• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

BOOST LEAK!!!!!

Started by EcoPowerParts, June 23, 2013, 01:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoBrick Bob

Maybe you have tried this, but how about testing with soap suds like they do tires and gas lines etc.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

SoCalSHO

How about smoke in a can you use to test smoke detectors?
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

EcoPowerParts

It's only at about 16psi that I'm losing pressure, I need to pressurize the system to find the leak.
Boost Leak Testing 202: Hair Spray 1080HD
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

darreli

Are you sure it's an actual leak? I only say this because Dan had a heck of a time getting my car above 16 psi..the programming in the car just wouldn't let it happen..it took a long time to find and change the parameters

crash712us

Good point Darrell, forgot about that. And I know if I am coming from a stock tune back to tune again initially my boost is much higher, can see 18-20psi on a half throttle romp down the street. But this is only good for about 3 romps, before the ECM reins boost back in.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

EcoPowerParts

Well I'm going to go through the process now for peace of mind and if no leaks I'm going to go in my backyard and scream for five minutes as this whole last 3 months will be my ex tuners fault...

Sent from my phone with lots of misspelled words...

www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

EcoPowerParts

Ok can't got to the inlet of the back turbo without dropping the down pipe. I removed the rest of the hot side pipes and hair sprayed them. I'm going to see how much boost I have then if lower I will clear the ecu and try again. If I have higher boost then I'll be begging Shawn for a tune asap.

www.ecopowerparts.com -

mjhpadi

Good luck... hope you're leak free.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

EcoPowerParts

OK, 99.9% sure it's a boost leak.
I returned the car to stock and then retuned the car, I hit 21psi for a milisecond then nothing over 17psi.
I also went home and cleared the battery and I can no longer see over 17 psi in any gear.
Need to drop the car off and get the hot pipes fabricated and also get the new fuel pump assembly installed.
YAY more work! :)

Just in case I shot an email to livernois, I have a mycal, I asked them if they want to take a crack at tuning my car for the track. We'll see what they say.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

SHOdded

You think the seals in the turbos might not be holding?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FaSSt9602

Quote from: SHOdded on August 11, 2013, 10:55:00 PM

That wouldn't cause a boost leak.  It would cause an oil leak, most likely on the exhaust side.

On a side note,  is there a possibility the wastegate aren't holding shut?  If the car is creating too much back pressure and the combination of the springs and boost port (which I assume these must be using) can't overcome the BP,  it will blow the gates open and there goes your boost...  O0

Sent from my mobile gizmo

2010 EB Flex Limited Dark Ink Blue Metallic/White Suede two tone

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: FaSSt9602 on August 11, 2013, 11:15:05 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on August 11, 2013, 10:55:00 PM

That wouldn't cause a boost leak.  It would cause an oil leak, most likely on the exhaust side.

On a side note,  is there a possibility the wastegate aren't holding shut?  If the car is creating too much back pressure and the combination of the springs and boost port (which I assume these must be using) can't overcome the BP,  it will blow the gates open and there goes your boost...  O0

Sent from my mobile gizmo
No because I have videos of the car holding 23 psi with no problems

www.ecopowerparts.com -

GIGANTORE

I realize this is a bit old. But did anyone ever build a good pressure test kit for leak testing? I'm dying to pressure test my system. I make it a point to test my cars for boost leaks periodically. And I feel like it's not reall making the power that it could/should. In your case I would want to rule out a boost leak before doing anything else. It's a very easy way to rule out the more common issue in a turbo car. I've had a boost leak tester setup for every turbo car I've owned. The difference between leaks and no leaks is amazing. I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone build a tester.

Gray Brick

Did you find the leak?
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---