• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Clean side oil seperator hose

Started by zamirlihari, February 22, 2015, 12:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 22, 2016, 08:00:53 AM
How would the blow off valves reintroduce vapors in the intake tract? Do you know what size K&N filters and vacuum plugs I need to do the VTA BOV on the SHO or Xsport?

Sorry for the unclear statement. It doesn't re-introduce crankcase vapors, but it can reintroduce oil already in the system.

I love this graphic.

The BOVs are on the cool side discharge piping (charge pipes), which run to the CAC. In the OE configuration, when the BOV is actuated, air pressure is released from the charge pipes back to the cool side ambient inlet piping (the same piping the clean side tube runs).

Any oil/vapors in the charged air go along for the ride back to the turbo inlet when the BOV opens. The VTA mod blows out into the air instead of back into the intake side.

The only sources of oil/water vapor in the intake (I think) is from the OE clean side tubing, blow by from the turbos, humidity in the ambient intake air, and/or filter oil from an over oiled filter (if in use). The OE BOV plumbing just helps the oil continue to circulate in the intake.

If you don't have a lot of turbo blow by, then resolving the cleanside tubing (and not over oiling a filter) should keep most new oil from being introduced. VTA breaks the cycle as well by not blowing back to the intake piping.  Somewhere on this forum there is a picture of someone who did the VTA mod that has oil drips on the BOV. I don't believe an OCC was in service.

When I installed my OCC, I cleaned all my charge/intake piping, and the BOVs are still bone dry approx 4200 miles later. Shortly after, I flushed my CAC.

Technically, a filter isn't necessary on the BOV since air doesn't flow back in, but it might help catch residual oil if you can't clean your plumbing.

Somebody was playing with filters to try and lessen the sound, I think, but I'm not sure the part numbers. I'll see if I can dig up the thread later today.

@derfdog15 is selling some extra charge pipe caps for VTA while supplies last.

Sorry for the long explanation. I know you probably grasp most or all of this, but lurking and reading these types of posts helped me learn when I was first starting out. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

ZSHO

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 22, 2016, 08:57:24 AM
Quote from: metroplex on December 22, 2016, 08:00:53 AM
How would the blow off valves reintroduce vapors in the intake tract? Do you know what size K&N filters and vacuum plugs I need to do the VTA BOV on the SHO or Xsport?

Sorry for the unclear statement. It doesn't re-introduce crankcase vapors, but it can reintroduce oil already in the system.

I love this graphic.

The BOVs are on the cool side discharge piping (charge pipes), which run to the CAC. In the OE configuration, when the BOV is actuated, air pressure is released from the charge pipes back to the cool side ambient inlet piping (the same piping the clean side tube runs).

Any oil/vapors in the charged air go along for the ride back to the turbo inlet when the BOV opens. The VTA mod blows out into the air instead of back into the intake side.

The only sources of oil/water vapor in the intake (I think) is from the OE clean side tubing, blow by from the turbos, humidity in the ambient intake air, and/or filter oil from an over oiled filter (if in use). The OE BOV plumbing just helps the oil continue to circulate in the intake.

If you don't have a lot of turbo blow by, then resolving the cleanside tubing (and not over oiling a filter) should keep most new oil from being introduced. VTA breaks the cycle as well by not blowing back to the intake piping.  Somewhere on this forum there is a picture of someone who did the VTA mod that has oil drips on the BOV. I don't believe an OCC was in service.

When I installed my OCC, I cleaned all my charge/intake piping, and the BOVs are still bone dry approx 4200 miles later. Shortly after, I flushed my CAC.

Technically, a filter isn't necessary on the BOV since air doesn't flow back in, but it might help catch residual oil if you can't clean your plumbing.

Somebody was playing with filters to try and lessen the sound, I think, but I'm not sure the part numbers. I'll see if I can dig up the thread later today.

@derfdog15 is selling some extra charge pipe caps for VTA while supplies last.

Sorry for the long explanation. I know you probably grasp most or all of this, but lurking and reading these types of posts helped me learn when I was first starting out. :)

MiWiAu is correct.....you will need a 1in silicone cap offered by Derfdog
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7164.0.html.
I recall using a 3/4 I.D to cap the port for VTA. Z     https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ERXXF6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
In respect to the K&N breather filter you can use a 5/8 Flange I.D for the elbow .  Z   
http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

Good explanation! I was just wondering if there's any negative aspects, like more turbo lag that some speculated would happen. I think I measured the air intake tract nipples at one point and they are just under 1 inch if I recall correctly. Any tips on removing the rear BOV clamps/plumbing?

I noticed K&N is now using non-woven synthetic fiber media instead of cotton gauze for most of their crankcase filters, and they only recommend using their new synthetic filter cleaner without oiling the filters.

I noticed that on my 2014 SHO, any breather installed on the valve cover prevents me from using the engine cover. Maybe I'm missing something, or the 2010-2011's were different, or the new K&N filters are different?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 23, 2016, 09:29:16 AM
Good explanation! I was just wondering if there's any negative aspects, like more turbo lag that some speculated would happen. I think I measured the air intake tract nipples at one point and they are just under 1 inch if I recall correctly. Any tips on removing the rear BOV clamps/plumbing?

I noticed K&N is now using non-woven synthetic fiber media instead of cotton gauze for most of their crankcase filters, and they only recommend using their new synthetic filter cleaner without oiling the filters.

I noticed that on my 2014 SHO, any breather installed on the valve cover prevents me from using the engine cover. Maybe I'm missing something, or the 2010-2011's were different, or the new K&N filters are different?

I couldn't feel any difference after doing VTA. I was on a stock tune and did not data log before/after, but I can't imagine a huge difference either way from a performance standpoint.

For the rear BOV clamps, hose clamp pliers are a life saver!! https://www.amazon.com/Astro-9409A-Hose-Clamp-Pliers/dp/B003D3N7YW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1482507837&sr=8-4&keywords=spring+clamp+pliers. There are some cheaper options out there, but with these, you'll have the rear tube off in less than 3 minutes. :)

I've not researched K&N filters, so I'm not sure the size options. I just posted in your cleanside solutions thread with some other possible options for the breather, like maybe using an elbow and remote locating a filter, so you could still install your cover.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7178.0/topicseen.html

Hope it helps! :)
2013 XSport

metroplex

Awesome tip about the tool! I've never heard of those type of pliers, but I ordered the OTC version. Are the vacuum caps about 1" or less in diameter? I recall my notes saying 15/16" would work better but that was in February when I was recovering from major surgery and it was bitterly cold outside.

I used to think the VTA BOV was merely for a bit more sound, but I will definitely try it just to help reduce the amount of heated air going back into the air intake tract. The SHO desperately needs better intercoolers. Even at 30F ambient at the track the IAT2/MCT spikes big time with any amount of boost over stock. My Cobalt SS Turbo can race at 90F ambient and the factory front mounted intercooler has a charge temp that is only like 20-30 degrees more than ambient, and quickly drops (but it also uses a K04 running 22 psi, with a diverter valve and MAF system).
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 23, 2016, 09:04:20 PM
Awesome tip about the tool! I've never heard of those type of pliers, but I ordered the OTC version. Are the vacuum caps about 1" or less in diameter? I recall my notes saying 15/16" would work better but that was in February when I was recovering from major surgery and it was bitterly cold outside.

I had never heard of that tool either, but got the tip either here or explorerforums. I wish I could remember the original tipper, so I could give him credit. But yeah, totally worth it for that back clamp. I actually elected to re-use the spring clamp on my rear BOV port (I used it for an OCC vacuum source). You can lock the spring clamp open with the tool and re-install using the same process in reverse. :)

I used a cap for mine for 1" OD tube. Looking at derdog's caps, he is also using 1 to 1-1/16" OD caps. You might be able to squeeze on a 15/16" cap if you can find one. Count on using a hose clamp regardless to seal it up.

Good luck!
2013 XSport

derfdog15

The caps I bought are 1"-1 1/6" OD Caps and fit perfect IMO. Pretty snug, but able to be taken off if needed without a lot of extra work.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

metroplex

I bought 1-1/16" a long time ago based on what everyone wrote, but they basically fit like Magnum condoms on baby carrots. I currently have 15/16" that are very snug (needed some lube to slide on).

BTW - what brand caps did you use? I see MOCAP lists 1.6mm wall thickness for their 1.06" caps, but it is 1.4mm thickness for smaller caps. I got my 15/16" from McMaster and the wall thickness is about 0.060" nominal. They seem rather thin. My caps are domed at the top, so I wonder if the dome would cave in under vacuum.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 24, 2016, 07:23:12 PM
I bought 1-1/16" a long time ago based on what everyone wrote, but they basically fit like Magnum condoms on baby carrots. I currently have 15/16" that are very snug (needed some lube to slide on).

BTW - what brand caps did you use? I see MOCAP lists 1.6mm wall thickness for their 1.06" caps, but it is 1.4mm thickness for smaller caps. I got my 15/16" from McMaster and the wall thickness is about 0.060" nominal. They seem rather thin. My caps are domed at the top, so I wonder if the dome would cave in under vacuum.

I'm not sure what brand mine were. I actually bought some scuff caps for a chair at the local True Value. I think they came in a two pack. I may have tossed the other one. I just capped the front one. I use the rear charge pipe BOV port as a vacuum source for my OCC.

2013 XSport