• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Emissions and Inspection

Started by jayskycj, January 18, 2015, 02:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayskycj

Ok guys, frustration level has hit "forum level". I went to get my inspection done here in lovely NC, only to have 5 sensors not pass Ready. Off the top of my head they include Evap, O2, the A/C system, etc.

I was told to drive around so the drive cycles could trigger ready to all systems. Well over a thousand miles later, same thing.

I flashed back to stock from the 3bar, and so far that hasn't helped either. (Battery disconnect as well). I am throwing a P1000 dtc, (OB2 monitor not complete).

I have followed the Ford drive cycle and my patience is wearing thin, as my tag will be expired at the end of the month.

Any suggestions?  (Mods in sig)
2010 LMS Mycal 4X3Bar with K&N typhoon, 170 tstat, 534 plugs gapped .030, PPE Downpipes, magnaflow X Pipe and stock mufflers. Eibach Springs and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

BiGMaC

Quote from: jayskycj on January 18, 2015, 02:46:41 PM
Ok guys, frustration level has hit "forum level". I went to get my inspection done here in lovely NC, only to have 5 sensors not pass Ready. Off the top of my head they include Evap, O2, the A/C system, etc.

I was told to drive around so the drive cycles could trigger ready to all systems. Well over a thousand miles later, same thing.

I flashed back to stock from the 3bar, and so far that hasn't helped either. (Battery disconnect as well). I am throwing a P1000 dtc, (OB2 monitor not complete).

I have followed the Ford drive cycle and my patience is wearing thin, as my tag will be expired at the end of the month.

Any suggestions?  (Mods in sig)

Without more info... Is this the first time to take it for emissions testing?... Sounds like the AC needs looking at.... Did you go back to the 2BAR MAP?.... Do you have non-catted DPs (if so that O2 sensor will complain and if it's turned off the readiness test will also fail... Is the O2 sensor installed in the K&N and functioning? ... and lastly, after you check everything clear the current DTCs with your tuner, at least to avoid confusion as you try to follow-up on any new ones.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

jayskycj

Thanks for the input. It passed last year on just a stage 4 2bar and intake.  I have catted dp's, and it is back to stock tune.

Hard to imagine I have 5 system failures just because they aren't "ready".

O2 installed in intake btw.  I did clear the code after returned to stock.

The car drives perfect and everything works normal (a/c, heat, all the gadgets and so on)
2010 LMS Mycal 4X3Bar with K&N typhoon, 170 tstat, 534 plugs gapped .030, PPE Downpipes, magnaflow X Pipe and stock mufflers. Eibach Springs and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

BiGMaC

Hate to see the frustrating events you're having... It is possible that one of the control modules is failing... My son just had to have his main ECM replaced in his 2010 MKS because of intermittently not starting... but when it did start it ran fine! (took 3 dealers and 9 visits to get it diagnosed!)... In his case because the main ECM sets the codes, none were thrown. I could see that a unit was sending a code because of malfunctioning.

That said, I'd have it back to stock and let a trusted dealer take a look.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

jayskycj

Oh no! That's a bummer for his Lincoln.  I haven't had any buggy or weird issues with it starting or running.

I agree Big Mac, I think it's dealer time, as most of us do I'm hoping for a fix I can do myself. I will drive it some more on the stock tune and take it in soon.

SHOdded

Would it be a bad assumption to make that you have tried disconnecting the battery for 30 min to an hour, then going through the drive cycle?  Usually if an "electrical" problem is weird or can't be resolved any other way, a disconnect is a logical & useful step.  Also, how hold is the SHO's battery?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Agree with MANU and BigMac,disconnect the battery a good hour,then proceed with the drive cycle which average takes about 30-50 miles to complete and be emission ready,if you have torque app it will come in handy and letting you know if its ready before visiting the station,also whats the status with the a/c,is it functional,or did it all of a sudden stop working?

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

jayskycj

I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, it is not that old and has been tested by the mechanics at the emissions shop, they said it was in good condition. It reads 14.4 volts on my OB2 scanner.

The A/C works fine, it's just one of the sensors that are not reading readiness when they run their tests.

The shop I took it to thought my battery must have been disconnected as that resets all readiness checks and you have to perform a drive cycle. I told them it hasn't been disconnected since summer, when I added my down pipes.

I would hate to buy a new battery for no reason, you guys think it's worth it, or should I just go to Ford?  Thanks all!

SHOdded

14.4V with engine running is proof the charging system is working.  Did they check without the engine running?  Should be in 12.6-12.8V range if in peak condition.

I'd say take it to the dealer, best course of action.

As far as the drive cycle, you have to be very nitpicky to make sure the monitors are reset.  For example:
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/9072-obd-inspection-failhow-do-i-reset-readiness-monitors/

A link from that thread:
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

There was a Recall for the Edge:  13E04 - PCM Configuration Error
13E04

Affected vehicles: 2011 Ford Edge, Ford Explorer and Lincoln MKX vehicles that received a PCM calibration in service.

Situation: In some of the affected vehicles, the "Learn" command may not have been performed when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was preprogramed in service. This condition will cause a reset of the OBD-II system on every vehicle power-up cycle, which leads to a "Not Ready" condition and sets a non-MIL P160A DTC. While no drivability symptoms will be present during vehicle operation, the OBD system will not function normally and MIL indication will be inhibited.

Maybe simply needs a PCM update (trip to dealer):
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11877-pcm-failure-on-2011-ford-edge/
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

To the dealer... X2

New battery?  Different issue...

AJP turbo

Few things. First off adaptive fuel control needs to be on for some of the monitors to reach ready. I can tell you what I did for my setup but you may be limited since you have a Livernois tune and they may or may not be willing to do what I tell you.

I'm not even sure if they have these parameters available in their software even if they will change them for you. And technically it's illegal I think.

All of my monitors reached a ready state and I have catless down pipes.
Under OBD II, catalyst monitor, normal threshold 0=.00000199 and 1= the same value
then under step change logic limit both values need to be .000000999

all front and rear o2's need to be on or the monitors won't run. With those changes my monitors set in about 150 miles.

Option 2.

Under OBD II, chronometric, OBD mil switch and OBD II test switch need to be changed from 183 to 0

This will make all monitors read N/A except EGR which will reach a ready state fairly quick.

Most inpection that require emissions only fail you when your monitors read incomplete. If they read N/A you should be fine. Even if your EGR monitor reads incomplete you should be allowed 1 incomplete. At least that's how it is in PA.

LMS may not do any of this for you then you are SOL. I use SCT.

And I think you may be mistaken on the A/C monitor. It should read N/A I'd have to double check but the monitors we have on our car is fuel system, comp system, Evap, Egr, cat monitor, o2 and heated o2.

A/C and secondary air injection and heated cat monitor are all N/A
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

jayskycj

Wow this is good info. ajp, I know it said something about the a/c, I have the printout at work I will check it tomorrow and tell you guys exactly what systems are not ready.  I will try your OBII tricks and see what happens.  Fyi I am tune-less as of now until I fix this.  In NC they allow 2. What model scanner do you use? I'm new to the one I have.

Shodded, the battery in fact is in the upper 12's with the engine off. I have seen that drive cycle, it's crazy lol!  It very well might be that recall, I didn't know that existed, thanks for the info. I will mess with it this week, then take it to Ford.

AJP turbo

I have an actron 9175. It's nothing you will be able to do. The items I am talking about need to be changed in the tune.

I also have an IDS ford diagnostic tool VCM II

I'm thinking it's related to your down pipes though. Even though you are catted some have good luck and some don't

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

When you do a reflash, battery disconnect, or KAM reset, you reset all your monitors. So don't do any of those just before trying to get inspected!

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

jayskycj

I passed inspection today!

I drove a few hundred miles in mixed driving on my stock tune and all systems eventually went to "ready".

I'm not sure if the tune caused the issue or not. Either way, thanks for the input. Now time to put the 3bar back on, she's been dearly missed.