• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

10' SHO Oil smell

Started by Quinid, January 26, 2015, 02:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinid

So last week my car suddenly started smelling like oil inside the car once I would stop. It seems to do it when the car is almost fully warmed up or whenever I dog on it. Mind you I had the PTU fluid changed a month ago, so there was a chance it would spilling out the breather. The car only has 65k miles. I took it to the dealership today and after 2 hours the tech rep came to me and showed me my VTA mod(only the front side was done). I told him I did it and it does not cause any issues other than the sound. He didn't seem to believe me. He decided that the pcv valve may be bad because of the VTA mod. Is that a thing? I don't understand how it would be the case. So I just went with it. I asked how is the oil level and he said there was hardly any oil loss.They came back and said they need to order parts and do it another day. So i looked at the list of parts he was ordering. And it included the pcv valve and a valve cover.  I thought, why would they need to replace the valve cover if my VTA mod is "causing the problem". I'll just go with it since I have the Ford extended warranty, which I have yet to inform them that I have. I thought I would post the experience and maybe get some of your input before it gets the parts replaced next Monday.
2014 Blue Flex 303A Appearance package all stock
2000 F250 XLT 7.3L 410k miles
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod
1957 Chevy 3200 pickup 3 speed stock straight 6
1968 Camaro RS 3 speed 350 sb with vortec heads.

SHOdded

Most likely/known culprits would be turbo oil line seal or valve cover gasket leak (plug well would have oil in it if so).  Sounds like they are basically applying the TSB, and blaming your VTA as the cause.  If anything, the VTA is supposed to help REDUCE the PCV problems, not increase them. 

BTW, did you try reverting to stock and seeing if it made any difference in this case?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

I had the Bank one valve cover gasket and spark plug well seals replaced after I discovered 2-3" of oil in the #3 well (rear driver's side) when I was regapping my plugs to install the tune (at about 3K miles).... but no oil smell.. I'd check the rear turbo externally since you're stock.... If anything, VTA should help keep the PCV valve working... Maybe it just wore out on your '10?.... Anyway I've put about 15K since the above and was VTA shortly before without issue.

Another thought, ...Following Manu's idea, I'd look for oil on something really hot...exhaust manifold (where the turbo mounts and beyond... if you can't see anything remember it could be leaking into (inside) the manifold.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ZSHO

x2 on that,what are they replacing the front valve cover? guess you really got lucky in two ways,one is having the X-warranty,and two is having all that work performed for free for a vta mod which in most cases could void your warranty for one vta mod not two,had mine replaced under warranty along with the oil seperator,they found oil along the rear valve cover,keep us updated.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Quinid

They removed the mod without telling me and it still smells.
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod

MDesign Performance

Tell them to check above your downpipes cats, there might be oil falling on top of the cats from the turbos (bad oil return line) or the PTU is leaking onto the exhaust.

So essentially, check the exhaust for oil stains.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

Quinid

Will do. Still waiting on parts

Quinid

Parts are in.  Car will go to the shop Saturday or Monday

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Quinid

Got the car back later this afternoon. They replaced a valve cover, a pcv valve, and a oil separator assembly per TSB 14-0196. Cost me 100 dollars for the warranty deductible. No oil smell so far the 7 miles I drove home. Time will tell. The TSB describes the issue as oil consumption/oil smell coming from exhaust at normal temperature. I'm not sure if i had burning oil in the exhaust, I think it was dripping like you guys described. Oh well. We will see.

SHOdded

Even if the fix is incidental to the problem, the results are all we care about :) esp at the cost of $100!

ZSHO

Great to hear you got her fixed up,any noticeable changes in power or engine sound? best of luck and hopefully its a permanent fix.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Quinid

My butt dyno didn't notice a change in power unfortunately.  And on my commute to work this morning,  it came back.  The smell is definitely not as strong,  but it's there.  I think i will wait a week and see if it's just leftover oil that just needs to be cooked off.  If not then back to the shop it goes i guess.

SHOdded

Hmmm.  Maybe it's escaping via a split hose at/near the intercooler (I think Rich/SHOnUup had posted a pic not long ago).  If there are no obvious drips, the vapors would be enough to trigger the smell.  Since it's not a stinky smell, we can rule out PTU involvement.  No performance issues, probably not loose turbo piping.

Quinid

Well, seems the smell is gone today.  Good on ford for getting it right.  Now just to talk them into fixing the random neutral drops.