• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

driver seat popping noise

Started by fastpa5953, March 06, 2014, 09:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastpa5953

2011 Ford Taurus SHO w/4500 plus miles.
I noticed while driving a I occasionally hear a popping noise come from the bottom of the driver seat. My son's 2011 SHO has the same problem. Anybody else have this occur? If so is there a fix or is it one of those gremlin things.
Any help/feedback would be much appreciated.

mjhpadi

Both my seats started inflating the lumbar on their own and they got repaired last summer.  Apparently Ford is aware of the problem with the multi-contour seats but it took 2 days for the dealer to do the repair because both seats had to be removed. I didn't have any strange sound (popping or otherwise) coming from the seat, best bet is to have the dealer look at it.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

interceptor

Yes, 2013.

It would pop over bumps, during turns, braking, accelerating.  It took some time, but I narrowed it down to the seat.  I could duplicate the pop by bouncing around in the seat or forcefully grabbing the seat and moving it side to side.

I took it to the dealer.  They said it was a seat track.  They ordered a new track and started tearing it apart.  It took almost a day, as the dealer said it was a much bigger job than they thought.  They called me mid job and said that some type of brace that hooked to the center console had also come loose.

I got the car back after the fix.  Guess what-still pops.  Much quieter than it was before, but it is still there.  Of course I'm listening for it and am very anal about my car.

I'm going to let it continue for a bit to see if it gets louder like it was before.  Then it is going back.  It drives me nuts to hear it.

Let me know if you have any better luck fixing it so I can report it to the dealer.
'13 SHO, non PP, all other options.  Stock for now.

bykr

I think I'm getting this also.I thought it was under the car,but everything checked out ok.It is irritating.
2010 Taurus SHO
Steel Blue Metallic
LMS stage 4 tune

fastpa5953

It appears that there is at least 4 of us are having this problem and it is annoying. I am going start tearing into it this weekend to see what I can find. I will post if I find anything.
Thanks to all.

bykr

Now that I've heard it more it seems to be under the passenger side,usually when starting out from a stop.
2010 Taurus SHO
Steel Blue Metallic
LMS stage 4 tune

elund126

My passenger seat started doing this about a month ago. I only hear it when I accelerate or stop, and when someone is in the passenger seat. Very annoying. I thought maybe one of the bolts holding the seat to the floor were loose, but they were all tight as S.

I am also interested if anyone finds a fix.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

interceptor

Well, my seat actually got quiet for about 3 months.  It is now louder than ever.  It pops over every road imperfection.  Has anybody had any luck on a proper fix for this issue?  I've seen a few complaints on other Taurus sites.  Seems the dealers keep replacing the seat tracks, but nobody seems to have cured the problem for good.
'13 SHO, non PP, all other options.  Stock for now.

91hybrid

My driver seat pops too. Mine is not the bottom, but the back. It pops somewhere between the lumbar and shoulder area. I deflated my lumbar air bag and the poping is less but still there. I haven't built up the heart to take it to the dealer.... I have trust issues...

John
2014 SHO -PP, Unleashed Tuned, 3bar, Devils Own 100% meth, PPE catted down pipes, 3rd cat delete, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, 170 deg, NGK 7's plugs, hot pipes - White Platinum 401a
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
non meth 13.11@103.6 (knock limited)
Meth pass 11.991@114.28