• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid change

Started by anthonylee337, February 23, 2015, 10:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 07, 2015, 04:30:56 PM

Some of these Service guys are so freaking clueless, but they'll point out on a work order that you have a catback lol....I hate people...It's like we are robots and don't actually evaluate a problem because protocol says because you put a stereo in your ball joints are covered under warranty.
I feel like there is a huge difference between "technician" and "mechanic"

Airbornemaikai

Haha, yea i was like wtf? when i saw that. I usually take it to a different Ford dealership for service and theyve never noted "aftermarket exhaust". Ive on;ly started going to this particular one because its where I purchase my vehicles from and they finally built a new bigger improved service center there. Ive had many things done at this place though and they never noted "after market exhaust". I asked them to check my ptu and they told me its not serviceable but they would check for leaks. They originally told me that it had no leaks. If they hadn't messed up and replaced my gear selector lever with the wrong one they wouldnt of even had a 2nd look at my PTU
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 07, 2015, 04:36:22 PM
Quote from: ajpturbo on March 07, 2015, 04:30:56 PM

Some of these Service guys are so freaking clueless, but they'll point out on a work order that you have a catback lol....I hate people...It's like we are robots and don't actually evaluate a problem because protocol says because you put a stereo in your ball joints are covered under warranty.
I feel like there is a huge difference between "technician" and "mechanic"
Wholehearted agree... My experience is that if the OBD2 doesn't show it most of them are clueless... My son's MKS began randomly to refuse to turn over when he pushed the start button.  He went through 6 visits to 2 dealers... They even replaced his ECM under warranty.... Until a real mechanic was walking by when they were starting it.  He stopped and said it took too long and the starter was beginning to fail.  He hadn't even been working on the car... They checked and changed it-> fixed. I miss the real mechanics!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

markssho

Had a interesting conversation with Koons Ford here in the DC metro area.
They refuse to change the PTU fluid on any vehicle under warranty, or under an extended warranty. They say it opens them up to liabilities if it fails later, under warranty.
They also said Ford manual, as we all know, says you must drop the PTU, but this only must be done if contamination, such as flooding, is suspected. Which if so, voids the warranty due to suspected contamination, i.e. flooding, etc.
They say that owners should call Ford to request the service manual update so that they can service it.
I suppose I understand, especially in today's litigious environment. But, I did have them mark the customer request for fluid change on the service order, and I will during all future visits for service, to cover myself, ha.

Oh well..... ::)
2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC

bamsho

Hey Mark, I'd go back to them and tell them they are full of it.  There are FORD dealers changing PTU fluids without dropping them and still under warranty.  They just don't want to mess with it. 
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

peppelepugh

So i had my fluid changed yesterday at a "CarX" in WestChester, OH. Had PTU fluid and the RDU fluid changed. I'm at 58k on the button. The front actually looked really clean given its got 58k miles on it. The RDU.... wellll that was a different story. It looked like an oil change that went 5k wayyyy over. I'll post some pics up of the oil from it tomorrow!
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

AJP turbo

You absolutely do not have to drop the PTU. I followed the Ford procedure and for every model there is no need to do that. I wouldn't let that dealer vacuum my floor...
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Mark, was it this dealership you went to?  They do BG services, supposedly.
Sterling Ford, 46869 Harry Byrd Hwy, Sterling VA USA 20164

Maybe you could look these guys up instead:
Wiygul Automotive Clinic, 630 Grant St, Herndon, VA 20170
Their Reston unit might perform BG services also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Airbornemaikai

I'm curious to who else besides myself has had one replaced under warranty now? This just concerns me as I only have 34K on it and it had to be replaced once already. Seems like this is something well definitely need to keep an eye on and service regularly
2014 Explorer Sport
Airaid 401-260

bamsho

The couple of service managers I have talked to about Ford's Lifetime Fluid. They kinda gave me a look.  They don't believe in lifetime fluid. 
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

panther427

It's one of the most honest advertising things ever. Life time filled or filled for life How ever you wanna phrase it is completely true.  The fluid will last until the part fails 😈😱.  they just forgot to mention not changing the fluid is the cause of the part failure
2013 SHO

Airbornemaikai

It's shifting smoother than it ever has before, even when brand new and it was not tuned, that being said it just doesn't feel quite right. Doing some casual driving and some pulls here and there to try and get a proper feel, just seems like it has less power if that makes any sense? Idk maybe it's because I was so used to really feeling every shift point that now that it feels so smooth I'm just not noticing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport
Airaid 401-260

BiGMaC

Ny dealer refused to do it... because they did once and then the PTU failed... and Ford said it was their maintenance that caused the failure and stuck them with the bill.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Quote from: Airbornemaikai on March 08, 2015, 08:16:21 PM
just seems like it has less power if that makes any sense...
Blame it on the PCM/TCM relearn process.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MDesign Performance

Check the service record to see if they did any reprogramming as well.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance