• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Issue with new LED bulbs

Started by Desoter_SHO, February 26, 2015, 05:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desoter_SHO

Howdy folks!

So I finally got off my butt and ordered up replacement LED units for the bulbs in my 2013 SHO, I ended up ordering most of my parts from SuperBrightLEDs.com as that seemed to be the preferred site over all. Also a huge thanks to b33615 for the "how to" guide on spray tinting, my tail light units turned out perfect.

So here is the issue I am having, also note that my load balance resisters shipped separate from my bulbs for some reason and will arrive this weekend.

I ordered 2 of these 3157-AW60-SA Amber White for the front turn/running lights.

What is odd is with the headlight switch in the off position the front turn signals work intermittently, but when they do work they blink at normal speed. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to when they will or will not work, but it effects both sides at the same time.

With the headlight switch in either the marker light or headlight position the blinkers always work but hyper blink, I assume the load resistors will take care of the hyper blink issue, but whats going on with the headlight switch in the off position is a head scratch-er.   

Another thing to note, when the turn signals are not working replacing the LEDs with to original 3457s the turn signals do not start working again right away, but once they do they work fine until I put the LEDs back in.....

I'm not getting any errors and my Livernos scanner is showing no codes in the ECU.

Thanks!

SHOdded

dalum has way more insight into this issue than I do, but I have read about this happening due to the BCM (body control module) not reacting well to the LEDs.  I would wait to install the LEDs until you have the resistors.  The BCM has been known to fry on occasion, so it's worth the wait.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Desoter_SHO

Thanks for the reply SHOdded.

The resistors actually came today and I have installed them, cured the hyper blink, but still intermittent functionality with the headlight switch in the off position. with a test light I have validated that the car is sending power down the line, the test lamp works but still the LEDs do not.

I'm at a loss, if it was 1 LED I'd assume a bad bulb but both quit working at the same time, and then start working at the same time.

Also the hazards work fine....

thoughts?

SHOdded

Did you check the voltages coming through?  On the Edge, the BCM will send voltage through sporadically even when the turn signals are off, so that might be an issue.  Also did you try reversing the bulb in the socket?  Normally if the bulb is polarity sensistive, it won't work at all, but being a switchback ...

More info in these threads here that may help:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2733
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,1730.0.html

Wiring diagrams:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,1730.msg22778.html#msg22778

This is a vLED setup for the turn signals:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Desoter_SHO

Thanks for the links SHOdded.

So far no luck, put a volt meter on and both hazards and turn signals are sending 12v down the line.

Hazards still work normal, but the turn signals only work 100% of the time if the headlight switch is in the marker light/headlight position.

Headlight switch off and the turn signals only work when the spirit moves them...... the research continues.

I am beginning to suspect somethings with these switch back LEDs though.

SHOdded

Well, Shoboat was/is using vLEDS 5000K 3157 Type 2 dual color switchback bulbs successfully.
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,373.0.html

For 2010-12, kolk laid out how he did his switchbacks:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,1526.0.html