• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 SHO honk honk feature

Started by SHOFan808, February 18, 2015, 09:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOFan808

I've had my SHO for about a year now.  One of the "features" my car has that I've noticed the 2013 SHO doesn't seem to have, is one where if I have my keyless fob in my pocket, as I believe is where it's meant to stay when I'm getting in and out of my car, and I leave the engine running, the car will do this double horn honk thing.  I suppose it's meant to warn me that I'm leaving the engine running while outside of the car.  If I take the key fob out of my pocket and leave it in the car while I get in and out, opening and closing the doors or trunk, my car won't do the double honk thing.  I think this is a ridiculous feature that Ford has introduced in their newer cars.  I've asked around and it seems that there's no way to have that feature removed.  I understand that some people may say, "what's the big deal?  Just leave the key fob in the car when opening and closing doors."  But as I've stated in the first place, why have a keyless fob that stays in your pocket, if you need to take it out of your pocket to leave it in the car to prevent the car from going honk honk every time a door is opened and closed while the engine is running?  Imagine this scenario.  You get up early in the morning and get the car running in your quiet neighborhood.  As you leave it running, you load up your kid in the car seat on one side, close the door (honk honk), open the other side, get the other kid in his car seat on the other side and close that door (honk honk) .  Then you open the trunk to load up some bags.  Close the trunk (honk honk) .  Get in your car, and drive down to your mail box at the front of your driveway, open your door and with engine still running, get out of your car to leave some outgoing mail in your mail box and close the door (HONK HONK) .  Get in your car and as you drive off, see all the pissed off neighbors looking out their windows wondering what the hell you're honking at.  It's just ridiculous!

Is there a way that Ford can turn this feature off?  My friend who has a 2013 SHO does not have this issue.  He was surprised when I told him of this besides laughing at my description of this feature.  Can anyone please steer me in the right direction to get that feature removed?  To me, it's not a matter of leaving the key fob in the car while it's running, as stated in my thoughts.  And it's also not a matter of turning off the engine every time I need to jump out of the car, close the door and then get back in real quick.  I also don't think I should have to leave the door open if getting out of the car real quick if I leave the engine running just to keep it from honking.  Anyhow, sorry for the rant.  It's just irritating.  Any thoughts?

ZSHO

That is strange cause my 13SHO which has a build date of 11/12 produces the same feature that you are describing,the best thing to do is to make sure when exiting the vehicle when people are inside that you are the first one to open the door first and the double honk noise should not sound,also another note you can try is to adjust the doors unlock setting feature to unlock all doors or unlock one door upon entering or exiting by the left side of dasboard setting feature.,hope this helps.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Airbornemaikai

Lol mine does this as well, only time it really annoys me is when I go out and start it in the morning and it honks in my garage making it seem extra loud. ( I don't always use the remote start feature)
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

wasinger3000

Mine is a 13 and does not do this but our 15 F150 does and I HATE it. For all the reason you mentioned. I don't understand why they won't allow it to be optional.

Almost to the point of unplugging the horn.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

Wilson

Same here. My 13 SHO doesn't have it but the wife's 14 Explorer does. So damn annoying and I can't find a way to turn it off. Maybe someone with an IDS can figure it out?
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

UtesFanRy

My '14 does this as well and I also hate it for reasons mentioned above...

Posting here in hopes that someone can provide some input and/or help with disabling this annoying feature...
1991 SHO | White - gone, long gone.
2014 SHO Performance Package | Platinum White - gone
2017 Explorer Sport | Magnetic - gone
2020 Explorer ST | Rich Copper

Frozen Taurus

My 2011 does not do this ...it double honks if I try to lock the car with hood, trunk or door open though
2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

ZSHO

I guess after doing a little research came to the conclusion that if the car is RUNNING and you close the doors and walf away with key fob in your pocket the double honk will sound just to alert you that the car is running,the only way is to leave the drivers door SLIGHTLY OPEN,that will not set off the honk,another way is to leave the extra key fob inside the car,but honestly dont recommend that.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sunwolf

I have the same problem, I f****** hate it. Complete fail on Ford's part. I'm going to take it to the dealer and tell them to disable it. I'm sure its possible.
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

IHeartGroceries

Mine does it when the engine isn't even running. Say, I stop the engine, my wife exits the car out of the front passenger door, closes it behind her and it double honks. I'm always like, wtf mate.
2013 SHO PP

sunwolf

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on February 19, 2015, 05:18:53 PM
Mine does it when the engine isn't even running. Say, I stop the engine, my wife exits the car out of the front passenger door, closes it behind her and it double honks. I'm always like, wtf mate.
If the passenger opens the door first or the driver opens the door before shutting off the engine it will do it.
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

Mac98SHO

I hear it when I am in the car and my passenger beats me out of the car, and closes there door.
2013 SHO w/Performance Package (Tuxedo Black)
Air Raid Intake
X-pipe with Stock Mufflers
X4 SCT w/Unleashed Tunes

IHeartGroceries

Yes, precisely. But my wife always beats me out of the cab. Lol!
Well, good to know it's purposefully done that way. Thought s*** was going haywire.
2013 SHO PP

SHOFan808

I'm going to take my car in for an oil change in a couple thousand miles.  I usually get it done through a friend's shop, but I'm going to take it to the dealership this time and ask them about it.  Hopefully they can disable it.  If so, I'll let you guys know.  Unless someone beats me to it, heh heh.

s1krr

I have the same issue with my 2013 xsport. I just learned to keep it slightly open when i leave the car so the damn thing dont honk.
Hopefully shofan808 will have some great news from the dealer.

I dont know if this has been posted somewhere but sometimes id like to keep the key in the car when parked and lock it. Then when returning just use the door code to open. Everytime i leave the key in the car and push the lock button from the inside, close the door, it always unlocks. Is there something im missing in the settings to disable this.