• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign vs AirAid on the DYNO!

Started by peppelepugh, February 03, 2015, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

To be honest, dyno is not best way to test an air intake, the track is. MPH will show you true HP gains/losses.
I'm not discounting your findings, just know that I saw a loss of .2 and 2MPH with the airaid at the track compared to stock intake, I switched back and forth twice in one night and replicated my testing on both switches.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SHOdded

So what are OEMs using to test their vehicles' outputs?  Surely they are either using computer modeling or dyno runs most of the time, and track only a relatively small % of the time?  $ & sense and all that.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wasinger3000

Has anyone performed a stock intake vs MDesign test?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: SHOdded on February 03, 2015, 10:35:03 PM
So what are OEMs using to test their vehicles' outputs?  Surely they are either using computer modeling or dyno runs most of the time, and track only a relatively small % of the time?  $ & sense and all that.
Everything is engine rated, not WHP rated. :)
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

SHOdded

True, but don't they need to know drivetrain losses, even if they don't release the numbers officially?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bamsho

Interesting results.  Yeah, numbers are close enough to say they are both equal.  Someone posted volume of air, makes me wondering if the extra intake tube I installed helps.  I do notice more pull at the track about 1/8 miles, not sure how it will work being dynoed, unless they have a real big barn fan.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: SHOdded on February 04, 2015, 08:10:43 AM
True, but don't they need to know drivetrain losses, even if they don't release the numbers officially?
No, people like you and I come up with guestimated WHP. The manufacturers use engine dynos.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

SHOdded

MDesign Performance

Thought I'd chime in about something that was brought up now that the discussion has been started.

First off I'd like to thank the community for all the help thus far in testing out the intakes, without a great community most of this would not be possible.

Now to to the data...BigMoneyCloser had done the initial dyno using a Mustang dyno and back to back there was a significant gain with the MDesign over the Air Raid (10.6whp & 16wtq) though as we can see in this test the MDesign and Air Raid were pretty close. The only difference between the mods of both peppelepugh and BigMoneyCloser are the addition of downpipes and catback exhaust.

The intake is a breather mod, along with anything that involves changing the intake/exhaust systems. As such, the combination of other intake/exhaust modifications can have a affect on how well the added performance parts compliment each other as a whole which is what had occurred in BigMoneyCloser's testing. With the downpipes and catback installed, being the only difference as both vehicles have 3Bar tune and intake, the same tests showed a gain when swapping the Air Raid for the MDesign. As suggested above, the best method of testing the intakes for "quickness" or speed would be at the track which I plan to do when the weather/tracks open up here in Michigan.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

SHOdded

We're all looking for ceteris paribus data :D

91hybrid

Quote from: MDesign on February 04, 2015, 05:17:20 PM
Thought I'd chime in about something that was brought up now that the discussion has been started.

First off I'd like to thank the community for all the help thus far in testing out the intakes, without a great community most of this would not be possible.

Now to to the data...BigMoneyCloser had done the initial dyno using a Mustang dyno and back to back there was a significant gain with the MDesign over the Air Raid (10.6whp & 16wtq) though as we can see in this test the MDesign and Air Raid were pretty close. The only difference between the mods of both peppelepugh and BigMoneyCloser are the addition of downpipes and catback exhaust.

The intake is a breather mod, along with anything that involves changing the intake/exhaust systems. As such, the combination of other intake/exhaust modifications can have a affect on how well the added performance parts compliment each other as a whole which is what had occurred in BigMoneyCloser's testing. With the downpipes and catback installed, being the only difference as both vehicles have 3Bar tune and intake, the same tests showed a gain when swapping the Air Raid for the MDesign. As suggested above, the best method of testing the intakes for "quickness" or speed would be at the track which I plan to do when the weather/tracks open up here in Michigan.

So wouldn't a higher demanding car show the differences between the intakes if there were any?

I don't understand your rational.

Again OP did an outstanding job collecting the data from the runs to see what the car was doing and what effects the intakes made on the incoming air into the throttle body and all the processes prior.
2014 SHO -PP, Unleashed Tuned, 3bar, Devils Own 100% meth, PPE catted down pipes, 3rd cat delete, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, 170 deg, NGK 7's plugs, hot pipes - White Platinum 401a
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
non meth 13.11@103.6 (knock limited)
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

J-Will

Quote from: 91hybrid on February 04, 2015, 07:35:42 PM
Quote from: MDesign on February 04, 2015, 05:17:20 PM

So wouldn't a higher demanding car show the differences between the intakes if there were any?

I don't understand your rational.

Again OP did an outstanding job collecting the data from the runs to see what the car was doing and what effects the intakes made on the incoming air into the throttle body and all the processes prior.
The 'higher demanding' car did show larger discrepancy in favor of MDesign.

While only a small gain here, the larger gains seen on the previous dyno results could be explained by the symbiotic relationship the other (exhaust) mods have.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

91hybrid

Got it. Big's xsport has the same setup as OP's plus Catted down pipes and exhaust.had it flipped. Carry on.
2014 SHO -PP, Unleashed Tuned, 3bar, Devils Own 100% meth, PPE catted down pipes, 3rd cat delete, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, 170 deg, NGK 7's plugs, hot pipes - White Platinum 401a
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
non meth 13.11@103.6 (knock limited)
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

Debonair70

Definitely a great read. I'm still running the stock air box with a drop in K&N filter. More than likely I'll make my move to the MDesign....THAT DESIGN DOE!!!
2018 F-150 Lariat w/Max Tow - BCB Plugs & Custom 93 Tune | aFe Magnum Force CAI | Diode Dynamics SS3 Max Yellow Fogs

TTSport15

after watching mustang cobra n gt guys drop all kinds of crazy $$ on the latest and greatest cai i just stuck with the basic ebay in take for my mustang gt 4.6 2v bak in the day (mostly for looks ) and never had any issues...once any engine gets heat soaked if ur not blowing 45 deg air down it's throat ur basically pissing up a rope...
I Bleed BLue