• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU filtration

Started by lamrith, February 22, 2017, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

So new guy here, tried a search and did not see anything about this so throwing it out there.  Some of you guys here are really into these cars and the industry and maybe my idea will spark something? :icon_idea:

Has anyone researched some sort of filter system for the PTU?  The PTU cooler I believe is running engine coolant thru the PTU not actually circulating PTU fluid thru the cooler?  So that system will not be of use based on what I have read.

But with the 13+ and PP cars could something be done?  Those have a drain and a fill port in the cases to use for in/out.  Would there be enough movement in the fluid during normal operation of the unit to have it circulate out the drain and back in the fill port?  If that is not possible, maybe a few fittings and a secondary pump and filter setup?  It would not need to be any real sort of flow, even 1gpm would be a night and day improvement I would think?  I could see the temp sensor possibly be a concern..?

Thoughts?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Gjkrisa

Think that would be better then the current ptu cooler. IMO

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

lamrith

Quote from: Gjkrisa on February 26, 2017, 02:26:37 AM
Think that would be better then the current ptu cooler. IMO

Theoretically yeah, though cooling would require higher flow to achieve real cooling.  It would be better for he oil to have a dedicated small cooler itself.  Current cooler setup forced the oil to engine temp since it uses engine coolant cycled thru the housing.

Challenge so far in my limited search is a suitable 12v pump.  Many are high flow, or the low flow are cheap plastic I would not trust my cars lubrication to.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Sbouvia

Would this work or is it too high flow?

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

I am trying to convince wife to let me take PTU off to clean it and drill drain plug. If I do that I think one of the pumps above and an oil cooler would be a great add for my non pp sho
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.
1991 F Super Duty 2.5 ton dump truck w/ 7.3IDI

Gjkrisa

If that's the case then possibly belt driven

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

lamrith

Quote from: Sbouvia on February 26, 2017, 11:52:37 AM
Would this work or is it too high flow?

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

I am trying to convince wife to let me take PTU off to clean it and drill drain plug. If I do that I think one of the pumps above and an oil cooler would be a great add for my non pp sho
Make sure there is a filter in there, I am sure heat contributes to the sludge, but you need to keep clean oil going thru a cooler or it will just clog.  plus is you are already plumbing, might as well go for it.?

I saw those pumps as well and that small one probably would fit the bill well I believe, just seems a bit expensive for a gear pump?

Hopefully some of the PTU/transmission pro's may be able to shed more light, but to me in a perfect system it would go: PTU->filter->pump->cooler->ptu.
Pump pulls oil from the ptu, thru the oil filter so the pump and cooler are protected from the sludge.

Here are some of the "hurdles" I see with developing a kit/setup for this. 

• What sort of pressure is there in the PTU normally?
  • Can the seals in PTU handle the possible extra pressure of a supplemental cooling system?
  • How well will that pump in the link above pull oil, some pumps are good at pushing, some pulling?  Ii is designed as a scavenge and I believe gear pumps typically are good at pulling oil.
  • Can the pump handle the heavier 75-140 oil used in the ptu?
  • Can filters to handle the gear oil also handle being under vacuum with the pump pulling heavy thru them?
  • For pressure concerns I could see the filter and pump be swapped, as that would probably limit the pressure going into the PTU because the filters will be the flow limiter and create back pressure to the pump.  But subjects the pump to heavier wear.  Of course with a filter running at all it should be limiting the overall grit in the oil anyway... PTU->pump->filter->cooler->ptu
  • Is there a factor/setting in the ECU for temp?  Would being to cold cause DTC's or other harmfull side effects
Thoughts from the experts?

Here are some other options I saw, might be worth trying one even just short term for a proof of concept before dropping the coin on the top line pump designed for high temp turbo oil.
shurflo-automatic-demand-pump

White 12v 3.7gpm Oil Self priming

Sbouvia

I think unless you got a continuous duty pump, you would have to turn on at a certain temperature. This would allow the pump to cool down between runs and also allow the unit to heat up to a predefined safe zone if your worried about being too cool.

I'm thinking the filter before the pump as the metal shavings could really hurt a pump. If only thing to be filtered would be magnetic particles I wonder if there is someway to make an electromagnetic filter to get those particles out, I know crazy idea lol.

I know the front area may be full already so the ancillary cooler may be able to go towards the rear and have its own fan.

I think a proof of concept is a great idea, suppose you could try proof of concept with a typical differential.
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.
1991 F Super Duty 2.5 ton dump truck w/ 7.3IDI

lamrith

Still mulling this sort of thing over. I am installing DP this weekend and have PTU oil on the way so I will do the cars 1st PTU oil change this weekend.  Once I am actually under there to really see the vehicle layout I can look at this more.

BIG question and Sbouvia got me thinking more about it.  Is there a way (PID)? to monitor the PTU oil temp?  Is there a recommended temp it should be at?  We do not want cold I am sure, but how warm is warm enough and how hot is too hot?

I have a feeling that unless the car is being tracked, just having the extra capacity to fill the oil lines, pump and filter will got a good way toward cooling the overall temps, plus being cycled out of the hot PTU and thru oil likes in open air will also help.  It might not even need an actual cooler depending on temp range.