• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tune degradation????

Started by Dxlnt1, February 02, 2015, 10:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

I reflashed at the track after a few runs and netted worse runs.

My best was when I flashed before the hour drive there and trained it on the way.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ZSHO

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on February 04, 2015, 03:21:49 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on February 04, 2015, 01:25:34 PM
If you go to your owners manuel and follow the battery and transmission relearn when battery is changed or disconnected,it will show that the engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum performance,same goes for the transmission,it must relearn its adaptive strategy ,as a result of this the transmission will shift firmly which is normal,overtime the adaptive learning process will fully update the transmission ti its optimum shift feel,so essentially so many variables are to take into consideration pertaining to driving style which is stored on the ECM,when battery is removed or disconnected all of the data is erased and must later relearn it again.

So whenever battery is pulled or drained might as well ref lash tune anyway.

Also, so many are all over the place on this one. I did ref lash yesterday. Then using Torque, I got a better time, but near as good as it has been in the past. But, I don't trust Torque either. Seems to lag too much. Therefore, may not be very accurate. May gotta go to track again for real test
Yor are absolutly correct in both matters,time will tell especially at the track and keep us updated,also why does the 3-bar always have to be brought up by a certain member even if its not related to the topic,its really starting to P*** me off,stick to the topic,give us some factual and credible answers,if your so infatuated in a 3-bar,have an extra one which i'll give it to you for free.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Airbornemaikai

Yes I believe someone for some reason thinks were trying to say the vehicle relearns back to stock when tuned, which is not the case at all. No one ever said back to stock, its just relearning your driving patterns to adjust accordingly. I have indeed flashed many times changing between tunes such as 91, 93 and stock. Each time I do i disconnect the battery and let it sit for at least 30mins, and I can assure you the vehicle does indeed shift differently even if just flashing the same tune (after disconnecting the battery of course). There is no mistaking this.
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160ยบ Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

Txstrmhntr

if the car is driven for a few weeks like a grandma aka in my case the wife taking it around town, and it hasnt had a good romping the shifts will get soft too soft imo. Either drive the car like you stole it for a few days before a track day or reflash the tune a day or two before track day. reflash is easy
OLD
2013 Taurus SHO with PP, LET Tuned, ATP+2 Turbos ,PPE Hotpipes, PPE off road DP's,  Alky control methanol injection
NEW-- 2016 Kona Blue Fiesta ST, Stock(not for long)

SHOdded

Would be nice to have a "set & forget" point when you are happy with the way the car performs/behaves.  If you can have memory seats, why not a memory PCM?  Subject to the safeguards, of course.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

liteyouup

Call people out by name, not " a certain member."  Don't sugar coat it!  LOL
2013 Explorer Sport
...and on that day, not one #@%$ was given.

ZSHO

Quote from: liteyouup on February 05, 2015, 06:34:23 AM
Call people out by name, not " a certain member."  Don't sugar coat it!  LOL
Here at E.B.P.F things work out a little different here,we try to keep our discussions grounded and straight to the point,not outside the box,maybe you spent to much time over the explorer forum,here we have a little more respect for one another,keep it real.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

J-Will

Quote from: ajpturbo on February 03, 2015, 11:05:22 PM
Questions like these make me wonder if people really understand what happens with a "tune" when you tune your car. If a tune is set up right, then there is nothing to relearn or revert to. The ECU doesn't store a previous version or a hard code within the ECU that it always will try to go back to.

When a tune is wrote and loaded to a device then flashed to the car the ECU has been completely reformatted and the ECU only knows what values have been inserted into all the various tables, and there are a lot. Even when the person that writes the tune leaves adaptive fuel control on, as long as it's set up correctly then it will adapt to what the tuner has defined in the tables and scalars.

The old tune is GONE when you flash your car, it is however stored in your flash device so you can revert to stock if needed. And for the guys with a 3 bar tune, if the car was in a constant state of trying to revert to stock then it wouldn't run well the closer it's gets to stock and eventually not at all. The values that are changed in a 3 bar tune won't allow the car to run if it was trying to get back to stock

Perhaps you misread the questions; it is not about relearning or reverting back to stock.  Some parameters within the ECU have a range of options, and the code is configured to adapt to the one that fits best in situations.  For example: it is possible that someone who sets their transmission shifts to be hard and fast, but babies their car to have that setting slowly change to a softer shift point figure within the parameters of the ECU.  Or a car knowing which type of gas you put in the tank, and adjusting the KR accordingly.  The point is, the options are not hard fast and static.

While I have not heard of this happening to a car, in theory it is possible. 
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

ZSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on February 03, 2015, 11:05:22 PM
Questions like these make me wonder if people really understand what happens with a "tune" when you tune your car. If a tune is set up right, then there is nothing to relearn or revert to. The ECU doesn't store a previous version or a hard code within the ECU that it always will try to go back to.

When a tune is wrote and loaded to a device then flashed to the car the ECU has been completely reformatted and the ECU only knows what values have been inserted into all the various tables, and there are a lot. Even when the person that writes the tune leaves adaptive fuel control on, as long as it's set up correctly then it will adapt to what the tuner has defined in the tables and scalars.

The old tune is GONE when you flash your car, it is however stored in your flash device so you can revert to stock if needed. And for the guys with a 3 bar tune, if the car was in a constant state of trying to revert to stock then it wouldn't run well the closer it's gets to stock and eventually not at all. The values that are changed in a 3 bar tune won't allow the car to run if it was trying to get back to stock
Why dont we trying sticking with the topic and keep the discussion factual and grounded,so basically I dont know why you see the need to trump,mention constantly in almost all your posts the negatives of a 3-bar,i try hard to to keep my conversations friendly and factual.and i let people believe what they want to believe,no good will be done here by me proving your misinformed.

AJP turbo

I have a 3 bar. No worries. Most people's insight in tuning on this forum is horrible. I can tell you what's actually in the tables in the tune. Most people here don't know what an MTF is or have the software to open it. So you won't be able to prove me wrong on much in that department. The adaptive is limited to what is defined in the tables.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

I guess some of us just like the simplicity if canned tunes as oppose to datalogging,and hopefully your PCM incorporates for all of the calibration constant tables,and not below the value read by the converter,so essentially if you have time on your hands and benefits you,best of luck,also did not see you had a 3-bar based on your sig or avatar.

J-Will

Quote from: ajpturbo on February 05, 2015, 12:43:49 PM
I have a 3 bar. No worries. Most people's insight in tuning on this forum is horrible. I can tell you what's actually in the tables in the tune. Most people here don't know what an MTF is or have the software to open it. So you won't be able to prove me wrong on much in that department. The adaptive is limited to what is defined in the tables.

I dont know what the malfunction is here, but I dont think you understand the original question.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

SHOnUup

So it looks like we can agree that if you're going to the track to try and post the best time you can, that there is some tune degradation. It's not re-writing the tune or anything like that. It's just "smoothing" itself out learning the driving habits. Well, unless your doing 1/4 mile pulls everyday. Then you should be ok.

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

AJP turbo

I thought the 18-20 psi in my sig gave away my having a 3 bar sensor installed.

I get your points, but I get flamed up because I've seen quite a few threads mentioning the idea of a tune losing it's punch. If you are talking .15 second swings in a 1/4 that's not a lot. If your car is showing 9 second 0-60 runs with torque then you have a problem and it's not the tune. I've never used those apps so I can't speak to them.

I'll have to re read the original post but I thought the OP said something about having tranny problems and the car "not running at all" then was asking about degrading tune.

The way I see people here talk about tunes, to me it sounds like they think the flash process is like an upgrade or a type of mod that just modifies how the car runs and it sounds like they don't understand it's a complete re-write of the ROM.

Carry on sorry for the confusion

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOnUup

.15 looks like a healthy # to me to be losing at the track. But that's me. Torque isn't spot on for sure. Spin the tires at all and the #'s get out of whack. But it's a decent baseline to monitor some stuff for sure.

Rich