• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Anyone ever tried Stright pipes on there SHO?

Started by MEANSHO, January 15, 2015, 12:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEANSHO

I was just curious after hearing the new ford GT. How would down pipes with no cats and straight exhaust no muffler or resonators at all would sound. I obviously know it would be loud at WOT but I have been thinking about doing this on my SHO my powerstroke diesel is already straight piped and I love the sound and you can actually keep it reasonably quiet when you want to with a little throttle control. IMO the SHO is way to quiet I like to here that turbo spool.

MDesign Performance

I've tried this, it is loud and actually not that bad. The only bad thing is the drone you will have inside the cabin with the free-flowing system.

If you were interested in a custom setup I would do straight pipes from the down-pipe back and use some a high-flow resonator and chambered mufflers to kill drone. Kind of like the MDesign exhaust system that is currently for sale, though as it sits it is the same thing as practically a straight exhaust since all the components are high flowing. Throw on some chambered mufflers and I believe you could have something nice and unique.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

IHeartGroceries

Mind numbing drone to go along with your loudness.
2013 SHO PP

wasinger3000

Unless you build a j pipe resonator tuned to the drone frequency like I did.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

BiGMaC

Agree with all responses, except... Our turbos are not fed equally with air especially if the OEM "saxophone" is still in place.... No matter what you do make sure there is a X-pipe after the DPs to equalize exhaust pressures... the third cat does this on OEM.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

802SHO

This post is old but I would like to get a better understanding on the significance of an x-pipe.  I have an appt on Sept 10th to remove my 3rd cat and resonator.  I have Thunderstorm 2.5" catless downpipes to the factory 2.25" 3rd cat and resonator, mufflers are deleted. 

New setup will be 2.5" downpipes to 2.5" straight pipes back with tips.  No cats, no resonator, no mufflers. 

Do I really need an x-pipe?  I understand our turbos don't flow evenly and an x-pipe would help to balance back pressure....but what is the benefit of balancing back pressure if the intital flow is uneven?  It seems to me an x-pipe would not help the turbos flow evenly so whats the point of balancing the back pressure? 

Would it hurt to let them flow naturally, uneven or not?  And I wonder if any type of loss of low end torque would actually help my 60ft due to less traction loss. 

Any further insight and information will be well received.  If collectively we're not sure I'm not having an x-pipe installed.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

geophb

I don't see how our turbo system flow "unevenly".  And in any turbocharged system the turbo charger provides all the "backpressure" the motor will ever need. Any sort of piping or restriction after the turbine increases spool time and reduces performance. So straight through all the way back is best. X-pipe wont change anything.

Side note: If your making 15 psi boost going into throttle body, there has to be atleast 15 psi pressure (backpressure) in the exhaust manifold to drive the turbine.
2010 Taurus SHO 3bar AJPturbo tune

802SHO

Thank you!  I thought they didn't flow evenly because of what BiGMac said.  So up1 for no x-pipe!!  😃
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.

Jordan

I agree with BigMac. From the factory the third cat balances. Think of it this way. An x pipe can be had for like $20-25 and won't hurt anything if you put it on. Also I have never hear of an instance where an x pipe made something worse or sound worse. It's always been for the better. Currently i have 2.5" catless down pipes to straight 2.5" with an x pipe in the original third cat location back to 2 18" vibrant resonators. It's horrendously loud at times down low, but that's my opinion.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

geophb

I don't see how they flow uneven. Both heads, both turbo, both exhaust manifolds have identical dimensions and fed from one throttle inlet. Only thing is one turbo is about 2 foot in front of the other, which means nothing.
2010 Taurus SHO 3bar AJPturbo tune

Jordan

Quote from: geophb on August 31, 2018, 09:58:14 AM
I don't see how they flow uneven. Both heads, both turbo, both exhaust manifolds have identical dimensions and fed from one throttle inlet. Only thing is one turbo is about 2 foot in front of the other, which means nothing.

There is a lot more than just that. Like the number of bends and at which angle, I don't think it'll make a difference, but putting an x pipe in is not going to have any cons. Only pros if it does do something. I'd rather just pay the $20 for peace of mind that I am optimizing my car to it's fullest.

802SHO

Quote from: Jordan on August 31, 2018, 10:08:23 AM

There is a lot more than just that. Like the number of bends and at which angle, I don't think it'll make a difference, but putting an x pipe in is not going to have any cons. Only pros if it does do something. I'd rather just pay the $20 for peace of mind that I am optimizing my car to it's fullest.

That's also a good point.  I can have the shop make an xpipe easy.  If it doesnt hurt but may help..why not? 

Xpipe ☝ 1.  Need a tie breaker lol

Jordan

Quote from: 802SHO on August 31, 2018, 10:18:41 AM
Quote from: Jordan on August 31, 2018, 10:08:23 AM

That's also a good point.  I can have the shop make an xpipe easy.  If it doesnt hurt but may help..why not? 

Xpipe ☝ 1.  Need a tie breaker lol

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-sxp4

This is the one I have on my car. Dirt cheap. And also looks a lot better than the one pictured with more direct flow patterns.

ToMang07

Quote from: Jordan on August 31, 2018, 10:22:54 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-sxp4

This is the one I have on my car. Dirt cheap. And also looks a lot better than the one pictured with more direct flow patterns.

Find a stainless one. Aluminized SUCKS.
~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

Jordan

Guarantee any exhaust shop he is going to is not going to use stainless anyways so what's the difference in the end lol.. It'll hold up fine for many years. Plus that price difference tho