• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How to stop the black soot on my tail pipes

Started by TTSport15, January 10, 2015, 10:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephm

black soot comes from running rich and unburned fuel passing the cats
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

FoMoCoSHO

Amsoil signature 0-30 and E-85 keep my tips shiny.

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

IHeartGroceries

2013 SHO PP

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 07, 2015, 12:57:34 PM
You're using a zero weight motor oil?
Yup, 5k intervals.

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

That oil is great stuff, along with any of the Amsoil ss line.

The "0" is only applicable for the extreme cold so once it's warmed up then it's the same as any 30 weight. It's meant to cover an operating range from very cold to warm incase you are driving in those temps during 1 oil change

Really if the temps were 70 degrees all year you wouldn't need multi viscosity oil

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 07, 2015, 01:06:19 PM
Yup, 5k intervals.

FoMoCo you are wasting a lot of the that oil with a 5k interval. The base number would still be really high at 5k but I know where you are coming from. It's hard to force yourself to go more than that.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 07, 2015, 02:48:56 PM

That oil is great stuff, along with any of the Amsoil ss line.

The "0" is only applicable for the extreme cold so once it's warmed up then it's the same as any 30 weight. It's meant to cover an operating range from very cold to warm incase you are driving in those temps during 1 oil change

Really if the temps were 70 degrees all year you wouldn't need multi viscosity oil
Yup, I want the 0 for fast flow during Ohio winters....we will be keeping the SHO for a while and we all know how much wear occurs during cold starts.

0 is superior for cold starts in any environment IMHO. Faster flow = faster protection

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 07, 2015, 02:51:32 PM
Yup, 5k intervals.

FoMoCo you are wasting a lot of the that oil with a 5k interval. The base number would still be really high at 5k but I know where you are coming from. It's hard to force yourself to go more than that.

Yeah I know but with DI oil dilution I'm just more comfortable with these intervals.

I'm gonna get my next change tested to see where I'm at.

I'm gonna swap out that tranny fluid at the same time  ;)

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 07, 2015, 02:55:00 PM
Yup, 5k intervals.

Yeah I know but with DI oil dilution I'm just more comfortable with these intervals.

Waste or not... makes me feel better... high compression and turbos = performance. but also increased blowby... I never go longer than 5K between changes and my dealer has no problem doing that on my prepaid 70K mile maintenance agreement.  It is also very dusty here which also spurs me on.  I take them the Amsoil signature... They do the rest.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

AJP turbo

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 07, 2015, 03:06:14 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 07, 2015, 02:55:00 PM
Yup, 5k intervals.

I hear ya, but you would be surprised by an oil analysis. The group IV/V synthetic base stock oils are basically indestructible and the old oil change intervals don't apply anymore...LOL I'm just saying. I do the same thing and change at 5K but I just say this because some don't know that you can go more...I know but I choose to waste so I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

Waste or not... makes me feel better... high compression and turbos = performance. but also increased blowby... I never go longer than 5K between changes and my dealer has no problem doing that on my prepaid 70K mile maintenance agreement.  It is also very dusty here which also spurs me on.  I take them the Amsoil signature... They do the rest.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

BiGMaC

Of course this thread was started by theOP to ask about sooty tailpipe tips, not oil... Back on track...

IHeartGroceries

I can't think of a way in which grade might effect tailpipe emissions anyway. Volatility might.

I haven't seen the shiny of my tailpipes in months. I've just accepted them as blacked out now. Lol
2013 SHO PP