR, south FL.

SHOnUup

To think I removed the sludged up fluid already too. Thanks for the share.

Let us know how the dealer visit goes.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

glock-coma

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Date Announced:
DECEMBER 01 2013

Additional Info:
How to Fix

Summary: FORD: DUE TO EXCESSIVE LUBE LOSS FROM PTU, OR INTERNAL PTU FAILURE, SOME TRUCKS, WILL EXPERIENCE CONTAMINATION OR SLUDGING OF PTU LUBE, RESULTING IN AN INCREASED INTERNAL LUBE TEMPERATURE. MODEL 2011-2014 EXPLORER, TAURUS SHO.

Flex & MKS immune?  Good luck at the dealer's!

Jason posted more info about this bulletin here:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3388.msg50975.html
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

fastforever

I'll be sure to let everyone know how I make out.
LMS catted dps, 3rd cat/muffler delete, 50/50 meth kit and Torrie tuned = 12.44 at 111+mph at PBIR, south FL.

alpine_jake

and to think a month ago i sucked that fluid out with my mouth....
2010 Non-pp pearl white, Torrie tuned, 3Bar, Dyno Max mufflers and polished 4"tips, 170 Thermo, slotted and drilled black rotors, ceramic pads, silver calipers, tinted tails, .030 NGK

SHOdded

Quote from: alpine_jake on March 20, 2015, 03:43:46 AM
and to think a month ago i sucked that fluid out with my mouth....
Ewww??? LOL
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

alpine_jake

Fluid transfer pump wasn't strong enough. Had bit the bullet. " spit " anyone curious how it taste?
2010 Non-pp pearl white, Torrie tuned, 3Bar, Dyno Max mufflers and polished 4"tips, 170 Thermo, slotted and drilled black rotors, ceramic pads, silver calipers, tinted tails, .030 NGK

SHOdded

SHOnUup

Quote from: alpine_jake on March 20, 2015, 04:15:09 AM
Fluid transfer pump wasn't strong enough. Had bit the bullet. " spit " anyone curious how it taste?
I can only imagine with how bad it smelled. It literally made my garage smell for a whole week.

I'd invest in one of those life alert things if I were you...lol ;)

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

fastforever

Hey Folks
Ford is replacing my PTU under warranty, they say once the fluid thickens like whipped cream the unit is done!!  I have it on the sly to change fluid every 10,000 miles MAX. Depending on the use/abuse you give it.  You can use a vacuum pump available for commercial use on the internet for about $100 and it has enough suction to remove the oil as long as it is still oil! We use one in our shop all the time.
As a bonus, my steering rack has been replaced today, new leather seat cover being replaced, interior door handles on recall and minor rust spot in truck being fixed, all under warranty. Complete with a rental at N/C.  I guess I'll see my SHO in a couple weeks.

UH, alpine_jack, you have industrial mouth wash?  That stuff is nasty!

BiGMaC

fast... thanks for the PTU oil change info! 

Anyone know how big the vent is where the tubing has to go to extract the oil?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Quote from: fastforever on March 24, 2015, 10:39:58 PM
Ford is replacing my PTU under warranty, they say once the fluid thickens like whipped cream the unit is done!!
Good deal!

bamsho

Awesome to here that your getting a lot replaced under warranty.  Sounds like FORD is finally seeing the light about the fluid in the PTU's.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

fastforever

Hey there BIG
There is an access plug on pass side,behind wheel and two feet in, it is about 3/4" hole.  My shop uses a Mity VAC evacuation pump that holds about a gallon of fluid. It has plenty of suction with about 3ft each of multiple size tubing. You can purchase on EBAY or online tool companies for $90. We use on diesel oil, 50 weight oil 80/90 and 75/140 synthetic gear oils in commercial trucks where rear end drain plugs may be damaged and we just pump it out from fill plug. Works great, even use it for fuels.