• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

High idle

Started by WickedSHO, January 08, 2015, 06:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WickedSHO

Hey guys, got a question.

For the last few days I have noticed that even after I get the car warmed up to temp, it isles at about 800-850.

Before it would settle to about 600-650.

Only mods since I noticed the difference is the new MDesign CAI.

The temps here in Chicago have been cold. Could that cause the higher than normal idle?
2014 SHO Ignot Silver. MDesign CF Intake, 3 BAR MAP, 160 T-Stat, LMS 93 OCT V8 tune.

ZSHO

Its primarily to the weather being so cold,did the high idle issue start when the temps reached under 7 degrees?? also it has nothing or any relations to Ahmads CAI.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BiGMaC

Z is correct... and your initial open loop is likely to be 1000-1100rpm... does take to much cold weather to do that.  After the block is warm mine slows down to 600-650.  Very cold weather will cause it to persist. Mine did this last year too before the MDesign CAI and does it again on days when it cools off here.  truthfully it idles smoother at 750 to 800... may looking getting my tune modded for increased idle speed.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

WickedSHO

Yeah it was right around that time.

I was in no way saying Ahmad's CAI had anything to do with it. I'm actually quite happy with his intake so far. Can't wait for better weather so I can actually get on the car and see what it can do.
2014 SHO Ignot Silver. MDesign CF Intake, 3 BAR MAP, 160 T-Stat, LMS 93 OCT V8 tune.

SHOnUup

I was still in the 650 range today with -15*. Maybe she's getting used to it now. I know our truck definitely idles higher in the cold. Car gets garage parking though, this could help a few degrees. I did lose 2 psi per tire over the last week cold snap though.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

WickedSHO

If I get on it a bit, it will settle down to the 650 range but with the snow and crappy streets, that's not possible.

Thanks fellas for putting me at ease a bit.

SHOnUup

Yeah, that little bit in cold weather sounds perfectly normal.

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

BiGMaC

Quote from: WickedSHO on January 08, 2015, 06:46:48 PM

I was in no way saying Ahmad's CAI had anything to do with it. I'm actually quite happy with his intake so far. Can't wait for better weather so I can actually get on the car and see what it can do.

Didn't even consider that, no worries... I was just trying to illustrate that it's apparently inherent in ECM programming... acts the same with DP's this year, and last, as it did before them with respect to idle speed and the same is true of tuning in my car.

FYI, I spoke with Ahmad today and he told me he has dyno time scheduled in about 2 weeks for testing his CAI in the SHO

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ZSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on January 08, 2015, 07:02:41 PM

Didn't even consider that, no worries... I was just trying to illustrate that it's apparently inherent in ECM programming... acts the same with DP's this year, and last, as it did before them with respect to idle speed and the same is true of tuning in my car.

FYI, I spoke with Ahmad today and he told me he has dyno time scheduled in about 2 weeks for testing his CAI in the SHO
With the LME tune its programmed to drop around 600-650 correct,Z.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOnUup

Quote from: ZSHO on January 08, 2015, 07:14:07 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on January 08, 2015, 07:02:41 PM

With the LME tune its programmed to drop around 600-650 correct,Z.
Seems to be right there for me all the time.

Rich

wasinger3000

I actually bump mine up in the winter for faster warm ups when remote starting. I have it set to 750 idle now.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ZSHO

Quote from: wasinger3000 on January 09, 2015, 02:05:20 AM
I actually bump mine up in the winter for faster warm ups when remote starting. I have it set to 750 idle now.
I guess datalogging has its advantages sometimes,dont bump it up to high in real cold weather,and you will eat up your brakes in a week!!!!

wasinger3000

Quote from: ZSHO on January 09, 2015, 07:14:38 AM
Quote from: wasinger3000 on January 09, 2015, 02:05:20 AM
I guess datalogging has its advantages sometimes,dont bump it up to high in real cold weather,and you will eat up your brakes in a week!!!!
Now that I start it from my phone its always up to operating temp when I get to it. I love this car! I even scheduled it to start at a set time for when I get off work. 8)
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.