• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Which Airraid??

Started by 02nbmformula, December 29, 2014, 07:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02nbmformula

Just bought a 2014 Explorer Sport and it looks like the air raid is the best intake to go with. I went to order it off of summit's website and there are 4 different intakes, which one should i get?  Is there any difference?
2014 Explorer Sport

SHOnUup

I'd go for the MDESIGN CAI if any. The Airaid intake for the ExSport leaves a huge gap where it tries to meet the hood and allows for hot air to be sucked in from the engine bay.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

... The facts on fitment are as stated below for sure.

However, I don't know if the MDesign CAI will fit the X-Sport, but I do love mine!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

mval

i have airaid on  my sho, as k &n didn't have one then nor LME. i would not get it again for a very simple reason, on my sho it covers up the tranny dipstick, so have to remove it to check fluid level. by far the best design is the mdesign one but if it fits is another story. i'd pm him, but if you want an airaid i think there is probably a gently used used one around.
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

BiGMaC

One other thing to note... many users have experienced a decline in performance with the Airaid on the Flex and SHO... some even lost as much as 0.1 sec in a quarter mile. They got it back by reverting to OEM intake for the next run same night. 

Many reasons to get a CAI... just be aware of potential problems seen.  Sound and eye candy may be enough to go that way, but as Mike says... pick up a gently used one.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

MDesign Performance

2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

PokerMunkee

2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

bigmoneycloser

I have a 14 Xsport and the MDesign fits perfect!
And I like it 10x better then the air raid I had first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

TSS

Quote from: mval on December 29, 2014, 09:39:46 AM
i have airaid on  my sho, as k &n didn't have one then nor LME. i would not get it again for a very simple reason, on my sho it covers up the tranny dipstick, so have to remove it to check fluid level. by far the best design is the mdesign one but if it fits is another story. i'd pm him, but if you want an airaid i think there is probably a gently used used one around.

Ahhh. I forgot all about that dipstick flaw. That is one of the primary reasons I also got rid of mine (plus not enough noise under acceleration for me).  I went back to stock and later got a K&N. MDesign is how I would go today.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

TTSport15

Had the k&n then switched to Airaid with k&n ther is a turbo whistle sound wen u get on it Airaid is like stock no sound at all
I Bleed BLue

AJP turbo

I called air raid before and got the specs on the filter...it had the highest flow rating in cfm than any other filter becuase it had the most filter media surface.

I have no way to tell if that really means anything and no way to measure results but at high boost levels that statistic should equate to the lowest pressure drop across the filter and that is always good for turbos
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

If your only referencing to sound than the K&N CAI would be on TOP as the loudest followed by the Airaid CAI and last but certainly not least in this category is the MDesign CAI and of course then there's stock. IMO. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sholxgt

Judging by the number of large insects that make their way to the K&N air filter in the stock box, the stock front facing snorkel must work to some degree.  The box itself and filter size don't seem too bad either.  Maybe some trimming of the stock front facing snorkel area would help even more.

In the end, I'm not sure if any of the aftermarket intakes will perform much better than stock.

The MDesign sure is nice bling for the engine compartment though!!!
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

I have heard that the front snorkel on an MKZ has a larger opening than on the one for the Fusion, and they interchange, at least on the Gen 1.5 Fusion.  I don't know if the same is true for the SHO and MKS tho.  Maybe look at XSport and Flex also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!