• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil Analysis Reports

Started by SHOdded, March 04, 2015, 05:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

Not one for stretching OCI. 8500 miles? Nope. 3500 and no more for me. $30 bucks. But I can understand people that drive a lot of miles for 3500 to be unreasonable.

mjhpadi

Blackstone Labs told me I was wasting money changing my Royal Purple at 3K intervals after they tested my used oil, so now I go to 4500 miles between changes.  Having Blackstone test my used oil was well worth the 25 bucks it cost.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

6500rpm

I look at the reports more like a watchdog than a reason to stretch my intervals. I average 15-18k miles a year and typically try to change oil every 5-6k miles. It's good to be able to look at data once or twice a year and quantify things like fuel dilution, solids, and water in the system to use as indicators to see if antifreeze or excessive fuel  is starting to enter the system. Also how well the filters are functioning to keep the abrasives at bay.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

Sbouvia

Latest oil analysis for SHO attached. Mostly city driving but a few long trips. Also attached is latest Jeep one so you can see that Blackstone is helpful when issues arise. Jeep seems to have a head gasket or worse going on. Jane the Jeep is going to go under the knife soon for lots of old part changes.
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.
1991 F Super Duty 2.5 ton dump truck w/ 7.3IDI

SHOdded

Yeah the Amsoil is done for.  U use the Amsoil filter?  City driving dumps fuel into the oil, but watch for a trend - injector.

On the jeep:  same oil- castrol hm - the entire time?  Very little antiwear additive.  Seems to be a coolant leak 4 sure.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Sbouvia

Yea I have been using the amsoil filter. I may go back to motorcraft soon. My amsoil guy here keeps filters on hand for me essentially as his other clients don't use that filter. I'll keep look out for fuel in oil, at least injectors look easy to swap on this motor.  Unfortunately there will be quite a bit of city driving until jeep is fixed, we put some mileage on the car. F Super Duty doesn't fit so well in Old Town Alexandria.

Yea I have been using the the castrol hm for a while now on the Jeep. I started using it after I noticed issues with the possible coolant. I tried Mobil 1 at one time in Jeep but that was only for a 3,000 mile oil change.

Straight up amsoil in everything now besides Jeep differentials and transfer case.
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.
1991 F Super Duty 2.5 ton dump truck w/ 7.3IDI

802SHO

Just in.  The Blackstone Laboratories test results of my RDU fluid.  Sample was before my last track outing of the season in October 2019.  Its a low mileage sample of almost 2000 miles of "severe duty".  I will use this test result as my baseline moving forward. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SHOdded

This the first time you used LWSP?  I would not use as a baseline if so, because that high detergency will clean off / out the gunk clinging to the gears and the inside of the case.  Hopefully the next test will show significantly improved numbers.

If it is not the first change, then there might be something to look into.  If you are up to it, take the diff cover off and take a good look inside.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

802SHO

Quote from: SHOdded on February 01, 2020, 08:16:32 AM
This the first time you used LWSP?  I would not use as a baseline if so, because that high detergency will clean off / out the gunk clinging to the gears and the inside of the case.  Hopefully the next test will show significantly improved numbers.

If it is not the first change, then there might be something to look into.  If you are up to it, take the diff cover off and take a good look inside.

Interesting.  In the last 5k miles (Since April 2018) I have changed the fluid 3 times.  Before that I don't know if it was ever changed before.  Mileage was about 69k when I changed it the first time.  I used Royal Purple 75w90. 

Changed again in 3k for the first time with RLWSP.  Then drove about 2k more, changed again.  This sample is what came out after that low mileage duration first using RLWSP.  I think the next test will be perhaps a better baseline. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.

SHOdded

802SHO

PTU results of same interval ..about 2k miles and same fluid, Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil.  Glad I changed it out.  I'll be tapping the PTU to add a drain plug, so I can do a proper flush and rule out left over wear-in from contaminating the rest results.  Confident to see better results next time.

SHOdded

Did you happen to take pics of the Redline after sampling, and if so, after letting it sit a few hours or more?

This is a comparison of virgin to used product (PTU) 6 months/5K later from my 2007 Edge.  There was some slurry at the bottom of the used fluid.  IDK if the labs shake up the samples before analysis, I assume they do.

802SHO

Quote from: SHOdded on February 05, 2020, 10:24:05 AM
Did you happen to take pics of the Redline after sampling, and if so, after letting it sit a few hours or more?

This is a comparison of virgin to used product (PTU) 6 months/5K later from my 2007 Edge.  There was some slurry at the bottom of the used fluid.  IDK if the labs shake up the samples before analysis, I assume they do.

PTU fluid from sample.  Not bright green anymore that's for sure

802SHO

Blackstone Laboratories PTU Test Results.

SHOdded

Fingers crossed, next result will be much better.  How does it feel drivingwise tho.  With Severe Gear and LWSP in my Edge, I felt almost as if the AWD were absent, in a good way.  Climbing hills at speed is effortless.