• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Warped Rotors @ 50K miles

Started by liteyouup, January 24, 2015, 11:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liteyouup

Took the Explorer to California last week, and was getting some shaking while coming down the mountain, only while braking, worse when pushing harder.  I assume I need new rotors... anything other than normal pads/rotors I need to keep an eye out for?  Do we have like known caliper problems or anything?

2013 Explorer Sport
...and on that day, not one #@%$ was given.

ZSHO

Do you have original pads on your X SPORT? there is TSB but that is pertaining to the rear pads having corrosion buildup between the pad and anchor bracket causing brake squeak,depending also on the dealer,personally would try to make an appt with your service advisor and maybe they would consider it under warranty,especially if the truck was purchased new from the same dealership.  http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2013/tsbs/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOnUup

Definitely sounds like warped rotors. Have to remember the key to braking down a decent incline is to brake pretty good at times over riding the brakes. Huge heat build up when riding the brakes down a hill.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

liteyouup

I don't ride the brakes but hard to say how the wife drives when I'm not around. 

I bought it used @35K so whatever damage had been done was (I would like to think) from them, and wouldn't know about the original pads but probably. I'll have to make an appt.
2013 Explorer Sport
...and on that day, not one #@%$ was given.

SHOnUup

Quote from: liteyouup on January 28, 2015, 10:55:53 AM
I don't ride the brakes but hard to say how the wife drives when I'm not around. 

I bought it used @35K so whatever damage had been done was (I would like to think) from them, and wouldn't know about the original pads but probably. I'll have to make an appt.
Exactly, with the wife comment. Tendency is to ride them for some reason.

Some things we just do naturally, have to be conveyed to the wife; nicely, not condescending, probably more than a few times, and with some kind of bribe to help the understanding...lol

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

EcoPowerParts

Time for an upgrade, will make a HUGE difference. Get the stoptech pads/rotors and remove the brake fade! :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

peppelepugh

EBC STAGE 4 SET ALL DAY! well, if they offer them for the explorer.
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

BlackJac

I'd suggest to go with rotors that have a high carbon content and are Cryo-Treated. I went with Centric plain 125 Series Cryo-Treated rotors on my wife's 04' Acura TL with Brembo calipers and Hawk HPS pads.
2017 Fusion Sport - 401A/ Moonroof/ Magnetic Grey/ Livernois Motorsports 93 Stage 3

2015 Explorer Sport  - SOLD

Modded 1980 Corvette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SUDndpy8bw