• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

1-2 shudder at WOT

Started by donky4444, March 16, 2015, 07:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosscav

Don, it's all about the pressure in the 1-2 shift. Quite a few guys are developing that anomaly now. Not a problem, just an inconvenience. I'm glad Anthony and Dan were able to help you.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, White Platinum Tri-coat Metallic, 402B options package, 20" Nickel Aluminum wheels, purchased 6/26/2014 with only 17k miles. Previous owner: Little old woman who bought it for the heated leather seats...

SHOdded

Bosscav, didn't you say the pressure was dropped from 250 to 200 by LME?  So, wasinger, I hope that 25% cut makes the cut for you.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

How much is the stock pressure?  Don, did LME set your 1-2 shift pressure to the stock setting or something higher? 

AJP turbo

Quote from: Brucelinc on March 21, 2015, 09:29:37 AM
How much is the stock pressure?  Don, did LME set your 1-2 shift pressure to the stock setting or something higher?

Stock is about 150-175 I'll look when I get home I can't remember exactly...it doesn't take  a lot to make a noticeable difference...the pressure smoothly increases with the amount of torque commanded and with rpm...so at wot and at 6500 rpm in the table is where the values are highest.

And all the tables for each gear is different...the 2-3 part throttle pressures are way higher than the other gears at part throttle..not sure why ford did that so I lowered mine to what the other gears are and it shifts smoothly after a reflash so the adaptive doesn't have much to learn...also it seems that the higher gears can tolerate more pressure at wot than the 1-2 shift...don't ask me why
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

wasinger3000

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 21, 2015, 09:42:32 AM

Stock is about 150-175 I'll look when I get home I can't remember exactly...it doesn't take  a lot to make a noticeable difference...the pressure smoothly increases with the amount of torque commanded and with rpm...so at wot and at 6500 rpm in the table is where the values are highest.

And all the tables for each gear is different...the 2-3 part throttle pressures are way higher than the other gears at part throttle..not sure why ford did that so I lowered mine to what the other gears are and it shifts smoothly after a reflash so the adaptive doesn't have much to learn...also it seems that the higher gears can tolerate more pressure at wot than the 1-2 shift...don't ask me why
I wish I know what it was at now and what the number actually represents. Is it 200 psi? Or just some kind of reresentarive number... I used my x4 to lower it by 25% of what I don't know... it's better still but for some reason after 4 or 5 wot runs the car goes back to the shudder shift. Like it enjoys being stupid...

I asked Torrie to change the shift pressure last night at 2am and I woke up to a new tune haha. Love that service!

So I'll see how it does now.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

AJP turbo

Yeah pretty sure it's psi...I'll look at the units when I get home....wasinger I hate the global modifiers that u can do on the device..I'm not really sure how they are applied to the tune..personally I prefer to change the values in the actual tables but u would need the software and the tune in mtf format which most tuners won't give u anyway..so in ur case ur doing what u can...it's really not cost effective to have the software and pay a tuner for the mtf,assuming he will even give it to u, unless u enjoy tinkering and learning to tune...much cheaper to just buy a tune from lms or torrie

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

BiGMaC

Quote from: wasinger3000 on March 21, 2015, 10:06:09 AM

I wish I know what it was at now and what the number actually represents. Is it 200 psi? Or just some kind of reresentarive number... I used my x4 to lower it by 25% of what I don't know... it's better still but for some reason after 4 or 5 wot runs the car goes back to the shudder shift. Like it enjoys being stupid...

I asked Torrie to change the shift pressure last night at 2am and I woke up to a new tune haha. Love that service!

Hope this tune works to stop your problem...
The problem ajp points out is also complicated by the learning nature of the ECU and other modules... likely why your stutter got better and then the  problem recurred... because the car found a way around your changes to accommodate a parameter left unchanged in the complete tune (i.e. that was not changed with the "global" changes you made). 

Ultimately, it appears to me that those kind of changes are designed to let you try something out... and then have your professional tuner make the changes so they "stick".

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FoMoCoSHO

As tempting as it is, messing with the global modifiers just seemed like a bad idea, LOL....

Torrie needs an e-tip jar.

Seriously, the level of service he provides just make me want to give him money.

SHOdded

No e-tips, just fiery drinks ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

donky4444

I didn't ask what the pressure was at, just that the shudder goes away and they got it. It's better than stock for sure though. I got my smile back after 3 days of driving around stock.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

AJP turbo

Quote from: donky4444 on March 21, 2015, 12:18:49 PM

I didn't ask what the pressure was at, just that the shudder goes away and they got it. It's better than stock for sure though. I got my smile back after 3 days of driving around stock.

They may not tell you even if u ask...proprietary lol....kinda like they did in the other thread when someone asked what their fan temp was and lms replied with "pretty close to that" or something along the lines of vague lol.....or they may just tell you just to spite me lol

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

wasinger3000

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 21, 2015, 10:13:26 AM
Yeah pretty sure it's psi...I'll look at the units when I get home....wasinger I hate the global modifiers that u can do on the device..I'm not really sure how they are applied to the tune..personally I prefer to change the values in the actual tables but u would need the software and the tune in mtf format which most tuners won't give u anyway..so in ur case ur doing what u can...it's really not cost effective to have the software and pay a tuner for the mtf,assuming he will even give it to u, unless u enjoy tinkering and learning to tune...much cheaper to just buy a tune from lms or torrie
Hopefully Torrie can get mine to stick then. I just did what I could to save Torrie from the extra work.

Since the first few shifts after the reflash are perfect it's just a matter of finding out what that sweet spot is.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

wasinger3000

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 21, 2015, 11:03:27 AM
Quote from: wasinger3000 on March 21, 2015, 10:06:09 AM

Hope this tune works to stop your problem...
The problem ajp points out is also complicated by the learning nature of the ECU and other modules... likely why your stutter got better and then the  problem recurred... because the car found a way around your changes to accommodate a parameter left unchanged in the complete tune (i.e. that was not changed with the "global" changes you made). 

Ultimately, it appears to me that those kind of changes are designed to let you try something out... and then have your professional tuner make the changes so they "stick".

It feels just like that. The car finds a way to revert back to the way it wants to operate. Which is great for somethings... just not this.
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 21, 2015, 11:18:29 AM
As tempting as it is, messing with the global modifiers just seemed like a bad idea, LOL....

Torrie needs an e-tip jar.

Seriously, the level of service he provides just make me want to give him money.
Hah. I've offered to pay him more money for all the work but he won't accept it.  :/

Brucelinc

This shudder anomaly seems sporadic and inconsistent.   When I first got LME's 4X tune last year, the 1-2 shift was pretty gnarly but after some miles and the adaptive learning process, it smoothed out.  Recently, it reared it's ugly head again - but not all the time.   I am not sure what causes the inconsistency - unless it is related to long periods of gentle driving (as we might have in winter weather) followed by some very aggressive WOT runs when the weather clears. 

In any case, I had LME adjust the pressure down and it is now very smooth.  I will have to see how it does over a longer period of time. 

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Brucelinc on March 21, 2015, 01:02:37 PM
This shudder anomaly seems sporadic and inconsistent.   When I first got LME's 4X tune last year, the 1-2 shift was pretty gnarly but after some miles and the adaptive learning process, it smoothed out.  Recently, it reared it's ugly head again - but not all the time.   I am not sure what causes the inconsistency - unless it is related to long periods of gentle driving (as we might have in winter weather) followed by some very aggressive WOT runs when the weather clears. 

In any case, I had LME adjust the pressure down and it is now very smooth.  I will have to see how it does over a longer period of time.

Did this resolve your issue? I have the EXACT same problem with the 4X tune... no other tune does this.. I have also received a bit of push back from LMS stating that there are 100's of cars running the 4+x without an issue. I emailed LMS again, asking them to dial back the shift pressure as it seems to have resolved this problem for other users. Still waiting on a response...

I have a hard time with it being sporadic... you sit in the pit waiting awhile for your run, just for this little hiccup to hit while going down the track...